What makes a good tour?

Chunky

The Cawston Band are intending to go to Germany in 2005. We have been speaking to a company who are used to organising such trips and will source concert venues etc.

We will be going for 1 week so really just wondering what people feel makes for a good tour (number of concerts etc), pitfalls, and perhaps can pass on any things that worked or did not work for them whilst on tour.

Cheers

Our band toured Germany for the second time in octoberlast year. Unlike yourself we organsed it ourselves, with a little help from a friend in Germany. Anyway, in answer to your question, 'what makes a good tour'......everyone workng together, commitment, a good balance of gigs and relaxation time, but most of all, lots of patience with each other in the organising stages.
Our expereinces of Germany have both been superb, and the hospitality was second to nothing. They love Brass bands, and if you get the opportunity, make a trip to the cathederal in Cologne, you can play at the enterance without permission, in the morning, just finish by noon as there is a service. The crowds are extra massive and very appreciative.

Enjoy yourselves.........
ps, where about in Germany are you going?

Chunky

Thanks for the reply Bob. We are going to Koblenz in Rhineland so the tip about Cologne could be used!

I must admit I am sure we might have been able to organise it ourselves, but as it is our first attempt at this we are looking for a helping hand in the organisation.

Steve

Make sure you have someone who speaks the language properly!!! Sounds daft but you would be suprised how many times we have been caught out while abroad! Dont rely on the bands students just because they are doing it at school.

eckyboy

Always worthwhile doing a bit of groundwork and try to tie up with some local bands.Handy for borrowing mutes,stands ets and for a good social event.

Well Worth It

Went to Germany with the County Band and were hosted and entertained by our twin county.
I was surprised at how accomodating the German people were, and they really do love their bands.
Food was layed on at most of the venues and audiences were substantial.
I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Euph-Bari

Chunky said:
Thanks for the reply Bob. We are going to Koblenz in Rhineland so the tip about Cologne could be used!

I must admit I am sure we might have been able to organise it ourselves, but as it is our first attempt at this we are looking for a helping hand in the organisation.

We Went to a Place Just Out Of Koblenz called Vallendar (i think) last summer - was a good laugh! we did three concerts overall at quite good venues
lots of places to go round there! and good Drinking!

Dave Euph

Important things:

- At least one concert every couple of days, or 3/4 for the week. Any more and you're too busy, any less and there's not much point going.

- Make sure rehearsals are everyday, you'll need to secure a room to use to rehearse. Rehearsals needn't be long, just regular.

- Make sure you tour the general area and play at plenty of locations rather than limiting yourself to anywhere in particular.

- Make sure there are no "really early" starts any of the days so there's plenty of drinking time at night!

Those are my opinions for how tours should work based on how I have felt previous tours I have been on have gone.

[edit] Take someone who speaks the language of the country you go to!

Di B

Best tour I did was one where there were 6 or 7 concerts in a week. First day was free though.

Also, all the concerts were in the evening. This left the day free to chill by a pool or go sightseeing. At all the concerts we were provided with a meal of some kind, and local wine too! :twisted: When we got back to the hotel we carried on drinking until we were kicked out of the bar!

I think fitting 2 or 3 concerts in a day is too much. At the end of the day people are taking holiday entitlement from work to go, so it isn't much fun if you are doing a hectic schedule! Also bear in mind distance to and from concerts - for example, you could do two local ones in a day and have a day off in your schedule! Don't think about doing two concerts in a row that both require long drives, and if you do travel a bit to one concert, suggest the bus leave mid morning so everyone can have a day out in that town and do some sightseeing!

The other thing I have heard others moan about is a tour where you have to keep moving from one place of accomodation to another. You never feel like you have unpacked and generaly feel messy. Best to stick to one area as a 'base' and travel around in my opinion.

Oh, and if you are in a hotel as opposed to stopping with a twin band, ensure that the bar stops open until the late early hours! We got kicked out at 5am - the cheek of it! ;-)

Aidan

mind you the beering does carry on while the other two factors are still occuring. Gutted i cant go at easter. I was going for about 2 days, before i realised i already had a gig :evil: :evil: :evil: