What was your fisrt Solo?

Horace

My first stand up solo was Feelings at a concert in my local workingmen's club :D About 13 at the time, never been so petrified in my life, thought my legs were gonna buckle beneath me. And it still doesn't get any easier :p

Soppy

My first one with a band (I'd done ones with piano before) was Demelza at a County Youth Band concet when I was 14. In fact, I've only ever done about 3 or 4 with a band. Don't know why :?

bigcol

Tuba Smarties!!! What a piece - shame you don't hear it so much. A classic in the "Hootenany" vien.

BoozyBTrom

My 1st was the old trombone classic The Acrobat.

I remember being in a blind panic the piece before it. It was like waiting to be hung.

Dave Euph

Think it was Handel's 'Largo' - an arrangement by some bloke who I forget the name of. I didn't know I was playing it until the day of performance! :D

deave

mine was a second cornet part to 'away in a manger' at a school assembly. i nailed it but no-one recognised the tune!!

super_sop

Supporting Member
My first stand up solo was My ain folk played on flugal horn in Oswestry leasure center at our (then porthywaen band) christmas concert.
I was so nervous, and the solo was in the second half. at the break me grandad took me upstairs to the bar and bought me my first Brandy. been hooked ever since :lol:

kate_the_horn

the classic..

somewhere over the rainbow!!

lol, twas only a couple of months ago!!
i refused to go on, nearly threw up and went to the loo LOADS!

where have these nearves gone?

kel/kate
:wink:

Lyndsay

James Curnow's Fantasy for Trombone a few years ago. It's a good one, but is about gd 7 std and quite difficult.

Valvecap

erm... Love is like a red red rose... followed by harry james trumpet concerto - chalk and cheese that - but im new at this game really - started playin at 17.

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
**Desperately tries to remember**

I think it was "I Don't Know How to Love Him" on cornet proberbly in one of the parks in Leicester with the 'Foresters Youth Band. It's so long ago I can't remember :roll:

drummerboy

PeterBale said:
My first solo was George Marshall's "Ransomed"

Classic. Can't remember my first solo! Haven't done any solos :oops: Probably something out of an SA lyric book when I first started learning. Haven't done a solo at my current band (yet!).

Thirteen Ball

bassinthebathroom said:
Mine was "Forthy Fathoms" by Harold Walters,

Love it! :D Tremendous fun and a great excuse to crobar pedals in all over the shop. Bass solos are such fun, even when they're not very hard. Guess that's the point really!

MoominDave

'Jeannie with the light brown hair' on Euph when I was 11 was my first one with a band. I still have a recording of it somewhere! How the conductor (who'd decreed that I should do it) thought that that 7th jump to a top B would ever sound any good, I don't know. As it was, it turned into my first ever lip trill. Was so glad when it was finished that I practically ran straight back to my seat, but was dragged back out by the conductor for a bow :oops:

Straightmute

Lazy Trumpeter, in some Working Men's Club in Rochdale, on a Sunday lunchtime. I must have managed to play at least half the notes.

D

McChambo

'The Way We Were' on flugel. I was about 17 at the time, which is probably quite old for your first stand up solo with a band. I just remember being very embarassed :oops: and not knowing where to look :roll:

I still feel the same 10 years on.

bassinthebathroom

Thirteen Ball said:
bassinthebathroom said:
Mine was "Forthy Fathoms" by Harold Walters,

Love it! :D Tremendous fun and a great excuse to crobar pedals in all over the shop. Bass solos are such fun, even when they're not very hard. Guess that's the point really!
Just a shame they're all p**s takes really! :lol:

Keppler

Staff member
Georgia on my Mind for me.... Think it was for a contest, or did we do it for a concert first? Can't remember....

McChambo said:
'The Way We Were' on flugel. I was about 17 at the time, which is probably quite old for your first stand up solo with a band. I just remember being very embarassed :oops: and not knowing where to look :roll:

I still feel the same 10 years on.

Give over! You love it! With you wandering amongst the audience all smoochy-like. :wink:
Anyway, my first solo was 'Walking in the Air' in 1985 accompanied by the conductor's wife on piano. Paddock Youth Band them were t'days. I was 9. First one with the band was 'Annies Song'. Played with about as much feeling as a bowl of tripe. :lol:

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.