What's the best accent?

Whats the best accent?

• Total voters

Dave Payn

What's the best accent?

One with a sforzando underneath it!

I thangyewlaydeegennlemen. Youbeenawunnerfulaudieceaaannndgoodnight! ;-)

paddo

ti's qhite simple in'it, yorkshire thru en' thru.

if thas gunna pick sumat it's gota bi'a yorkshire un!!!

jambo

County Durham has the best accent, kind of a more rounded Geordie and not as common as the Macams. As a Smoggy I have to say that aside from the Brummies, Teesside has the worst accent its like Scouse with the class kicked out of it.

If the poll was for call centres though it would have to be the Welsh. It doesn't matter what they're flogging or what you want, a happy sounding welsh bimbo on the other end of the phone always seems to make the call more enjoyable.

Trouble is at the moment most calls seem to come from Bombay...nuff said. :shock:

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
Has to be Southern Irish. It has a lovely lilting rhythm to it. I was over there last week and I could listen to the locals talk all day. (Which is what most of them did! :wink: )

Dave Payn

To put a serious answer to all this, I don't know about other regions but I'm amazed at the change in the London accent over the years. Whilst there have always been slight variations within London, listening to the war vets on the D-Day celebrations this week, the 'London' they talk is vastly different to the 'London' the youngsters speak here nowadays. Personally I prefer the 'old' London accents. (Even the one Dick van Dyke 'portrayed' on Mary Poppins is preferable to the London accents of the youngsters!)

nickjones

Hey calm down with the stereotyping....
I am Welsh and I have never heard a welshman or woman say " BOYO " :roll:
Also Jambo....Welsh Bimbo's..mmmmm you obviously dont know Welsh Women then.. :roll:
can't beat scottish accents...very nice :D

dyl

nickjbeaumarisband said:
Hey calm down with the stereotyping....
I am Welsh and I have never heard a welshman or woman say " BOYO " :roll:
Also Jambo....Welsh Bimbo's..mmmmm you obviously dont know Welsh Women then.. :roll:
can't beat scottish accents...very nice :D
Hey - chill out, Boyo!

And, have you ever been to Caernarfon, Nick? ;)

PeterBale

Staff member
nickjbeaumarisband said:

I don't know whether I should post this (particularly with my wife being Welsh :oops: ) but your reference above reminds me of the "Not the Nine O'Clock News" spoofs: At the time there was a series of adverts to encourage businesses to invest in Wales, the first one listing firms (to the tiune of "Men of Harlech") which had moved there and prospered.

The first advert listed various unsuccessful companies - "Failed in Wales"
The second referred to various products - "Made from whales"
The third gave a list of Welsh ladies' names - "Laid in Wales" :shock: :oops: :wink:

nickjones

hey Dyl they dont say Boyo in Caernarfon....
and I wouldnt call a cofi bird a bimbo...I like my teeth where they are mate...

Maestro

PeterBale said:
I don't know whether I should post this (particularly with my wife being Welsh :oops: ) but your reference above reminds me of the "Not the Nine O'Clock News" spoofs: At the time there was a series opf adverts to encourage businesses to invest in Wales, the first one listing firms who had moved there and prospered.

The first advert listed various unsuccessful companies - "Failed in Wales"
The second referred to various products - "Made from whales"
The third gave a list of Welsh ladies' names - "Laid in Wales" :shock: :oops: :wink:

I remember that one well Peter. I thought that that was one their best sketches.
I even bought the album with that on it. It never fails to make me chortle most heartily :lol: :lol:

DublinBass

Supporting Member
I think I'll go with Yorkshire for this survey (since it seems to be limited to Great Britain). I love the way they say "trumpet" and "pub" up there.

I think the canadian accent (from the Great Lakes) is my favorite though.

Roger Thorne

The 'Poll' only allows us to select 10 categories, so apologies for not going international.

I'm sure someone will 'poll' the 10 best 'International' accents soon.

:wink:

Wonky_Baton

I come from Hetton and all the old Durham Colliery villages have a fantastic accent and vocab all of their own. A lot harder sounding than Geordie. More goedie with brains!! mackem accent is the word with no H's at all. "Whees Keys are these!! ":wink:

Yorkshire every time but not from round Leeds way (my neck of the woods) or East Yorkshire where they seem to say stuff like 'roerd' instead of 'road'. 'alifax and 'uddersfield are more like it and there's nowt like a good Dales accent.

I also like Cumbrian and Southern Irish accents. Favourite Scottish accent is the Charles Kennedy/John Reid sort.....are they from the same place?? And NO, I don't have a thing for politicians :shock:

Brian Bowen

There used to be a "BBC English" accent -- very proper but not as plummy as some of the aristocracy. Nowadays I notice BBC announcers/presenters are far more varied -- as a celebration of the many British dialects, I suppose. Generally, English grammar is maintained though, which means avoiding a lot of catch phrases previously mentioned in this thread.

When I was at school a teacher used to complain about our southwest Middlesex accent (Staines) and I must say I don't care much for it either.

ScrapingtheBottom

I was brought up watching the news so I didn't really develop a strong accent :cry:.

Best accent for me is Scottish, esp. weegie cos it reminds me of me gran (RIP).