Ways To Improve Banding

ScrapingtheBottom

geordiecolin said:
1)I think Brass and Music generally has to be given a similar kudos as say sport. From school level where sporting achievements are well recognised and applauded while musical achievement goes unoticed, right through to a national level where England's imminent failure at Euro 2004 will occupy our screens/papers forever, whilst the 6 (?) times European Champions in the Brass Band World don't even warrant a single column.

To be fair though, that isn't going to happen. We have to make sure that the music listening public takes bands as seriously as other ensembles.

2) A clarification of contest procedure - what do they do in that adjudicator leaving the box - results announcing time that takes so long??!

It takes a while for adjudicators to come up with some of the really nasty put downs :wink:

3) More better quality and reasonably priced beer. We want Fleetwood standards beverages (CAMRA bar!) not Wychavon/Butlins standard beverages!

Wychavon was ridiculous £2.50 for a too cold pint of crappy worthingtons! Although it will be difficult to beat the excellent facilities you find in West Lancs.

Steve

How many people that any of you speak to realise what brass banding entails before you explain it to them. A lot of people I meet through work are intrigued by my music and upon starting a conversation on brass bands they have no idea the committment/organisation involved in the movement. While it is a lot of banders preference to concentrate on making music rather than competing, do you think we would be better supported if the general public knew the levels of competition we strive to reach and the work that goes into acheiving good results all year rather than just knowing about the park job in the summer?

Brian Bowen

It’s all very well wanting the public to take brass bands seriously, but it’s obvious from reading these boards that members of brass bands have wildly different notions of what it’s all about.

Some want to compete – that’s fine, but don’t expect lots of outsiders to attend, it’s not the FA Cup. Some want to play concerts – naturally, but many concerts only cater to the lowest common denominator, while others are almost schizophrenic (where appealing pieces are mixed with rubbish and/or technical exercises). What is the musically literate public to expect?

Others need bands for their personal social lives or as a hobby. I’ve nothing against folks enjoying a drink, but when equal or higher priority is given to alcohol (sometimes leading to boorish behaviour), then banding is little more than selfishness. I remember one year at the Masters in Cambridge members of a well-known band drinking excessively outside the Corn Exchange, trashing the thoroughfare and probably intimidating the public. That’s a real turn-off for me.

Brian Bowen said:
I remember one year at the Masters in Cambridge members of a well-known band drinking excessively outside the Stock Exchange, trashing the thoroughfare and probably intimidating the public. That’s a real turn-off for me.

But that happens all the time in Cambridge, not just when banders are about!! There have been times when that thoroughfare has been worse then that, probabaly due to my mates excessive drinking. :shock:

P.s The Corn Exchange may be a better place (although you don't see much of it about), not too sure if we have a stock exchange in Cambridge, well I don't know where it is :wink:

Product tMP members are discussing