What’s your favourite instrument and why?

Richard Knock

I’m glad that you like your Bach Strad 37 Trumpet. I suggest that you talk to your Teacher about valves and whether to lubricate or not. A bottle of valve oil costs little and lasts for years, it really would be a shame if your valves started to wear because you hadn’t lubricated them - valves and their casings are both difficult and expensive to replace, and alternative repair isn’t always possible or cheap.
All my instruments receive regular cleaning and care, and valves receive a bit of oil before each use, I believe that’s why they have lasted so well, and the wearis almost negligible. Thorough clean monthly, and attention before each use. It works. After over 65 years of playing, I don’t have a teacher (though some may say I need one!)

2nd tenor

I got Bach strad 37 it is wonderful, in 3 weeks that i have owned it i have not had to lubricate the valves at all
Referring to the post that I originally answered (above) it seems that there are now at least two of us who suggest that oiling valves is worthwhile.

Getting back to the original post I own a small bell three non-comp valve Tuba and just love it. It’s light, it’s an easy blow, it wasn’t expensive, it’s got a great dynamic range and a lovely voice. The Tuba is kind of overlooked but they’re so key to group music making - IMHO an able bass section is the foundation of any good band - and they can solo in their own right. Of course if I was super clever with razor sharp reactions then perhaps I’d be best placed on a ‘Solo’ Cornet or Euphonium, but other instruments in the Band are ‘just right’ for the remainder of us and we can get a lot of pleasure from playing them too. Tuba and 2nd Trombone have been right for this ‘ordinary’ chap who just makes the best of his limited talents and does so in a happy way. Whilst not claiming to be wise ‘it’s a wise man that knows (and works within) the limit of his own ability’ ...

Last edited:

Jack E

Of course if I was super clever with razor sharp reactions then perhaps I’d be best placed on a ‘Solo’ Cornet or Euphonium, but other instruments in the Band are ‘just right’ for the remainder of us and we can get a lot of pleasure from playing them too. Tuba and 2nd Trombone have been right for this ‘ordinary’ chap who just makes the best of his limited talents and does so in a happy way. Whilst not claiming to be wise ‘it’s a wise man that knows (and works within) the limit of his own ability’ ...
2nd Tenor - I couldn't agree more! I'm sure that many (if not all of us) have had jobs which were just relentless slog, even to a point where the stress involved has caused major health problems (the rehab staff told me that stress was almost certainly the cause of my heart attack).
So do I want to get anywhere near that in my playing music? No, THANK you!! Anyone who suggests to me that, if I push myself to the limit, I could be good enough to play with Fairey (fat chance! :rolleyes:) will be told very politely that Fairey will have to struggle on without me - but I'm sure they'll manage . . . ;)

You want me to play an A above the stave on me baritone? :eek:

I'm afraid of heights, so give it to the tenor horns, squire! :cool: