West Of Scotland

bertramtrumpet

Does anyone have the full results for the West of Scotland Contest held yesterday ?

I heard that Barrhead won with Clydebank following a close second!

Welldone to both bands

Razor

Yes Barrhead did win.

I think the following is correct regards the other results.

1st Barrhead
2nd Clydebank
3rd Coalburn (?)
4th Dunaskin Doon

Best Principal Cornet - Barrhead
Best Bass Section - Clydebank
Winning Conductor - Brian Keachie

Best 1st Section Band - Dunaskin Doon
Best 2nd Section Band - Barrhead
Best 3rd Section Band - Irvine and Dreghorn
Best 4th Section Band - Coalburn

Very pleased with the result for Barrhead obviously but congrats to all the other winners. Just a pity there were not more bands competing (3 withdrawals I think) and perhaps a bigger audience to play to.

Gman

WOS FUll results

1. Barrhead 183
2. Clydebank 182
3. Coalburn 179
4. Dunaskin Doon 178
5. Newmilns and Gaslston 177
6. Shotts 175
7. Bon Accord B 174
8. Irvine and Dreghorn 173

Well done to Barrhead and good luck for the finals!

Cheers Gman! Very pleased for the band on Saturday. Really putting the work in and it's paying off at the minute. 3 wins in a Row!!

Good luck for Sunday night Gman. Hoping to get through

Congratulations to all at Barrhead - it's great to see the band do so well and it was an excellent performance, particularly from Mr Ramsay! I'm a bit surprised that Newmilns came so far down, as I thought they played pretty well, but I guess that's banding for you!

Out of curiosity, what did everyone think of the hall? I must confess, the accoustic felt like I was listening and conducting in the biggest public toilet in Scotland!

cornetcheese said:
Congratulations to all at Barrhead - it's great to see the band do so well and it was an excellent performance, particularly from Mr Ramsay! I'm a bit surprised that Newmilns came so far down, as I thought they played pretty well, but I guess that's banding for you!

Out of curiosity, what did everyone think of the hall? I must confess, the accoustic felt like I was listening and conducting in the biggest public toilet in Scotland!

Aww thanks!! :D I was quite pleased with the solo but more so for the band.

Newmilns must be raging!! Although I'm sure both the band and Craig will feel they've played better, I thought it was still a good performance.

Re The Hall. I've played in the Grand Hall when it was full and it was a great Hall to play in but it was quite empty at times on Saturday, which may have added to the WC acoustic!! :D

Gman

Solo Prize (lack of)

Yeah, well done to Martyn on the solo.

Just a pity there wasn't a solo prize as I thought a few of the soloist played really well.

(and thanks Kirsty)

I think you may be right about the hall - I had heard in advance of the contest that it was great to play in, but it wasn't quite what I had expected! Congratulations also to Gareth - a 2/3 is pretty great, I assume it was not a sober evening in the Bon on Saturday night? I ended up in shotts - quite an experience!

Dave1

Does anyone have any info on what was being played - always interested to see what's doing the rounds at entertainment contests.

PC

Gareth mate you do really need to change your name there can only be one Gman and "unfortunatley" he plays at kirkie!!

Lucy we havent been to the west of Scotland in a few years! Its not that the band doesnt want to go because it is a contest that the band have supported for years but we have had quite a lot on at the moment and the band need some time to chill or else i think there would be a mass walkout! :roll:

Dave1 said:
Does anyone have any info on what was being played - always interested to see what's doing the rounds at entertainment contests.

Barrhead played: The Champions, Born On The Fourth Of July (arr Duncan), Obla-Di-Obla-Da, Aranjuez, Cossack Wedding Dance.

The Wedding Dance from Call Of The Cossacks was very popular all day as was Elegy from Downland Suite which seems to be the meditative piece in favour these days.

Gman

Gareth mate you do really need to change your name there can only be one Gman and "unfortunatley" he plays at kirkie!!

Sorry Bartman, but I've been Gman for years, so there will just have to be 2 unless he prefers Kylieboy.

Lauradoll

I got confused as well cos Gmankb is well THE Gman! Bet you canny play higher or louder than him though :wink: :wink: