What age should you start playing

Sarahjo

I'm sure this has been asked before, but at the weekend, my 2 year old son, picked up his sisters cornet and got a carcking bottom C out of it. I was wondering if I should encourage him and get him learing sooner rather than later.

Any comments would be much appreciated :lol: :D

ScrapingtheBottom

Whenever I think. Mozart was composing at 4!!!! I think cornetgirl should enlighten us on the effects on the mouth of playing at a young age.

drummergurl

i know people who both play in brass bands and they had their child blowing down their cornet by the time they were 18 months

cornetgirl

Putting my professional hat on I'd say it's ok to let a child blow down a cornet from a young age, but when it comes to playing seriously then it's best to wait until age 6-7 when the permanent front teeth are fully through into the mouth. Any earlier and poor technique could push the teeth out of line resulting in the dreaded brace!

Hope that helps!

Rach x

Di B

cornetgirl said:
Putting my professional hat on I'd say it's ok to let a child blow down a cornet from a young age, but when it comes to playing seriously then it's best to wait until age 6-7 when the permanent front teeth are fully through into the mouth. Any earlier and poor technique could push the teeth out of line resulting in the dreaded brace!

Hope that helps!

Rach x

Although even if they do start that late, it doesn't stop the dreaded braces!!! My two strongest solo cornets in the training band now have breaces! Its a disease! :lol:

I think what also need to be considered when playing seriouslyis the nature of the child. Some will sit and learn... others simply won't/cant' at a young age.

Keppler

Staff member
I've heard it all now, CG...
Is this actually a dentist speaking against braces? :eek: And here was cyncial old me thinking it was a money-spinning malarkey ;)

brasscrest

Start them on piano or something else as early as possible. Teach them to read music as they learn to read words. Even if you don't start them on a brass instrument until 6 or 7, they'll still be ahead by not having to learn music fundamentals and brass playing technique at the same time.

Andy_Euph

As far as I can see the sooner a child is introduced to music the better, fair enough wait until the child is about 6 or 7 like others have said, before starting on something like a cornet but if you start playing music around your son and let him bash on a piano or something, then he will learn music is FUN. Then when he is older he can start learning music properly.

If he liked the cornet why not get him a plastic toy trumpet to play with, so he is kept interested with the instrument. :D [/b]

Kayleigh

There is a family down here in cornwall and they all play. and there youngest daughter started when she was about 3 i think! i help teach our beginners at the bandroom and some are just too young to learn as they cant concentrate but others just pick it straight up.

Okiedokie of Oz

As a teacher in two different programs, I've seen two different approaches.

1) Start around age 9-10. most play for at least 3 years, some continue into high school, and some contiue through or beyond.

2) Start 8-9. Too young to comprehend the comittment, they usually give it the flick anytime between 2 months and 3 years.

I think andy was right. Let them learn for fun first. I was lucky my mum was a piano teacher and a (poor) eupho player. Although the way she tells it, it was obvious I'd be a musician. Or a dancer :roll:

brasscrest

aimee_euph said:
i started when i was 7yrs old, i didnt do me any harm!

Same here.

I once saw a study (which I think was commissioned by a public school group here in the US) which stated that of 10 children (7 - 9) who started on an instrument (brass or otherwise), 5 would play in middle school, 3 in high school and 1 would continue into university programs.

My experience in SA banding is that we get a little better participation than that. The age when starting doesn't seem to matter as much as the care given to make sure that early success is perceived and achieved.

grandfilth

I have photographic evidence of me blowing a trumpet when i was about 1 and i started learning properly, tune a day etc. when i was 4 and i'm doin ok for myself, and i don't have a brace and don't need one!

I started playing when I was five, although I did stop for a year or so in my mid teens. It alarms me that at the heady age of 21 I have been playing since before our Solo Trombone was born...!

And on the braces issue, I think the damn things have been all the way down our B Band's front row, one at a time.

michellegarbutt

Supporting Member
No set age. Start when the child is showing interest. Start slowly and let them progress as and when they can cope with it

Jo Elson

I would agree, but if you are like me, and will only lose all your baby teeth when you're 16, then just start when you like. I started at the age of 8/9, but i already had knowledge of music from playing the piano for 2years prior.