What BRAND of mouthpiece do you play?

What brand of mouthpiece do you use?

• Total voters

Phil Green

Supporting Member
Ste69 said:
I play a Bach 24AW but its just about run its course and needs replacing so I'm looking maybe for something a bit different as it is a tad large - Any Tuba players out there with suggestions.

I originally started on Wick 4L and progressed to the Bach. I've heard of a few other makes available and wondered if anyone has any experience of others around the same size as the 24AW

You could try a Wick 3L, I don't know if it's my imagination but it feels smaller than a 24AW. You could also try a 24W, same rim but not as deep - good if you don't practise as much as you need to to control the AW.

Ste69

Cheers Phil. Apparently I need something at least the size of a 3L or 24AW to make enough noise (I'm not the loudest player!!!!) But I do find that the 24AW especially seems far too big for my face!!!! (If that makes any sense)

Cheers for the help though - much appreciated

ted

I play on a DW2NAL (euphonium), it gives me the best control and range compared to the SM2 and SM3.

Ted

brassneck

Regarding the switch from the Bach 24AW, maybe try the Schilke 66 or even the Conn Helleberg 7B. The Dillon Sheridan series of mouthpieces is another range you might consider. King mouthpieces benefit from a cross between Wicks and Bachs and are easily blown. Unfortunately, difficult to buy in UK. Best place to start is at the Doug Elliot site to compare sizes (... expensive mouthpieces, but benefit from having interchangable parts)... link to DE site here:- http://www.dougelliottmouthpieces.com/.
The Wicks/Bachs have characterised the expected sound found in the UK band scene for years now and you may find that other brands may have a lighter projection ( more suitable for chamber/solo work). It's an expensive business sampling tuba mouthpieces given that getting them home to try on approval is getting harder to do. Best of luck! ;)

lynchie

I'm on a Wick 6BL at the moment (easy top register for my pitifully weak lips) although I did toy with the idea of a Schilke 51D for a while... just couldn't find somewhere I could try one out...

brassneck

I could have also mentioned a link to this site:- http://www.chisham.com/tips/. Very handy to download the lectures by Arnold Jacobs (...my current avatar) as he has quite a bit to say about mouthpiece selection. Unfortunately, the euph. links are dead. The late Arnold Jacobs (for years, tuba player in the Chicago Sym. Orch.) is recognised as the best brass teacher (especially remedial cases) the USA has ever had.

tubafran

Always played on a Wick 2L and found it a good mouthpiece, however I have just acquired a new Vincent Bach 24AW and think it's excellent. Got this last Friday and had an orchestra concert on Saturday; was debating whether to leave it the box until that was out the way but couldn't resist. Used it at rehearsal Friday and was very happy with it on Saturday so it's the VB for me now.

It has a distinctly different tone and also what seems like more umph as well as the fact that after playing Friday and Saturday there was no tiredness in my lips after a 2 hour rehearsal on Sunday.

Ste69

brassneck said:
I could have also mentioned a link to this site:- http://www.chisham.com/tips/. Very handy to download the lectures by Arnold Jacobs (...my current avatar) as he has quite a bit to say about mouthpiece selection. Unfortunately, the euph. links are dead. The late Arnold Jacobs (for years, tuba player in the Chicago Sym. Orch.) is recognised as the best brass teacher (especially remedial cases) the USA has ever had.
Thanks for all the links - Lots to think about and some great advice.

Cheers again

andywooler

Supporting Member
all sorts!

bit oif a mixture for me:

Sop: Bach 10c
Bb: Bach 7c
Orchestral Trumpet: Wick 5
Big band etc: Al Cass flat bit of metal with a hole in it!
Flugel: Giardinelli (not sure of size)

Griffin

I use a Yamaha 7D4d, good enough for Pete Roberts its good enough for me...
Everything else ive tried just doesn't compare.
corkysm60.gif

Syrup

Used to play Bb cornet on Denis Wicks when younger but they started cutting my lips, so changed to a Phillip McCann mouthpiece, then finally a Yamaha (the one that came with a Maestro cornet).

When playing sop use a Schilke 9b4, but is not one of their standard range so had to be custom made in Chicago, took 12 weeks and cost about £80!!

daveMD

Usually 24AW on Eb or VB 18 on BB did try a JK2A? once different as it was went back to the old and trusted method

TIMBONE

Seedhouse said:
I play with a Bach 4G, nice mouthpiece! :D
TRUE - but as a trombonist, Dennis Wick first designed trombone mouthpieces which were exact duplicates in rim size to the Bach, but with a deeper, more open throat. I did play on a 4G, then when 'metal fatigue' set in, I changed to a 4AL.

Use a Vincent Bach 17c!!
Great little piece of metal!!! was on a 12c but decided to change.
Pete Roberts uses a VB17c too not a yamaha btw.

Griffin

ScreamingSop said:
Use a Vincent Bach 17c!!
Great little piece of metal!!! was on a 12c but decided to change.
Pete Roberts uses a VB17c too not a yamaha btw.
Thats not what he told me!
tongue3.gif