What became of Denis Carr

Martin French

Hi all,
As l get older and being out of the banding scene for quite a few years l often wonder what happened to such and such a person and one in particular is Denis Carr.

l played under his direction back in the 70’s & 80’s as a budding young trombonist and although l have looked for any recent activity to my avail l have found none.So l wondered if anyone out there can provide any information.

A now not so young
Martin French 😁

MoominDave

BrassBandResults has his most recent conducting at a contest as 1991, and his most recent adjudication as the 1992 Open. Sorry I can't help more than that - that's the fruits of an internet search for me.

Martin French

BrassBandResults has his most recent conducting at a contest as 1991, and his most recent adjudication as the 1992 Open. Sorry I can't help more than that - that's the fruits of an internet search for me.
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the reply and yes l found pretty much the same in my search …another chap who was friendly with Denis Carr and who sat in the same section as l was the great Derek Roebuck,and l again wondered what became of him too ?
Martin F.

Colin Hardy

As far as I am aware Denis Carr is still living in South Yorkshire unfortunately Derek roebuck died about 2 years ago, a great character I played next to him at brighouse in 1961
colin hardy

Martin French

As far as I am aware Denis Carr is still living in South Yorkshire unfortunately Derek roebuck died about 2 years ago, a great character I played next to him at brighouse in 1961
colin hardy
Hi Colin,

Thanks for the reply,aah what a shame about Derek it must be 40 years plus the last time l saw him when l called round to his penistone home and as happens when you no longer have regular contact over time you drift..Denis Carr auditioned me in 1974 for the Solo Trom spot in the now defunct Mirrlees works band as a 16 year old and luckily for me l got the chair which lead me into an apprenticeship with the company..Derek was the Bass Trom player and what a sound on the old G Trombone he had..he use to shout across for gods sake BLOW IT Lad !!! Denis gave me invaluable advice as a player and also how to bow correctly to the audience ! Lol

And l have to comment on the fact you are obviously the great Colin Hardy back in the day baritone player of my teens favourite band the Black dyke mills..l also use to try and emulate the great Frank Berry..Frank had a strong vibrato but Denis Carr advised me to control the vibrato and only use in Lyrical passages.Thanks again for the info.

Kind regards
Martin F.

Colin Hardy

Yes i am the same that you remember, I mentioned Derek roebuck at Brighouse at that time when I moved from trombone to baritone I sat next to Dennis Carr he was on 2nd euphonium to Bob Davidson happy days

Product tMP members are discussing