What do you do when you're not at band?

BoozyBTrom

Curious said:
BoozyBTrom said:
When I not a band im an Network Infrastructure Manager for a large plastics firm. ( Boring)

Gareth,

What's the name of your firm? I also work in the plastic industry for a company called RPC Group PLC.

Selwyn

We are a polythene manufacturer so not strictly plastics but close. i work for a firm called bpi British Polythene industries. We have a few sites in your neck of the woods.

BoozyBTrom

Straightmute said:
You are all suffering from delusions. There is nothing except band.

D

Wigan Warriors supporter

Oh no not another Pie Eater. Mr Straightmure how could you.

Castleford Tigers GGRRRRRRRRR All the way.

Curious

BoozyBTrom said:
Curious said:
BoozyBTrom said:
When I not a band im an Network Infrastructure Manager for a large plastics firm. ( Boring)

Gareth,

What's the name of your firm? I also work in the plastic industry for a company called RPC Group PLC.

Selwyn

We are a polythene manufacturer so not strictly plastics but close. i work for a firm called bpi British Polythene industries. We have a few sites in your neck of the woods.

Yep, we get stretchfilm from your Bridgewater site.

Small world!!

BoozyBTrom

daisygemma said:

No, No, No, No, No

It's just gotta be Bradford Bulls!

oh god not the bulls. this is going from bad to worse.

Singing voice *" Stand up if you hate the bulls. Stand up if you hate the bulls"
* to the tune of go west.

Straightmute

Oh yes I have many fond memories of your picturesque ground next to the chemical factory and some stirring manly encounters.

I went to school with Andy Gregory and when I was very, very young saw Wigan playing in the second division! Ditto Manchester United. And my best friend's dad had a pie factory! Oh happy days.

D

Fishsta

Could be worse... could be infested with Saints fans... >yuck<

OK, here we go...

My main job is currently that of the world's most boring and unrewarding profession... Accountancy. Yes, I've read the joke, and unfortunately I find it true and am often disgusted at other accountants (and people who try to sell things to accountancy firms). Especially this whole "value added" rubbish. What a great idea that is, give absolutely nothing to clients and charge them an extra hundred quid. They'll never know. Ooops, I think I wandered a bit far off topic there.

Band is my favourite hobby. It's been one of the most stable things in my life for the past 13 years, and has always been there for me.

Music is very important to me, I enjoy making it and listening to it. I have a broad taste of music, though I must admit to taking more than just a passing dislike to the current state of the charts, especially the number of re-releases that really offer NOTHING new to the original song. Especially those that get released with added "rap" bits, or rubbish like the re-release of "The Logical Song" with speeded up vocals and a drum and bass rhythm that sounds like it was added with a Yamaha PSS-470 keyboard.

In terms of sport... I used to play amateur Rugby League, but a series of leg injuries led to me being ordered to rest for a while. I've kind of got out of shape, but I'm thinking about going back... got to decide whether I'm going to or not. Rugby League is undoubtedly the greatest sport in the world, and I'm a Wigan Warriors supporter, currently dating a Bradford Bulls supporter from near Warrington :D. We have one thing in common... we share a deep hatred of St. Helens.

I work a lot with computers, I have a fairly beefy PC which I am steadily upgrading all the time. I spend a lot of time keeping it ship-shape, I can't stand a slow computer, I get quite annoyed with them. I spend a fair amount of time on the Internet, chatting and downloading stuff (recently found a demo of a new Rugby League game that's supposed to be coming out in the near future, http://www.hesinteractive.com is where it's at, if you're interested.... only 16Mb, so not out of range of 56K users!). I'm often getting asked to fix friend's PCs, and I run a few websites. Ideally, I'd rather THIS was my job and Accountancy a hobby (well, not a hobby, but maybe as a favour to friends, maybe a part-time book-keeper or something), but at the moment I just haven't found the job I'm looking for.

I'm also well into "Retrogaming", that is the act of playing the games of the past... if anybody shares this interest, can I suggest my friend Harvey's forums over at www.retrochat.com , you'll find many a retrofan there. This includes old handheld games, computers and consoles. I currently have a "gameroom" set up upstairs where I am steadily re-connecting all my old computers to a big TV. I've still got several to do yet, and I do aim to purchase some other classics from car-boot sales and the like wherever possible. (LARGE pic of gameroom here: http://members.aol.com/fishstaboy/gameroom.jpg )

I enjoy going to the pub, playing pool, and have recently stopped playing fruit machines. Up until last month, I was part of a large Fruit Machine Emulation community (if you're interested, look at www.dxcellent.com ), but the main forums got closed down and I've kind of lost interest in the scene now.

And finally, I enjoy the simple pleasures of life. Walking in the country, or the seaside, standing beneath a sky of stars and hearing the crash of the waves on the beach. Sometimes I dream of being a hermit living in a wood hut in Newquay somewhere... and then I realise that it's actually not that good an idea. On a nice day or evening, I like to walk round the local park and recreation areas, or down into the Yarrow Valley (Birkacre) which is a lovely nature reserve.

And this is probably the longest entry written in this forum so far. Please do not quote all of this if you're going to pick out one point from it. I'm on my knees begging now. And so is John's bandwidth. :D

Edit: noticed that the forum doesn't like one of the words I used, replaced it with "Rubbish" (cos "*beep*" looked daft :D )

picju96

Well mine isn't going to be as long as the one above.... :)
I'm at school doing my A-levels in Biology Geography and Music, and going to Warwick uni next October to do Biology. Music is a big part of my life, along with Jersey Premier Brass, I play lead trumpet in the school big band (which is going on tour in Italy in the summer), 1st trumpet in the school orchestra, 1st trumpet in the instrumental service's orchestra and wind band, and 2nd trumpet in a quintet, sometimes 1st. I also am a young leader with a Brownie pack, go the the gym regularly, and play tennis every week. I go out to town with my friends most weeks on Saturday nights, and have a Sunday job. Phew!

neiltwist

st helens, st helens, st helensssssssssss, st helens, st helens, st heleeeeensssssss.

oh when the saints, go marching in. oh when the saints go marchin' in. I want to be, in that number, oh when the saints go marching in!

can you guess who I support yet? (and who the best team in superleague is?)

frisp

I'm a cop (cue tree-hugging boo-ing) and love it. Very satisfying job 8)

Outside that, I've got band-I agree with the sentiment, what've you got time for, if you work and are into banding?

Other than work and playing the bass, I like to read anything I can get my hands on; watch films; talk to my wife; have a few beers (preferably with friends) :p

Fishsta

neiltwist said:
can you guess who I support yet? (and who the best team in superleague is?)

Ah, two questions. In answer to your first, no, but it's probably not Salford or Whitehaven.

In answer to your second, it's Wigan. Sorry.

Heather

There's obviously a connection between banding and rugby league here!!!
Ok, so I'm not that qualified to talk about rugby league being a Swinton supporter..I'll say it before you do!!!
Just to let you know my band will be playing at Huddersfield before the Challenge Cup semi final on Sunday 13th April!

EIBB_Ray

I'm a project director for a data services compnay that was purchased by a large British company (you'll get the states back one way or another won't you? No liability for any damage we've caused) not mentioning any names but they (we) publish an odd colored (or should that be "coloured") daily newspaper in London, amongst other things. When I'm not at band or work, I'm busy with my one year old son and projects around the house and yard (I have 6 acres to tend, so it keeps me busy) I try to golf when I have some spare time and watch (American) Football all winter (Go Pack) and try to watch some of the NFLe in the summer when I get anxious for the season to start. Any "Shuggie" fans around?

Oh, and unlike "Neiltwist" I'm an amatuer drinker. Haven't found anyone willing to pay me to do it yet.

neiltwist

EIBB_Ray said:
Oh, and unlike "Neiltwist" I'm an amatuer drinker. Haven't found anyone willing to pay me to do it yet.
I get paid to taste beer and make sure it's ok and not off
Heather said:
Just to let you know my band will be playing at Huddersfield before the Challenge Cup semi final on Sunday 13th April!

i'll be there the week after for NYBB!

and then watching the challenge cup final the week after in cardiff!

cornetgirl

daisygemma said:
No, No, No, No, No

It's just gotta be Bradford Bulls!

OH YES!!!!!!! A girl after my own taste!!!

I'm dead chuffed with the response to this....so much so that I forgot to finish my list of accomplishments...

I also play viola semi-professionally when I can, currently with Harrogate Symphony Orchestra and Airedale Symphony Orchestra. I also play violin (mainly trying to learn the big solo works not that I'll ever play them anywhere mind... :( ), I sing in my church choir, I play principal cornet for Wilsden Band, play any piano I can find and periodically blow my flute!

Oh, and I'm on the Harrogate Band committee (why me....?), chief agony aunt to all who need one, qualified chatterbox, wannabe arranger, tMP regular and loving support to the better half!!!!

Oh, and I support Sunderland and the mighty Bulls, and used to work at Bradford City AFC!!!!!

Rach x

cornetgirl

I've just cracked the link between banding and rugby league....

The consumption of immense amounts of alcohol!!!

And I've just remembered (and I hope Neal's suitably ashamed for not having added this to his post!) to add that I'm also proud godmother to Cornealia (see another thread!)

Rach x