What are you listening to at the moment.........

brassneck

Listening to a late night lounge jazz album with a difference ... it features a french horn soloist recording from 1953/4 in the shape of the Julius Watkins Sextet, Vols. 1&2. This is pioneering work by one of the most established of brass session players in his era. His sound and technique was ahead of it's time and still is fresh today. He died in 1977. The album has now, unfortunately, been discontinued.

More info about him here.

dyl

"Boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom" blaring through the walls from next door.

Tenor horn blasting at 5am tomorrow methinks................................

DMBabe

Supporting Member
New guns and roses cd..... not quite convinced... also don't remember them having 40 members in the old days????

Thirteen Ball

New guns and roses cd..... not quite convinced... also don't remember them having 40 members in the old days????

That's what happens when A CD takes 16 years to make.

Just look at Deep purple. They've had more lineups than Manchester United over the years....

If you look really closely my name's in there too. Two bar tuba solo doubling the bass guitar on track 3.

Curse you Axl, where's my royalties!!! :biggrin:

DMBabe

Supporting Member
That's what happens when A CD takes 16 years to make.

Just look at Deep purple. They've had more lineups than Manchester United over the years....

If you look really closely my name's in there too. Two bar tuba solo doubling the bass guitar on track 3.

Curse you Axl, where's my royalties!!! :biggrin:

If I can hear you I'll send you £1! How's that for a royalty payment? Considered getting the new ACDC one but not sure......... Seriously though the thank you section alone is way long!!!!! Too many people saying thank you to too many people! I'm all for the kudos and love and all but what about the trees??? Is it a sleeve insert or war and peace?;)

brassneck

Late night earpopping with some beautiful choral works from the pen of Edmund Rubbra. Simply called Rubbra, Richard Hickox directing the Sinfonia Of London and the Academy Of St. Martin In The Fields with baritone Stephen Varcoe excel with the works. Veni, creator Spiritus features a brass ensemble backing the choir. Very atmospheric.

PeterBale

Staff member
Getting into the Christmas mood today, catching up on a couple of recent purchases:

1) A little brassy Christmas (Imperial Brass, featuring Joe Alessi): Largely secular selection, with some excellent Mark Freeh arrangements and fine solo work from Mr Alessi inter alia.

2) A Celebration of Christmas (Wm Davis Construction Group Band, conducted by Keith Wilkinson): First class playing, and classy arrangments by Bulla, Curnow, Calvert etc

3) A Christmas flourish (Hannaford Street Silver Band & Amadeus Choir): several united items, including four of the David Willcocks carol arrangements, and an attractive Christmas Overture by John Golland that I do not recall hearing before.

brassneck

Getting into listening to all my recordings of works by Gareth Wood. I'm very surprised that no compilation of his stuff has been put on a couple of discs so far! A question though ... has his recent Euphonium Concerto only been written for soloist and wind band? I cannot recall it being played by brass band.

Last edited:

brassneck

I have to add that when you bring out more of the middle band in Gareth Wood's pieces, they take on a completely new perspective. Very noticable in Britannia's 1992 performance of Five Blooms and Briggus' 1979 recording of Tombstone, Arizona.

brassneck

Listening to one of my Xmas pressies ... and a welcome addition to my collection as well ... Norwegian trombone player, PK Svensen, playing contemporary works by Norwegian composers including Fanfares & Fairytales by Torstein Aagaard-Nilsen. It's a 2006 release by BIS called Concertos & Fairytales.

Hells Bones

Dirty Dancing greatest hits... The first thing my mum put on her new IPod that she got one of those speaker stands with...

To which she is now prancing round the room...

Sorry, I mistook this for the grumpy old rant room...

brassneck

I must have my relatives well trained ... now listening to another pressie in the shape of Christian Lindberg playing works by Berio, Xenakis & Turnage called Dedicated to Lindberg & released in 2007. Great getting two trombone CDs of a very high performance standard.

Flutey

Yet another Xmas Pressie - Defvying Gravity from Wicked by Kerry Ellis from her 3 track EP
THAT IS SO UNFAIR.
My parents refused to buy me Wicked in Rock :(
So I'm currently retaliating by blasting out Idina Menzel's new album- I Stand. I LOVE that woman! :D