What is your least favourite piece of music?

davel1975

Coriolanus
Nimrod (that may be controversial but bring it on!)
Radetsky
The Talisman was dire (glad I didn't have to do it for the areas)
Procession to the Minster (again maybe one where people will disagree)
Tancredi (was ok the first thousand times I played it but now... :( )

Coverhead

Christian, did you play Prague ??????? It was dreadful, and I note it has never seen the light of day since 2003.....speaks volumes.
Admittedly I have never played it, I'm just basing my opinion on a recording.
I had heard (from several sources) that the piece was 'dreadful', but when I listened to it I didn't think it was all that bad. I'm in no way saying it's the single greatest work in the history of brass band writing, I'm just saying that I quite like it. Perhaps I just have a strange taste in music!! ;)

Many 'test pieces' don't see the light of day after the contest in which they are used but that doesn't automatically make them bad pieces. For instance, Elgar's Severn Suite was used at the Finals in 1930 and didn't 'see the light of day' until the Open in 96. Does this mean that it was regarded as a bad piece for 66 years?!

Llamedos

I have to say that I have several least favourite pieces of music and will nominate two of them. Boogie Woogie Bugle boy is one and Reet petite is another!!! Make me cringe every time I have the misfortune to play them!!!:mad:

Llamedos

I don't believe we've rached page 7 and there has been no mention of a gentleman who in my opinion ranks alongside Hitler and Mussolini......HAROLD WALTERS......
Surely he should never be forgiven for Hootenanny and Instant Concert??????????? (Amongst others...)
Hootenanny is Great-it's an old friend!!!:D

Instant Concert certainly ranks up there!! What about Light as Air?
But worst for me recently has to be "Keep Smiling Through" and "Barnard Castle" mainly cos i have had to play them to death ;)
Plus being a Bass player, anything quiet is a waste of time, bring on the loud stuff and let it rip!!!!!

Heather17

Instant Concert certainly ranks up there!! What about Light as Air?
But worst for me recently has to be "Keep Smiling Through" and "Barnard Castle" mainly cos i have had to play them to death ;)
Plus being a Bass player, anything quiet is a waste of time, bring on the loud stuff and let it rip!!!!!

Being a sop player I quite like Barnard Castle ..lol.... happy little tune :)

I don't believe we've rached page 7 and there has been no mention of a gentleman who in my opinion ranks alongside Hitler and Mussolini......HAROLD WALTERS......
Surely he should never be forgiven for Hootenanny and Instant Concert??????????? (Amongst others...)
Hear hear! Suffering both pieces at the moment. Hootenanny is the lesser of the two evils....just!

pbirch

Going slightly off kilter, (sorry) arrangements not including percussion, where a part marked 'tacet' is still printed for the percussion section.
No no, I think they are the best pieces ever :).
My least favourite pieces come out at Christmas time, Christmas Swing-along is the worst. No one should be allowed to write another Christmas march ever!
I was joking about percussion, but I do get annoyed at arrangements that use a gratuitous disco beat.

marksmith

In my earlier post, I forgot to include any piece that requires you to stand, clap, sing or anything, other than playing the music!!!:frown:

I have to say I'm in the Prague camp... though I do believe that Granite Variations takes some beating for awfulness. These are general observations made with my listener's hat on. But as a player the view is different. I remember a spell of rehearsals some years ago for The Corsair - interesting if you are a cornet player, but four pages of umchucks, constantly repeated while they tried to get to grips with their part was a dismal experience for the second horn and second baritone. Even Prague was more interesting from that perspective!!

Regarding Christmas type music the one I loathe is Schneewaltz.........

Last edited:

eflatbass

Supporting Member
.... but four pages of umchucks, constantly repeated while they tried to get to grips with their part was a dismal experience for the second horn and second baritone.
My worst umchuck experience was trying to keep up with Dennis Masters's rendition of Post Horn Gallop back in my days with Langley Band. He rattled through it at breakneck speed, whilst I alternated between on and off the beat on baritone.:eek:

Rapier

Supporting Member
In my earlier post, I forgot to include any piece that requires you to stand, clap, sing or anything, other than playing the music!!!:frown:
I'm with you there! If they think I can clap without the risk of dropping my expensive instrument, they can think again. And if I do put it down, give me more than a demi semi quaver to pick it up again before I need to play it! Fools the lot of them. :tongue:

JSA.

Dark Side Of The Moon has to be up there, also i agree with Born Free.

Oklahoma is probably my least favorite piece of music.

Also I completely disagree with Procession to the Minster " one of my favorite pieces"