What did you start on?

Your first brass instrument?

• Total voters

WhatSharp?

My Son (8 years old) had started playing Cornet about 5 weeks ago, however he found it extremely hard going to get a note out of it. Just for the hell of it I borrowed one of the bands rather battered marching tuba's and he can play that really well, he seemed to take to it like a Duck to water. So it looks like I'll have to start saving... :(

I started on trumpet, switch briefly cornet after about a year (when I started playing with the school band) and then onto Sop.

What about all you folks out there?

PeterBale

Staff member
Started on a tenor horn that was in the school music room (apart from a bit of messing around on my sister's trumpet a few years before). Went to band practice Thursday night and found myself playing with the band on the bandstand in Wolverhampton at the weekend. Moved to baritone then bass trombone, and in due course onto bass, where I now mostly play BBb.

Fishsta

I know you've seen this before... but I started on Tenor Horn...

yian08.jpg

Then moved to Baritone, and then Trombone.

Finally, when I went to Lostock Hall, I went on Euphonium, but still enjoy playing Trombone when I get the chance.

Heather

Fishta....you were so cute!.......what happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I started on Baritone when I was 11 years old at High School and have been on it ever since.
I did have a yearning many years ago to play Flugel but that never materialised.

geordiecolin

I started on a very old and battered junk shop trumpet, before moving onto cornet which i played until i was 16. Then I moved onto Bass cos i got bored!!!

Lisa

I started playing on a flugel in our junior band when I was 9. When I moved into the main band I was put on third cornet. I felt self-conscious of the fact that I sounded different to everyone else so asked to go onto cornet. :? Hmmm, I kinda regretted that later on as the flugel's a lovely instrument but on the other hand, if I played flugel I would miss all the fast, bright tuney stuff that we get!

Btw, that picture is sooo cute :wink:

BoozyBTrom

I am a one instrument man. Learnt to play the trombone straight off. and was taught in bass clef. Only taught myself to read treble clef in the last 6 months

Sad Eh!!!!

super_sop

Supporting Member
I started on cornet, 1 of my dads mates said if i could blow a note on his olds ambasador cornet i could keep it.I could and i still have it to this day, although its a little worse for ware now. i just havent got the heart to get rid of it

yorkie19

My first instrument was Sop, with the SW16 Youth Band, and I steadily moved down the band to arrive at Bb bass.

Sam

PeterBale

Staff member
Roger Thorne said:
Same as me Yorkie, but I've moved down a bit further - played percussion and then became MD!
:wink:

You'll be after Simon Rattle's job in Berlin next :!:

groovy

I started on a trumpet, played that for about a year and a half. Then a few months on flugel (but I was playing cornet parts in a primary school brass band.) Next I played euph, with a little shot of baritone occasionally, been playing euph for 2 years and am now picking up trombone as well. :)

asteria

There were only 2 instruments left when i started learning at school - euph and horn. I was too small to carry the euph.....
I've been on horn ever since! :D

Helen

stephen2001

Started off playing a Tenor Horn aged 11 that my Auntie gave me when she bought a new one for herself and joined the local brass band.
After a year of banding, moved onto Baritione and a year later moved onto Euph.
Went back to Baritione for a bit longer and during that time, I got bought a Euphonium by my parents and then taught myself Trombone.
I finished playing Bari halfway though my A Levels when I left my 1st band, mainly due to lack of time.
Now, I also occasionally play Eb Bass as well as Trombone and Euphonium :?

groovy

Roger Thorne said:
It sounds like your on the same slippery slope as me and Yorkie.

:lol:

Nooooooooo...........

Well, the one and only bass player at my school will be leaving next year, and I expect I will inherit his post. :shock:

Mr Smiler

I started on cornet at 8 years old and moved onto euph when I was 13 and had a "double train-track" set of braces on my teeth. More out of necessity than choice.

Now I conduct my own band but play all sorts of other things in my local SA band - within the last few weeks I've played euph, horn, baritone, trombone, Eb and Bb basses!

How effectively I've played any of them is open to interpretation (why are all those people leaving...???)