What is your favourite march? (The Big Poll)

Favourite March...

• Total voters

Bariman

PeterBale said:
Favourites of mine would include:
from the SA repertoire:

Hadleigh Camp , Ray Steadman Allen (of course!)
Choose freedom , Kenneth Downie
The Warriors , Brian Bowen

Would love to hear someone play "The Warriors" at the Whit Friday contest :lol: :lol: :lol:

Razor

Bariman said:
PeterBale said:
Favourites of mine would include:
from the SA repertoire:

Hadleigh Camp , Ray Steadman Allen (of course!)
Choose freedom , Kenneth Downie
The Warriors , Brian Bowen

Would love to hear someone play "The Warriors" at the Whit Friday contest :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't recall ever hearing 'The Warriors'.

Has anybody recorded it?

Brian Bowen

Razor said:
Bariman said:

Has anybody recorded it?

The only one I'm aware of is by the Canadian Staff Band on "Spring Festival '86" (I have the cassette). I was unaware of one by Enfield Band mentioned by Bariman.

andyp

My favourite is O.R.B, and I was disappointed not to hear anyone play it at Delph last year (though we only got there at 9 o'clock)!
I also like Praise, Goldcrest and Ravenswood, and would include Senator, purely on hearing Navigation Brass play it a few Whit Fridays ago, I haven't heard any march played better yet, and I think they won that contest that night too!
From a purely playing point of view it has to be Standard of St.George, we start Croston walking day with it every year, and in between the houses with the crowds of people both sides it always sounds great!

ted

There is an Australian march called "High Command" by Wilbur Sampson. Best march I've ever played.

Ted

Razor

Bariman said:
Razor said:

Has anybody recorded it?

The only recording I know of is a 1977 recording by Enfield.

Any idea of the title of the Enfield recording? I may actually have it amongst my collection of LP's. :oops:

PeterBale

Staff member
Recordings of "The Warriors":

The Enfield recording is on a combined effort on the Word label, featuring Enfield band and Hendon Songsters, and entitled "Banners & Bonnets".

It has also been recorded by the Amsterdam Staff Band (their 1985 tour cd "Crusaders") and by Coventry City Band on "Sounds Triumphant" (1993)

Trigger

At the beginning of rehearsal on solo cornet it's Sladeburn!! No No, I'm only kidding!!! :lol: I like Ravenswood , the Contester and the Cossack.

satchmo shaz

I love the Cossack, Ravenswood and punchinello but for a light easy march what about Captain Eric Balls Star Lake!

Andy_Euph

So many good marches but these are some of my favourites:

Raby - George Allen
Battle Abbey - George Allen
Glemdene - Jack Carr
The Wizard - George Allen
Mephestophieles (spelt correctly???) - Shipley Douglas
Brilliant - ???? Forgotten who wrote this

IYOUNG

Someone mentioned ''Under Two Flags'' earlier
:shock:
you are joking has to my all time hated march, total cheese.