What's in a name?

Will the Sec

Yesterday, my surname, Elsom was typed as Pillstone.

I then spelled it out phonetically, and the international bright young thing behind the desk typed "PLSEN". Oy vay.

I said, "No, E for Echo." She types "PE".

I said, "The Name is Elsom. If you can't type that correctly, even with my spelling it out phonetically for you, you'll never find my name on your list and I might as well go back to my office."

In desperation, it became E for Elephant, L for London ("As in the city?" "****Seething under breath***** Yes.") S for Sugar O for Omnipotent ("?") M for Mother.

As a result of this, I have changed my surname to Polyp-Monkeywrench-Hairspray. (Mods, can you change my account name please?***)

(***Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding *** This is a joke. Please don't do it!)

You heard it here first.

stephen2001

As a Stephen, I've got used to explaining that it is spelt properly with a "ph", and also the street that I live on has a really awkward spelling which always needs spelling out!

A seperate story that I have been told is a kid who is sent to school for the first time. When the teacher asked for his name, he replied "Gooey Miss". She then asked for his real name and again, he said "Gooey Miss". The teacher still didn't belive him and asked one of his friends who confirmed that he was known as Gooey.
The teacher rang Gooey's Mum who came into the school at the end of the day to sort it out. When asked to explain her son's name, she spelt it, "g-u-y" :!:

:shock:

mikelyons

Supporting Member
MRSH said:
Some parents just haven't got any sense of compassion :shock: :shock: :roll:

As a teacher I come across all sorts of similar things. Parents just don't seem to care what they do to their children:

Latest unusual one is a girl called Levi! Apparently named after a pair of jeans.

There were also two brothers called Sean and Sean (pronounced Shaun and Seen).

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Dave Payn

mikelyons said:
MRSH said:
Latest unusual one is a girl called Levi! Apparently named after a pair of jeans.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Then of course, there was the Beckham's first child, Brooklyn, named after the city he was conceived in. If we follow that train of thought to its logical conclusion, does that mean their other kid Romeo was conceived (a) on a balcony or (b) in the back of a sports car?

drummergurl

Naruco said:
People always ask how to spell my name... and I've always heard various different pronounciations and spellings with Naomi....

Naome, Nowmi, Namie, Naoemie, Neome... etc

If I get asked, I just say it's "I Moan" backwards and they never forget ever again! ;-)

:lol:

hahahahahahahaha LMAO

thats funny that!!
and quite true
:lol:

*runs and hides from naruco!*
ok the thing that really gets on my nerves is when people miss the h off the end of sarah, also ive had people that cant spell chapman, and no matter how much u say its got a P they always put a t, making me chatman. strange people

Dave Payn

[quote="drummergurlok the thing that really gets on my nerves is when people miss the h off the end of sarah, also ive had people that cant spell chapman, and no matter how much u say its got a P they always put a t, making me chatman. strange people[/quote]

I wonder, then, whether Harold Shipman had a similar problem.... ;-)

mikelyons

Supporting Member
Dave Payn said:
I wonder, then, whether Harold Shipman had a similar problem.... ;-)
That would do wonders for the shipping foreecast.

Do you think the mods will pick it up if we write p instead of t?

I'll have a P/T Bob :wink: :wink:

Having said that, Crat would have a problem :)

mikelyons

Supporting Member
Just as a kind of scatological aside, try singing these lines from the second verse of the Gondoliers song "Take a pair of sparkling eyes..."

Take a pretty little cot,
Quite a miniature affair
Hung about with trellised vine
Furnish it upon the spot..

:shock: 8)

drummergurl

mikelyons said:
Just as a kind of scatological aside, try singing these lines from the second verse of the Gondoliers song "Take a pair of sparkling eyes..."

Quite a miniature affair

how confusing, wot r u on about?? (and no i dont have a brain)

akwarose

mikelyons said:
MRSH said:

As a teacher I come across all sorts of similar things. Parents just don't seem to care what they do to their children

i know!! i know a girl called emma dayle..... *GODS HONEST TRUTH!!!*
and someone at my school is called jenna taylor (think about it)
i mean, how cruel!!!

Dave Payn

akwarose said:
mikelyons said:
MRSH said:

As a teacher I come across all sorts of similar things. Parents just don't seem to care what they do to their children

i know!! i know a girl called emma dayle..... *GODS HONEST TRUTH!!!*
and someone at my school is called jenna taylor (think about it)
i mean, how cruel!!!

I still have in my LP collection, a recording of 'Music from the Time of Elizabeth I' performed by The Academy of Ancient Music and Sneak's Noyse. In the latter group, I kid you not, the recorder player is one Ben Dover.....

mikelyons

Supporting Member
drummergurl said:
mikelyons said:

Quite a miniature affair

how confusing, wot r u on about?? (and no i dont have a brain)

Do you know the tune? If you do, sing the verse and listen to what happens when you sing the last line. Try to avoid singing the ship word!

mikelyons

Supporting Member
drummergurl said:
i dont know the tune and am still confuzzled
:idea: Can someone please sing it to her?
:idea:

Actually, dear it doesn't need that - just say the last line over and over again, don't breathe between the first two words on that line, just say it. You should notice something about the sound.

Ecoutez et Repetez
Actually, dear it doesn't need that - just say the last line over and over again, don't breathe between the first two words on that line, just say it. You should notice something about the sound you are making? :?:

Furnish it upon the spot...

You can't avoid this when you are singing it!

(Yawn - OMG. I am supposed to be on holiday :roll: )

drummergurl

ooooooooooooh i get it now, thats probably why my friend likes to sing "id like to build the world a house, and furnish it with...."

MoominDave

A friend had a school-friend named Jonathan Hoare. Jonathan had a sister called Penelope, known as Penny...

At university, the brass section in the Wind Orchestra several times managed to get Dan Gleebles included in the list of players in concert programmes as a Clarinettist.

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.