What do you listen to?

dyl

Apologies if this has already been discussed - can't recall that it has, so here goes!

What are your other musical tastes apart from brass bands? What else do you listen to? I would have made this into a poll, but I would be sure to leave something out! ;)

Personally, I've been really into dance music for a few years, but find my taste changing now as I get older. In the office we alternate between listening to Radio 1 and Classic FM - depending on how stressed we get!

Current and old favourites include:

Underworld
Massive Attack
New Order
Royksopp
Banco de Gaia
Cafe Del Mar series of CDs
Film Soundtracks (anything by Morricone, John Williams and Hans Zimmer among others)
and loads more that I can't remember at the minute!!

Just thought we'd get an idea of how wide our musical tastes are as banders.

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
Progressive Rock: Genesis, Steve Hackett, Floyd, Yes, Witsend, Marillion, many others
Synth: All manner of synth stuff.... Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Oldfield, Tomita, Gary Newman
Classical: Barber's Adagio, Goreci - Symphony of Sorrowful Songs, minimalist genre, Gregorian Chant, loads more
Other: My own stuff!, Eminem (some), U2, Instrumental, Jose Padilla, dance r&b, 80's electro-pop, Pet Shop Boys, Duran Duran

just my .02c worth dyl...

dyl

Agree on Barber's Adagio, Eminem, Jose Padilla, Pet shop Boys, and 100% agree on 80s electro, John!

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
dyl said:
Agree on Barber's Adagio, Eminem, Jose Padilla, Pet shop Boys, and 100% agree on 80s electro, John!

from the same mould eh dyl... :) oh, and I forgot on eof my fav's.... Waterboys - the Whole of the Moon.... yeah!!!!

andywooler

Supporting Member
what cd's in the car

to answer this I thought what better place to look than the CD rack in the car! This is what I've been listening to of late:

Jazz - Arturo Sandoval, Maynard Ferguson (loads!) , Vince Jones (Australian Trumpet/singer), Spike Jones (Comedy musical genius!)
Rock - Yes, Jimmy Page and the Black Crows, Genesis, Pink Floyd
Orchestral Rachmaninov 2nd Piano Concerto, Elgar Cello (Dupree)
other Jeff Foxworthy - US comedian/country, Shania Twain

Interestingly, not a single brass CD in the car right now.

PeterBale

Staff member
Very broad tastes, going in phases:

Classical, especially late nineteenth/twentieth century (Mahler, Strauss, Bruckner, Stravinsky, Messiaen, Hovhaness, Hanson, Walton, Vaughan-Williams, some Britten)

Jazz (mainly early - pre 1940) and dance-band

Films and shows - particularly early recordings, original cast etc

SA band and vocal

Brass band / wind band(horror of horrors!) - currently enjoying Made In Harrogate

Cornishwomble

My fav band is Chumbawamba
I love bands like The Transplants, the Chilli peppers (still waiting for the brass band version of "give it away"!)
Also love Eminem and Dr Dre
Like most indie stuff really

I find brass band music is a bit hard to listen to on a car stereo as you can never hear the quiet bits, if you turn the volume right up you get a horrible shock when the FF kicks in

Fishsta

I like quite a lot of music... especially Queen. I was building up my collection, I've got all the studio albums, just waiting for the day when I have enough spare money to buy the live ones too.

It would be easier to describe the music I DON'T like, which basically consists of rap, and music which is described as "dance" or "trance".

And my real pet hate is talentless artists who take a perfectly good song, and use a cheap synthesizer or a Yamaha keyboard to add an extra drum beat to it, and release it as a "new song". For example: The Logical Song. Great song, terrible re-release by Scooter.

Brass Bands have more talent in their little fingers than people like that... and you don't see us in the charts like you do with them. There's something basically wrong with that.

blondie

I am quite catholic as far as music goes, but then it doesn't surprise me that musicians enjoy such diverse types.

I like Jazz, Classical, Thrash Metal, Heavy Metal, Ganster Rap, R&B, Garage, some Trance, 70's Disco, some Soul, 30' & 40's studio orchestra stuff, BB of course, some chart music and various chillout beats, Film Soundtracks, Classic singers - Dean Martin, Al Martino, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole etc and lots of Neil Diamond........the list is endless.

Straightmute

I listen to just about anything, the notable exceptions being Country and Western music and anything involving bagpipes, owing to a traumatic experience a few years ago which still keeps me awake some nights.

Current listening includes:

Cuban dance music
anything by John Adams or Steve Martland
some trance music composed by one of my students
Basie's Atomic album

...and an awful lot of band music...mainly test pieces and heavier stuff but also marches and good concert music.

Currently playing: Earth Dances by Harrison Birtwistle.

D

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
picju96 said:
Also can't stand organ music or bagpipes.

Awww picju96...... come on.... can I ask you 2 questions please.. each to their own I appreciate but...

1 - have you heard Vidor's Organ Symphony?
2 - have you heard the massed pipes and drums at the Royal Edinburgh Tatoo?

:wink: :D

Straightmute

TheMusicMan said:
2 - have you heard the massed pipes and drums at the Royal Edinburgh Tatoo?

Yes I have and it was hell on earth!

But worse was the York Millennium Tattoo. Just imagine a nightmare in which a there's this huge band where no-one counts and no one watches the beat and everyone hates each other, and there's a million bagpipers playing independently of one another and trying to outdo each other, from dawn till dusk. The nearest pub is more than five miles away, and worst of all, you're in charge and have to bring order and musicality to this chaotic scenario...

Oh no, it's all coming back to me. Nurse, nurse...?

D

PeterBale

Staff member
TheMusicMan said:
2 - have you heard the massed pipes and drums at the Royal Edinburgh Tattoo?

A solo piper can be very good, massed pipers aren't too bad, but small numbers are terrible! When we did the Berlin Tattoo with a couple of pipe bands, the pipe-major took ages carefully tuning all the drones and chanters, but they stilll sounded just as bad when he had finished.

groovy

As well as our school CD ( :shock: ), BB and a Russian quintet called Baroque Brass, I like the Red Hot Chillis latest album, Eminem, and some other odds and ends.

Bagpipes are alright! :wink:

super_sop

Supporting Member
Well if i look behind me in my cd racks i have, a variety of music.
mainly musicals, brass band stuff, and queen. also in there i can see classical, from all earas, and miliotary bands. plus some popular music that my wife listens to and nursery rhymes!!

Pythagoras

Straightmute said:
Basie's Atomic album

This is my favourite album at the moment. Other stuff I'm listening to are Madness, The Streets, Blondie, 'O Brother where art thou?' soundtrack, Queen and John Coltrane.

geordiecolin

My tastes are far ranging,

At one end of the spectrum i have some contemporary classical stuff (The Planets etc), the mandatory Brass Band stuff, through to Jazz (Ellington, Armstrong, Beidebecke, Basie), through to funky jazz (Tower of Power, Herbie Hancock, NYCJO). From there i suppose the most natural leap is Electro Jazz (Mr Scruff, Ninja Tunes) and from there to Trip Hop (Herbaliser, Coldcut, DJ Food), then across to Drum n Bass (Roni Size). Next we have Big Beat (FatBoy Slim, Lo-Fi Allstars), general Electro stuff (Underworld, 2 Many DJs, Chemical Bros, Prodigy, Massive Attack). We leads us nicely in a 90's stylee to BritPop (Stone Roses, Oasis, Blur, Charlatans, Dodgy, Space, Cast, The Verve, Pulp) and then to more contemporary Rock (The Coral, The Strokes, The White Stripes, The Hives).

As you can tell, i'm a bit of a music whore (is that allowed? edit if needed)!

This week i have listened to, Oasis - Definetly Maybe, Coldcut - Let Us Replay, Herbie Hancock - Headhunters, The White Stripes - Elephant, YBS - Windows of the World, Blur - Leisure, Mr Scruff - Keep it Unreal