Warning

Di

just checked. It was 9.27 20/2/10. So the answer is yes. Why?

I was just trying to figure out if somehow they'd managed to get a message sent out after they'd been banned, but I got my time mixed up, sorry, don't mind me. :oops: "it" was banned shortly afterwards but unfortunately some messages got through in the short time of the membership.

We are trying very hard to keep these at bay, and some measures have already been put in place, but there is still obviously a problem which we are trying to resolve.

TrumpetNick

Di,

Wouldn't be easier to limit the number of recipients for the same message? Another idea you can have a thought about is to allow new members to send PM only after making a certain number of posts (IMO somewhere between 1-10).

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
Di,

Wouldn't be easier to limit the number of recipients for the same message? Another idea you can have a thought about is to allow new members to send PM only after making a certain number of posts (IMO somewhere between 1-10).

This is something we are looking into, however its not a quick fix. Without getting into too much technical detail it means re-jigging the user groups for all of our members, which is a tricky operation that can only be carried out by uber-god John (even mere admins like me don't even have the rights to do it ;)).

In the meantime please bear with us - all we can do is to keep banning the users as they crop up, and I would strongly suggest that if you get a PM from a member you don't know then, at the very least never click the links contained within it, or even better, simply delete it without opening it.

KMJ Recordings

Supporting Member
simply delete it without opening it.

Although I quite understand where you're coming from, Ian, that isn't always appropriate for someone like me.......although the names of most of these 'posters' are usually a bit of a giveaway....but not always....

Similarly I've had PMs from real people wanting info that are either newly registered or have little posting history.

Jethro

Ive just recieved one of these messages, I thank you for informing me about it otherwise I feel I may have opened the link. The e mail was from someone named Joanny.
Once again thanks

Jethro

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
Although I quite understand where you're coming from, Ian, that isn't always appropriate for someone like me.......although the names of most of these 'posters' are usually a bit of a giveaway....but not always....

Similarly I've had PMs from real people wanting info that are either newly registered or have little posting history.

I appreciate that you may be an exception (or exceptional ;)) I was talking in general terms though - I reckon its a fair bet that 90% of our members only get PMs from people they know, either in real life or 'virtually' here on tMP - even as a moderator most of the PMs I receive are from people I know. The advice not to click any link that you may be unsure of stands though. I must say that its highly unlikely opening a PM from a spammer will cause you any issues - but I have received PM's before with more-than-slightly dodgy images embedded in them - that was really the reason why I suggested deleting without opening first.

Ive just recieved one of these messages, I thank you for informing me about it otherwise I feel I may have opened the link. The e mail was from someone named Joanny.
Once again thanks

Jethro

Joanny was banned last night.

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
When was is sent? The trouble is that these spammers have software that can send loads of PMs in a very short space of time. If we don't ban them at the moment they sign up then before we can do anything they've spammed a bunch of our members. Apologies to anyone who has received stuff from these people, but all I can say is we're doing our best against the onslaught and looking at implementing ways to prevent this happening at all, please bear with us - and my advice from a couple of posts still stands - if you are unsure - don't click!

Rob'n'Lis

Sorry, have only just picked up mail. I've already deleted the spam - I think it arrived last Sunday (21st Feb). Haven't had any more.

Charmed

I have just deleted one from my inbox but can't remember when it was sent. It was from Joanny Davies. First time I have logged on for a while.

Di

Apologies to those who have received a message from Johnnyoef this afternoon. The account has now been banned.

prudhoebass

Hi Folks,

Just a quick heads up - we are experiencing problems with an influx of spammers sending 'virus alerts' to our members via PM's. Unfortunately it reads as if it has been sent from the Administration team at tMP.

I can assure you all that this is NOT the case and we strongly suggest you DO NOT click on this link.

The PM will be similar to the one posted below.

If you have, or do receive a PM similar to the one above please report it to one of our Moderators/Admin so we can take immediate action.

Thanking you for your assistance in the above matter

Roger (on behalf of the tMP Team)

:tup
Yep, just receivedit, from 'Jonnyoem'. AVG stopped it & a full scan revealed no infection.

Rodney

Just received one............Admin. please feel free to do whatever. I haven't opened it - I get a copy of all PM's in my e-mail so I have read it but it's so obvious it's spam.

Naturally, you would have access to my PM in-box