WHAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE FOR YOUR AREA TEST PIECE ?

jamie the euph

these are my choices let me know wat u think!

Championship section = Pagentry P Fletcher (my favourite Piece)
First Section = A London Overture P Sparke
Secound section = Rhapsody for Brass D Goffin(this is to hard for Secound section i wrekon but suppose bands need to be tested even this is alot to far for a First section band never mind Secound but i like the piece!)
Third Section = Kenilworth Arthur Bliss(this is to hard for third section i wrekon but suppose bands need to be tested even this is alot to far for a secound section band never mind third but i like the piece!)
Fourth Section = Main Street Eric Ball

Okiedokie of Oz

ted said:
Most of them will be competitive in A Grade but A Grade is too crowded in our system. Lately, we have seen B Grade bands picking A Grade pieces as their own choice at state and national competitions and doing a good job with them. So I guess if we were to introduce a new section (like UK's 1st section), it would comprise of the bottom half of A Grade and the top half of B Grade. (which is why I think Isaiah 40 would be a good piece)
!

Darn you New South Welshmen!!!!!! And Victorians!!!

Queensland has only 3 A Grade Bands....very popular section.

And just so you can gauge our A grade, previous testpieces have included
Tallis Variations, Le Roi D'Ys, Of MEn and Mountans, and this year is Leonardo. AS own choices, we have been known to reach for Year of the Dragon, Lowry Sketchbook, Enigma Variations, Hymn of the Highlands and Devil and the Deep Blue Sea.

Okiedokie of Oz

Oh yeah, and Darrol Barry's Cassation is the test piece for Qld's C Grade evnt next year, so maybe Darrol himself would like to help tranlsate that standard??

ted

Okiedokie of Oz said:
Darn you New South Welshmen!!!!!! And Victorians!!!

Queensland has only 3 A Grade Bands....very popular section.
Funny you should say that... there are only 3 A Grade Bands in Qld yet this year's NSW A Grade champions hail from Queensland!

Give us our shield back!!
*Shakes fist at that sunnier, more northern state of yours*

Ted

p.s. Did a band pick Hymn of the Highlands as their O/C? That's an interesting choice! What grade were they from and how did they go?

Steve

Champ: Blitz (Just kidding) Jazz
1st: Year Of The Dragon
2nd: Resurgam
3rd: Music For A Festival
4th: Laudate Dominum

I think they are all enjoyable pieces and bands wont get sick of them. Thats the most important thing to me, as for 90% of bands this is the biggest gig of the year. Havent played Music For A Festival/Laudate Dominum for ages so they could be the wrong way round.

Possibilities..... Dances & Arias, Connotations, Essence Of Time, English Heritage, Little Suite For Brass, New Buckingham Suite (the thing with animal noises!!! that was great).

Okiedokie of Oz

ted said:
p.s. Did a band pick Hymn of the Highlands as their O/C? That's an interesting choice! What grade were they from and how did they go?

Capricornia Silver, from Rockhampton, Qld. The Conductor is Dennis Illot, he's one of the bigwigs on the state and National MAB. They played the pice at the states @ Maryborough this year, and got 2nd behind Excelsior (the NSW Champs). Excelsior has become a force to be reckoned with!!!!!!!!

And did I hear someone mention Blitz?? :oops: I am still having nightmares about when I first sightread that part on eupho.

BigD

Champ: Concerto Grosso :shock:

1st - Dove Descending :?

2nd - London Overture :lol:

3rd - Royal Parks :roll:

4th - Music for a festival :!:

Picked a little bit tongue in cheek but would make sure there were no 'fluke' performances and would certainly make for a high quality finals!

This is a great question which as usual provides a lot of good debate.

There are just too many pieces to choose from, especially at Championship level.

One thing I would say is that I think the SA hs a lot of good music that could be used for Tests at lower levels and I hope in future they can be used. (I know Corpus Christi was used not too long ago.) I'd also second the opinion raised re The Ratcliffe Highway. Excellent music for Test purposes IMO[/quote]