Vibrato or not?

ScrapingtheBottom

Mike Saville said:
Not sure about using vib on the bass trom to center notes . . . . :?

I have that one on good authority from Edward Kleinhammer and Doug Yeo :) - just a little vib though

However you are correct in that your sound needs to change for certain requirements. Take Coventry Vars for example. I have several moments where 1st trom needs to blend with solo cornet so I add some vib (& adjust my tuning!) accordingly. Much of the rest of the piece however requires a stright tone and a more 'orchestral' approach.

When I heard CV for the first time I was suprised at the 'orchestral' nature of the trom parts (much more use of brassy tone and dynamic variation) it is intresting to see brass band composers writing for larger bore orchestral instruments.

TIMBONE

vibrato

As usual, I will just share a little history and knowledge to stimulate the discussion. 1. I believe it was Sir John Barbarolli who conducted massed bands at the Royal Albert Hall before World War II. He commented that he was astounded by the playing ability of working men, but there was just a little too much vibrato. 2. European orchestras can sound strange, because the french horns use vibrato, sounding very much like euphoniums.

(Duplicate posting deleted, PB, Mod)

Brian Bowen

In a way vibrato defines a brass band. The idiosyncratic kind so often heard, and its indiscriminate use, is one of the most contentious of issues for me.

Listen to a soprano playing an octave above the solo cornets in full-band work. Too often the vibrato is excessive and soloistic, denying a pleasant blend of sound. A case in point: Fairey’s winning performance of “The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea” at the 1993 Nationals (Polyphonic CD — Double Champions): the opening chord (and its reprise) sounds horrible. Apart from that, though, it’s a great performance — and fugues don’t come much more exciting than this one.

Then there’s the Hetty Wainright TV theme music, which features a well-known cornet player. If anything says “cloth cap,” that cornet vibrato against an orchestral accompaniment does, at least to me. But I’m sure it’s the image the TV company wanted to depict.

louise0502

hey tash!

yeah wes is completely against vibrato at band isn't he!

i tend to just vib on solos (i.e. not with the band!), to keep him happy

Mind you, mike fowles likes it, so we'll see this weekend!

Trigger

louise0502 said:
hey tash!

yeah wes is completely against vibrato at band isn't he!

i tend to just vib on solos (i.e. not with the band!), to keep him happy

Mind you, mike fowles likes it, so we'll see this weekend!

Yeah, as far as Wes goes, vibrato is about the only thing that I don't agree with wes on. He's a brilliant teacher though, and I have never learnt so much, so I'm not goning to split hairs with him. I like it, but, like you I tend not to do it in band practice.