What do you do for a living?

What do you do for a living?

  • professional musician

    Votes: 3 3.4%
  • administrative

    Votes: 9 10.3%
  • health care

    Votes: 7 8.0%
  • labouring

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • legal practitioner

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • sales

    Votes: 3 3.4%
  • IT

    Votes: 8 9.2%
  • police/prison/probation

    Votes: 2 2.3%
  • religious

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • transport

    Votes: 3 3.4%
  • civil service

    Votes: 5 5.7%
  • food and retail

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • in full-time education

    Votes: 9 10.3%
  • teacher

    Votes: 15 17.2%
  • other

    Votes: 22 25.3%

  • Total voters
    87

2nd man down

Moderator
Staff member
I'm an electrical project/sales engineer and work for a firm in Leeds (spit!) that manufactures Motor Control Centres (MCC's) and Control Panels - primarily in to the Water/Waste Water Industry.
My work in the sales office deals mainly with quotation of PLC (Programmable logic controllers) and SCADA (Supervisory Control And Data Aquisition) systems (sounds impressive huh?)...it really isn't. Boring as chuff.
 

Keppler

Moderator
Staff member
I write lovely glamourous software that does stuff. (Highly classified and can't tell anyone) I get to travel to lovely places, like "home", and "the office" and generally get all sorts of extra hours to fit all the work into.

Is wonderful really, although not quite as exciting as it sounds...
 

PeterBale

Moderator
Staff member
I am responsible for a 7-storey office block just off Oxford Circus, looking after Reception and generally making sure things run smoothly - one of those jobs where there can be little happening for long spells, but when things do go pear-shaped it's "all hands to the pumps" :wink:
 

ScrapingtheBottom

Active Member
I researching towards a PhD in Chemical Physics (or Physical Chemistry) at Nottingham University. Although I have a suspicion I'll end up teaching.
 

sparkling_quavers

Active Member
ScrapingtheBottom said:
I researching towards a PhD in Chemical Physics (or Physical Chemistry) at Nottingham University. Although I have a suspicion I'll end up teaching.
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo save yourself hehe :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

Big Fella

Member
I'm a Purchasing Analyst ( Buyer ) for an engineering company that manufactures very large gas & diesel engines.
 

Sharpy

Member
I completed my Band Musicianship Degree at Salford and couldn't stomach the thought of teaching so I joined the Royal Marines Band Service and am a Trombone/Cello/Guitar player in the RM Band Scotland. I get paid to do my hobby!! How cool is that!!(Going to war sucked tho!!)
 

WoodenFlugel

Moderator
Staff member
lynchie said:
I'm currently on a work placement training to become an engineer, with a company that designs and makes gas meters for domestic and industrial use... next year I'm going to Warwick University to study Mechanical Engineering, and to drink myself into an early grave...

Hey! Warwick Uni is just a stones throw from where I work!
 

Digger

Member
I'm an Archaeological Consultant - basically advise developers of their legal responsibility to preserve the countries National heritage, undertake research, set up and supervise excavations etc.

Before you ask no I don't have a beard, wear strippy jumpers or Jesus sandals and I have never been on time-team (although I do know quite a few people that have). Oh and excavations take longer than 3 days!
 

WhatSharp?

Active Member
Bum.. semi pro..

Though I have to earn a living as a Software Engineer (my wife told me I had to :( ), dullest job in the world. Always said if I won the lottery I'd quit in no time flat and set up a brass academy in London (zero money be happier than I am at the moment).
 

2nd man down

Moderator
Staff member
Digger said:
I'm an Archaeological Consultant - basically advise developers of their legal responsibility to preserve the countries National heritage, undertake research, set up and supervise excavations etc.

Before you ask no I don't have a beard, wear strippy jumpers or Jesus sandals and I have never been on time-team (although I do know quite a few people that have). Oh and excavations take longer than 3 days!

I wondered if you'd post on this thread, What a cool title...Archaeological Consultant!!
 

rickshaw

Member
Application Engineer.

Sell and design solutions for all industries using fibre optic transducers and embed them into SCADA systems etc (2nd man down has already explained so look at his post) Also involved with condtion monitoring systems for National Grid and Railways

I look after anything north of Birimingham (including Irleand and Scotland) for a company based in Dorset which means when I am not on the road I am based from home so get plenty of time to practice !!
 

Rambo Chick

Member
STUDENT!!! IM doing a music degree at Huddersfield University

JOB? well last summer hols i trained as a

'Versatile Compartment Embellisher'

In English- I polished Cardboard boxes!!! (Dont ask, i am still reeling from the horrific psychological impacts of this incredibly pointless and life sapping job!!)

Carolyn

flugel
utd co-op yorkshire
 

2nd man down

Moderator
Staff member
Rambo Chick said:
STUDENT!!! IM doing a music degree at Huddersfield University

JOB? well last summer hols i trained as a

'Versatile Compartment Embellisher'

In English- I polished Cardboard boxes!!! (Dont ask, i am still reeling from the horrific psychological impacts of this incredibly pointless and life sapping job!!)

Carolyn

flugel
utd co-op yorkshire

Pardon me for appearing stupid here but...how in god's name do you polish a cardboard box...and why???? (Very natty title tho, good effort!) :roll:
 

ScrapingtheBottom

Active Member
2nd man down said:
Pardon me for appearing stupid here but...how in god's name do you polish a cardboard box...and why???? (Very natty title tho, good effort!) :roll:

I'm sure I saw someone doing the very same thing down a back alley in Bangkok. It's best not to ask why I was down said back alley. :shock:
 

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.

 
 
Top