Valve Guides for Bach Elkhart Euphonium 100EH

jukrauss

It's not a great instrument, but I happen to have one (for playing duets with my son now and then, I usually play trombone).

The valves are quite terrible, and I think new valve guides could improve the situation somewhat.

Has anybody any idea where I could get them?
Google, ebay, thomann & co don't seem to have them, and although chinese, the valves seem to be somewhat different from the other "chinese" brands.

Thanks a lot,
Juergen

2nd tenor

I haven’t any easy suggestion but try the US based Tubenet forum for Tubas. It’s also worth asking about as to repair men, you might have to travel a distance, and have some conversations before arranging for the work to be done, but some repairmen will do work ‘while you wait’ and so allow a single rather than double trip. If your local schools have marching bands and the like them they might know of suitable repairmen.

In what way are the valve guides quite terrible? I’ve an old Eb Bass which had poor valves (sticking) when I got it; after cleaning, oiling and use (over a few years) they have become lightening quick and never give a problem. What ever was the issue seems to have resolved itself; a tiny little bit of sediment tucked away inside of the valves can be very hard to find but can melt away with use and care.

Good luck.

Edit. When I wrote the above I had assumed that you were based in the USA, sorry. Doing just a bit of digging I see that you’re in the U.K. which slightly alters the validity of parts of my response. I would add to my comments above that is important to ensure that the keyway is clear, really check into its corners and the running surfaces for even the smallest piece of scale.

If all else fails then it’s off to the repair man. Ask for positive references from members of the group you play with and call the secretaries of local brass bands to see who they use too. As you usually play Trombone the Euphonium suffers some neglect, regularly playing is to some extent part of maintenance.

Last edited:

julian

It's not a great instrument, but I happen to have one (for playing duets with my son now and then, I usually play trombone).

The valves are quite terrible, and I think new valve guides could improve the situation somewhat.

Has anybody any idea where I could get them?
Google, ebay, thomann & co don't seem to have them, and although chinese, the valves seem to be somewhat different from the other "chinese" brands.

Thanks a lot,
Juergen

jukrauss

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I haven't spoken to repairmen yet - should probably have done that.
I got this instrument secondhand, and played it a lot (to do ABRSM Grade 5 and preparing for Grade 6, we then got a new instrument for my son) and the valve guides, which are metal/plastic composite look a bit worn. Without the guides the valves move very freely.

julian

Hi Juregen, It's easy for nylon valve guides to pick up little burrs that badly affect how the valves work and sometimes some very light filing can improve them. However if you try yourself e very careful. Elkhart are part of Vincent Bach and any V.B. dealer should be able to get you a set quite easily. I see Prozone Music are advertising valve guides on their website for the Elkhart flugel, so I'm sure they could get them even if they haven't got them in stock. You could also try Rosehill Instruments. Vincent Bach International are based in Uxbridge. I don't know if they sell direct to the public, but even if they didn't I'm sure they would tell you of local VB retailers. Tell us how you get on!

Terry1970

Hi, the last time I serviced mine I bought them from ebay, but a quick scan shows none at the moment .. may I suggest dawes or durham music shop, both have online ordering , although Brian from Durham music has none on his website he does stock many more parts in store and is always more than helpful .

jukrauss

Success!

The measurments of the valve guides were confirmed by Dawkes and the Yamaha ones arrived today.

After a bit of adjustment the valves are improved beyond recognition.