What was the first......?

What was the first ever contest you played in?

Mine was the Regionals in Scotland 4th Section Playing Bottom 3rd cornet for St.Davids High School.
Think it was 92 and the piece was "The Seafarers" if i remember rightly. :shock:

I was just wondering what other peoples baptisms to contests were like, reason being that a non playing friend asked me why im so addicted to playing and i just couldnt explain the buzz of my first contest to him so i was wondering if it was just me thats sad?!?

Ps i think my band were last that day aswell!!

Nuke

I cant even remember my first contest but it was probablly the areas in bradford about ten or more years ago. All the contests ive ever been in my band has come in the bottom two bar once where we came third so i think i might be a jinx really.
I think i carry on playing not just on my first contest but because of the constant buzz of doing contests and the social aspect of band thats really good.

missflugel

Mine was Hardraw Scar in 1996 on Saddleworth Festival Overture but my first big one was the 1997 Yorkshire Areas on Pennine Moors in the Fourth Section.

Jo x

bassinthebathroom

South West Brass Band Association Contest - 1st November 1997 - Princess Theatre, Torquay
Youth Section - Test Piece: English Folk Song Suite (Vaughan Williams arr. Frank Wright)
3rd Percussion :?

Dave Euph

Festival of Youth 2001 at Festival hall, London with Shropshire Youth Brass Band. Although only the winners and runners-up were announced, and we didn't get those prizes! So I don't know where we came.

For my first local contest with a senior band though, Manchester Open in Rochdale last November!

Okiedokie of Oz

Mine was the Nambour and District Contest of 1993. My first march, and my first real solo, where I scored 6th out of 26 beginners in my gae group!!! Yay for me!!

My first contest was for Lancing & Sompting British Legion in the SCABA contest at Burgess Hill in 1974 :shock: We played Arnold's Little Suite for Brass Band in the 2nd Section and WON!!! :shock: :shock:

I was hooked. :D

My first contest was with the Bon-Accord Silver 'B' Band in the 1996 4th section Scottish Championships. I remember I was playing bottom 3rd cornet and the piece was "Mexican Fiesta" by Ronald Hanmer. Despite the result (the band won!) hearing that piece still makes my skin crawl!

Mine was the nth Queensland Brass Band championships in 1998

I walked out onto stage, played my solo terribly and the was greeted by half the band at the stage door, informing me that my zipper was down and well... no need to go there.

lynchie

First contest was the final of the BBC Radio 2 Youth Band of the Year... I didn't have a clue what I was letting myself in for, but we won so it was a good start!!

Darth_Tuba

Mine was Hadraw Scar contest 1993 I think, playing 2nd horn for Hesketh Bank. Played Dimensions, Black Knight and a hymn (can't remember which). No idea what the result was that day, far too long ago for me to remember (can hardly remember what happened last week!). :)

Lauradoll

I was in awe at my 1st contest! I was 12 or 13 and it was Buckhaven and Methil Band, at the miners contest in Blackpool in 1992 (I think!!!) playing "the Young in Heart" by Eric Ball. 1st time away from home as well, spent all my £ in the arcade on the Friday night! Was class though, we came 6th and everyone was ecstatic except me, it took me a while to realise you don't usually win in banding!!! :D

Loads of music festivals as a kid, but my first 'proper' contest was the 2001 midlands area, playing 2nd baritone (urgh) in the 4th section. Played Sinfonietta Pastorale or something like that, and came 25th out of 25. Huzzah!

ScrapingtheBottom

sunny_jimbob said:
Loads of music festivals as a kid, but my first 'proper' contest was the 2001 midlands area, playing 2nd baritone (urgh) in the 4th section. Played Sinfonietta Pastorale or something like that, and came 25th out of 25. Huzzah!

I can just imaging the adjudicators comments:

"Baritones are not meant to rasp at C!"

Lauradoll

Okiedokie of Oz said:
Mine was the Nambour and District Contest of 1993. My first march, and my first real solo, where I scored 6th out of 26 beginners in my gae group!!! Yay for me!!

We spell that word differently here! Age or Gay?

My first 'grown up' contest was an entertainment contest in Doncaster in 1990 with Whitburn. Can't remember a single piece we played.

First contest I remember well was the Edinburgh Festival contest in the bandstand in Princes St. also in 1990. We played Cloudcatcher Fells with Major Parkes and it was really funny playing dead quietly and then the trains would come past! We won tho so the adjudicator must have heard us (or maybe he didn't.....).

louise0502

Brighton, when i was about eleven/twelve. On second horn. Tried to remember the piece, but the only thing i can think of was Eric Ball's Devon Fantasy, which may be completely wrong, but there we go!