Valve Oil

rachael

Just wondering what brand of valve oil do fellow tMP'ers prefer and why!?

My valves just dont seem to want to go fast enough! (or is it my fingers?)
anyway be interesting to know what everyone else uses! (I've been using Blue Juice for quite some time)

(apologises if there has already been a posting on this subject!)

HBB

I have used, and always will use Al Cass. Best by far, in my opinion. And was a bargain @ 3 for £12, usually £4.50/£5 a bottle!

tim

homocidalbennyboy said:
I have used, and always will use Al Cass. Best by far, in my opinion. And was a bargain @ 3 for £12, usually £4.50/£5 a bottle!

I couldn't agree more this stuff is fantastic. I used to use the cheap besson stuff but lost my bottle and borrowed some of my brothers al cass and have never needed anythin else.

As far as finger speed the Arban is what i use Pgs 132-135 and pg 96 and 97

tim

also all the exercises on multiple sharp/flat key scales in the arban trying to get the runs completely even

(Duplicate post removed, PB, Mod)

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
For the last few years now I've been using Blue Juice. It's good stuff - doesn't smell like an oil refinery and seems to last for a good while too. Only thing is it can be a bit on the pricey side....

Trigger

homocidalbennyboy said:

This may be a stupid question, but where did you get that valve oil from? Is there a website? All of the music shops local to me are rubbish and they never stock anything, and when I order things, it takes ages for them to get them. My valves are soo bad and I need to try something. Flaming besson again!!! :roll:

HBB

Mainly trade stands at contests.

I think I bought mine from the Trevada Music Stand. They were at the regionals, and are at most SCABA contests.

Trigger

Thank you- I will check it out at on the site and failing that will look on the trade stand at the next contest- Assuming I haven't thrown my cornet at the wall before the next then!!

Di

http://www.sheehans.com

Have ordered music, cds and even valve oil over the internet from Sheehans and always had (presuming order in before about 4.30) next day delivery. Most excellent service.

bassinthebathroom

Charles Davis Old fashioned recipe or something like that - Yellow in a circular screwcap container - VERY GOOD (though i appear to have misplaced it at the moment!)

Dave Euph

I just use standard besson stuff. Absolutely rubbish, I just never have felt the need to use anything else because my valves are usually pretty good.

But I did use Blue Juice once and I was very impressed.

jambo

Blue juice it is. It works great, cleans at the same time (to an extent) and smells quite nice too, not that i spend any length of time sniffing the stuff. Failing that its whatever I can nick off the back row when they're not looking. :wink:

GJG

For all fellow trumpet 'anoraks', (and anyone else who might be interested, or have too much spare time on their hands), here is a link to an article containing probably more technical information on valve oil than you will ever want:

http://www.musichem.com/articles/p_oil_e.htm

[FWIW I use Al Cass on my Schilkes, and Holton on my Bach and Getzens. No special technical reason, they just seem to work better.......]

Regards,

G.