Wansbeck Music Festival 2010

Bass Man

Info from 4br is:

Wansbeck Music Festival
Brass Festival Weekend:
24th & 25th April 2010

http:/ / www.wansbeckmusicfestival.co.uk/ festival.php

Individual & ensemble competions on Saturday 24th April 2010 will take place at St George’s United Reformed Church, Morpeth commencing at 9.30am

Brass Band competitions on Sunday 25th April 2010 will once again take place in the Sports Hall at Newbiggin Sports & Community Centre.

Any of you out there who are going and what section?

Bass Man

Was it? i find that very frustrating, if we can't support our local contests what hope do we have?

dak

It was cancelled over a month ago due to lack of entries.

Bass man I agree, but there is a difference between a lack of entries and a lack of interest in supporting local contests. Need to look at the reason for lack of entries, in our case Ashington Colliery Band were interested in supporting this contest but the rules for borrowing players prevented us from supporting this contest, local or otherwise. It would be informative for other bands to voice their reasons.

Bass Man

Bass man I agree, but there is a difference between a lack of entries and a lack of interest in supporting local contests. Need to look at the reason for lack of entries, in our case Ashington Colliery Band were interested in supporting this contest but the rules for borrowing players prevented us from supporting this contest, local or otherwise. It would be informative for other bands to voice their reasons.

I agree completely, hopefully other bands will see this thread as an opportunity to let us know why they are unable to attend this year

Lauradoll

Yeah it is a shame it was cancelled, my pupils enjoy the solo and ensembles on the Saturday so were disappointed. The secretary said my entries were the only concrete ones they had received.

geordiecolin

I agree completely, hopefully other bands will see this thread as an opportunity to let us know why they are unable to attend this year

...and also presumably why the Durham League and DLI have hardly been flush with entries in the last few years?

Sparky

We intended to enter but, due to other things going on in my life, I was late putting the entry in. The kids in the junior band really enjoy this festival and I hope that it has been postponed rather than cancelled. We pulled out of the Carnegie contest to support the festival and I am saddened that I was partially at fault, due to our late entry, for it's postponement. The committee of the Northumberland Brass Band Association work really hard to get the festival organised and we should support them as much as we can. I will make sure that our entry is in promptly next time.
Maybe one of the reasons for the reduced entry for contests is the costs, if the choice was between paid jobs, which help the band to survive but could disrupt contest preparation, and non-entry to a contest (where you will lose money whether you win or not) most bands would choose the paid jobs. This is just an unfortunate fact at the moment and a direct result of how most of us are funded. Unfortunately most of the contests where the prize fund and its distribution are high enough for costs not to be an issue are firmly aimed at the 'elite' bands (e.g. the new Dr.Martin contest in Durham)

bigcol

It's a shame this contest has been cancelled. I've enjoyed watching and supporting the youngsters over the last few years and taking part in both the solos and the main contest.

I hope entry forms are available nice and early for 2011.