What do you listen to?

drummergurl

i listen to rock fm, (only available in the north west of england!) evanescence, green day, eminem, muse, feeder, linkin park, coldplay, P.O.D., blink 182, good charlotte. stuff like that.

Vickitorious

I used to listen to loads of different types of music, but ever since I started to get really serious about my brass band music and playing, thats all I tend to listen to nowadays :)

I listen to so much music, from System of a Down to Bach. As long as i enjoy it i dont care what category it falls into. If you're into classial music at all though, i must recommend listening to the Ballad of Heroes by Britten, its just fantastic. :)

By the way Dave Payn... Rutter? i agree its definately easy listening, but if you want some music with a deeper meaning yet still incredibly moving, go to Britten, Tavener, or possibly Carl Jenkins- his new music's not at all bad...

MoominDave

Dave Payn said:
but I am a complete Bach freak. To me, he was harmonically and inventively way, way ahead of his time, as Mozart was very much OF his time (I know that remark won't go down well in some quarters! Sorry, not a Mozart fan....)

Not even of Mozart after he discovered Bach? I find his earlier stuff often rather vapid but his later works (such as the famous Requiem) speak much more powerfully. Had he, like Bach, lived to 65 rather than 35, I'm sure he'd be remembered as more than 'the ultimate tunesmith' that he tends to be perceived as now.

Speaking of those who were harmonically ahead of their times, the madrigals of Carlo Gesualdo are well worth a look... His biography is interesting reading too.

Dave

neiltwist

I like listening to all sorts of music, from resphigi to the darkness via jamiroquai, with the odd brass piece thrown in.

At the moment I'm listening to Tutti's Trumpets and Trombones, briliant CD, and for some reason Wuthering heights by kate bush, no idea why, but i quite like it. But my favourite has to be the Phantom of the Opera, All I ask of You, and right at the end the the medley. Pure class.

Steve

JessopSmythe said:
I am a big heavy metal / rock / punk fan which never seems to sit well when you try and explain you play a brass instrument. You tell someone you are off to a gig and they go "Oooh, a bit of Mozart, or even some Bach" and I say "No, Iron Maiden",

Me too steve. Are you going to any of the concerts this year? My wife bought me tickets for Cardiff in december :p . One extreme to the other, playing xmas music in abergavenny and pontypool saturday and sunday then moshing to Iron Maiden on moday night :twisted:

No, I have already seen them this year at Download, went on a festival frenzy this summer and they headlined the first day at Donnington. Absolutely excellent, even if Bruce Dickinson does look a little odd with a neat tidy haircut!! Sorry, not (brass) band related.

Dave Payn

MoominDave said:
Dave Payn said:
but I am a complete Bach freak. To me, he was harmonically and inventively way, way ahead of his time, as Mozart was very much OF his time (I know that remark won't go down well in some quarters! Sorry, not a Mozart fan....)

Not even of Mozart after he discovered Bach? I find his earlier stuff often rather vapid but his later works (such as the famous Requiem) speak much more powerfully.

Trouble is, it was his pupil Sussmayr who completed his Requiem. Having said that, the opening sections (by Mozart's own hand) do contain some of his best writing.

Had he, like Bach, lived to 65 rather than 35, I'm sure he'd be remembered as more than 'the ultimate tunesmith' that he tends to be perceived as now.

Maybe, Dave, but sadly, we'll never know! Each to their own, anyway. I certainly don't belittle any Mozart lovers, it's just not my cup of tea.

Speaking of those who were harmonically ahead of their times, the madrigals of Carlo Gesualdo are well worth a look... His biography is interesting reading too.

I must admit, don't know a great deal about him. Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a try!

Cheers Dave.

Dave

PeterBale

Staff member
Dave Payn said:
MoominDave said:

I must admit, don't know a great deal about him. Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a try!

Cheers Dave.

Dave

The Stravinsky reworkings of Gesualdo are also well worth exploring!

timbloke

Mine is similar to geordiecolin's i know this cos he's asked to "borrow" half of them. Personal favs of all time....

...actually i think i might start a nick hornby-esque high fidelity stylee top-5 thread.

see my top five there.

but the funkier side of drum and bass and beats, anything Gilles Peterson would play (Worldwide - midnight weds on Radio 1).

but also classic indie/britpop/guitar. especially the quieter side (belle and sebastien, gorky's, SFA etc. or soloists like ed harcourt, damien rice or beth orton) and the new stuff like the thrills etc.

lynchie

ooo, musical tastes!

well here goes

recently I have been mostly listening to

Pat Metheny
Nirvana
Chili Peppers
Dido
Jaco Pastorius
Marilyn Manson
Thin Lizzy
Pavement
and Sebadoh

However, included in my CD collection are...

Further seems Forever
Guns n Roses
Queen
The Darkness
The Coral
The Who
Feeder
Oasis
Blur
Happy Mondays
Nine Inch Nails
Disturbed
Led Zeppelin
Godhead
Beastie Boys
Smashing Pumpkins
Pearl Jam
The Offspring
System of a Down
The Specials
The Cult
and a few more I can't think of at the moment...

oh yeah and a few Christian Lindberg CDs and a couple of YB2K CDs, gotta have some exposure to trombones eh (ooh that reminds me... less than jake!)...

and I too cannot listen to bagpipes without feeling physically ill!