Weston_Super_Mare Contest

Weston-Super-Mare "own choice" contest on Sunday 18th, if anyone is going, (doubtful as most of the ppl on here are from up north) I'll see you there, I'll be the one propping the bar up as my band arnt playing.

I'll be there mate playing flugel for Rogerstone and I know my old band Ammanford will be there also 'cos I'm staying in the same hotel as them on Saturday night. :lol: :lol: Don't know of any other bands coming over from South Wales though

IanHeard

Hello chaps,
My band, Soundhouse Brass are making a rare appearance at W.S.M. this year, I understand that Cwmbran & Blaenavon are in our section, along with Chalford, Lympstone, Woking, Bath Spa & Wincanton.
We shall be attending in the spirit of friendship and looking forward to good healthy competition in the interest of banding fellowship..................failing that we`ll just get bladdered !
Ian.
Soundhouse Brass.

congrats to Rogerstone on coming 2nd at Weston contest in the
1st/Championship section

1st/Championship section

1. Kiddlington Concert Brass, 194, C.Underwood
2. Rogerstone, 193, C.Thomas
3. Markham and District, 190, N.Seaman

Second section

1. Chalford, 190, S. Tubb
2. Bath Spa, 188, D. Walker
3. Lympstone SWT, 186

Third section

1. Malvern Hills District, 187, M. West
2. Portishead Town, 185, D. Hollister
3. Leicestershire Co-op, 184, G.Jacklin

Best set of Basses - Malvern

Fourth section

1. Pillowell, 185, C. Lewis
2. Bratton Silver, 182
3. Severn Tunnel, 180, A. Ayres

Best Soloist - K.Smith, Cornet, Pillowell

Also congrats to all others that were there, it was a good day (dispite the rain)!

Straightmute

Congrats to Moomindave and band on a great result. What did you (and others) play? And nice to see a former Harrogate player doing so well with the stick!

D

MoominDave

Cheers Straightmute! We played Edward Gregson's 'Of Men and Mountains', which Goff Richards seemed to lap up, judging by the very kind remarks ('expressive' - surely not?). I'm not so sure about the audience - the couple we were sat next to at the results thought it was 'very dull indeed'...

Do you know Catherine then? It's some years since she was at Harrogate - not since before she came to University here, I think. A very musical Musical Director.

Re the other bands, I must confess that I didn't get a lot of listening done, not least because we were drawn right in the middle of the section. Swindon Pegasus played 'Journey into Freedom', City of Bristol played 'Prisms', and somebody did Malcolm Arnold's 'Fantasy for Brass Band', sounding good through the door.

The best Cornet prize went to Ammanford Town, by the way.

Dave

Yes Dave....... we (Rogerstone) did Fantasy for Brass Band....really enjoyed playing it again...chuffed with 2nd place as well. :lol: :lol:

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
Hornblower RN said:
Yes Dave....... we (Rogerstone) did Fantasy for Brass Band....really enjoyed playing it again...chuffed with 2nd place as well. :lol: :lol:

Yup.. agree with that, saw you in EV and WSM... a very good rendition of a fantastic piece Mr Hornblower RN. Bet you're glad you came out of retirement now after a 3rd and 2nd... well done....

tam-tam

:shock: :shock: :D :D Cheers everyone!! We (Rogerstone) were well pleased with the result in Weston yesterday. We played much better in Weston than we did in Ebbw Vale on Saturday. To come second for two years in a row was great. Congrats to Kidlington, didn't hear you though! We were happy to beat the other Welsh bands (well done to Ammanford's cornet player though) and the other band who played Fantasy for Brass Band, Hyde.

Congrats to all who took part, it was a good day all round! Thanks to Alan (Hornblower RN) for playing, have a good time in Germany, Italy and where ever else you are going!

What did Cwmbran come John?

Curious

Straightmute said:
Congrats to Moomindave and band on a great result. What did you (and others) play? And nice to see a former Harrogate player doing so well with the stick!

D
12 bands listed but 5 withdrew in the top section! In playing order.

Swindon Peg Journey into Freedom
Markham Triumphant Rhapsody
Rogerstone Fantasy for BB
Kidlington Of Men and mountains
Hyde Fantasy for BB
Ammanford Variations on a 9th
City of Bristol Prisms

We (Rogy) enjoyed the result. Did anyone hear Chalford play Purcell v's? I thought the E flat player was immense . What a sound and technique!!

MoominDave

I thought it was a bit off of Goff to lay into 'Prague' during his summing up - whether or not it was a valid target at the Areas (and of course it wasn't for an adjudicator summing up after judging on it), it certainly wasn't at an unrelated occasion 2 months down the line.

Dave

the fish

MoominDave said:
I thought it was a bit off of Goff to lay into 'Prague' during his summing up - whether or not it was a valid target at the Areas (and of course it wasn't for an adjudicator summing up after judging on it), it certainly wasn't at an unrelated occasion 2 months down the line.

Dave

Well done Dave. I'll buy you a coke next time I see you to celebrate!!! :shock:

tam-tam

Does anyone know the complete results for the Championship/First Section....I only know the first three. I would be quite interested to find out....can anyone help? Thanks....

tam-tam

We are getting there!! So that leaves City of Bristol and Hyde for 4th and 7th, don't know which way around though!