URGENT - Program note for Windows of the World

Hi All,

We've had to rush together a concert at short notice and I'm presently publishing the theatre brochures. What I'm after is specific details of the piece and all the individual movements. Also, some background info on Peter Graham's work in general for brass band. Any interesting stories/anecdotes about DK's reasons for comissioning the piece would be cool too

cheers...

PeterBale

Staff member
From www.gramercymusic.com:
A six movement sequel to the popular Cry of the Celts, reflecting world music styles from Latin American to Irish Folk. Each movement 1) Amazonia 2) Rainforest 3) The Rising Sun 4) Drums of Thunder 5) Celtic Dream 6) Earth Walk can be individually programmed. Featured soloists include Soprano Cornet, Trumpet/Cornet, Flugel Horn, Tenor Horn, Baritone, Trombone, Euphonium and Percussion. Windows of the World was premiered by the YBS Band at the Millenium European Championships Gala Concert, held in Symphony Hall Birmingham.

I've got the programme from the premiere indoors, so I can have a look tonight and see what that says as well.

PeterBale

Staff member
A little more info, from Ronald Holz's sleevenote to the recording of the windband version:
A more extended exercise in multiculturalism unfolds in the six-movement "Windows of the World", . . . one which provides solo opportunites for several principal players in the band. The order of presentation may seem at first random. Graham takes us first to Latin America, then to Japan, and onwards to sub-Saharan Africa. We get a gentle reprieve via a nostalgic hint of te British Isles before we land in the melting pot of all styles, the USA. In this final movement the driving swing section is abruptly stopped and a drum cadenza leads us back into the opening Latin music, with hints of the other styles as well. The world seems by then a global musical village. Stylistic diversity is celebrated, and young musicians have fun while learning to master and embrace the performance practice requirements of each.

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.