Uniform Design

Aidan

Dawnys_flug said:
You wanna get jackets like ours!
Bright Green!! <-- a brighter green than this!

Not the most flattering colour to say the least, but at least you can find everyone when at contests or legless at the Whit marches!!

:lol:

I have however eventually found a jacket that fits me properly!!! Yey!!
agreed :) green is the way forward

bigmamabadger

I'd just like to say I HATE BRASS BAND UNIFORMS!
I've never had one I liked, they never fit and they only ever suit 1 in 26 people.
Jackets etc. are usually only fit for men and only certain men at that, sweaters etc. are OK for informal wear but look silly on formal occasions.
What's to be done?
For evening concerts and contests I think we should go down the orchestral route and have black DJs for the lads and evening dress for the lasses. Evening dress could be in band colours if necessary.

Summer informals could be open-necked shirts and bermuda shorts in band colours, winter informals would have to be fleeces and Ugg boots...

Can't actually think of many sensible alternatives to band uniforms but there's got to be something better!!!

BMB
xx

Okiedokie of Oz

That's the beauty of our band uniform. It's a standard trouser cut for men, business cut slacks for lasses. Standard button up shirt. Girls haven't yet whinged about buttons, but we all look alike, unlike most women's blouses, which are always different and collars are spacked. Thie is same as local councils (it IS theirs!!). OK so the coat isn't sexy and flattering, especially on women, but it does look rather nifty.

brasscrest

I'd like to get the slacks for women idea through our board. They're kinda reactionary, so I probably won't be able to, but it would be nice to have everyone in trousers.

HAHAHA.....

them cork hats are only found in duty free shops at international airports, as for khaki shorts, well i havent seen a band to date outfitted with a set of those. Alot of Australian bands wear polo shirts with their slacks for outdoor engagements, but in general we just suffer the heat of sleeves and suits because it better justifies the need to hit the pub after the gig. As for the tinnies...our banding ancestors invented many contraptions to keep the beer flowing at contests, the best one being a railed esky custom fitted on a sliding system to cruise up and down the aisles of the band bus!!!

Okiedokie of Oz

PeterBale said:
Australian Euphonium said:
Go the standard australian style...

Business suits, long ties, stripe optional!!!
. . . and a hat with corks for marching :?: :wink: :oops:

Do all Scottish bands wear Kilts also??? :wink:

The business suit look is only going ahead because a lot of new (esp A grade) bands are using it to make a smart looking, but cheap uniform. Also, makes it easier to go out and buy replacement uniforms for newer/poorly sized members.

Any bands with a long history stick with a slightly formal uniform.

Big Twigge

I remember many years back all the ladies had to buy their skirts from the same shop...not so good when you're about 10 and have no hips to fill the hip space....sadly times change and the gap is filled.

Personally I prefer to wear a skirt, less problems with shoes....
as for band jackets, they are horrible and agree with Miss Sparkling Quavers, Men certainly look best in black suits :D

twigglet

...don't forget the regulation 15 denier black tights (not barely black, only black black will do) and black court shoes. It does look smarter when we all look the same though.

Another vote for plainly suited boys though :wink:

I await the abuse I'll take for this with baited breath but...does anyone have an opinion on what the MD should wear? It's easy when there are dicky bows and evening frocks in front of you in a concert hall but not so on a bandstand in a prk etc. I personally don't favour wearing shirt and tie as find that tie gets in way so have taken to wearing black suit and black tshirt. Don't know what band think but haven't had too many scathing comments yet. Anyone care what the carver is wearing?

Phil Green

Supporting Member
But what about tradition? Black Dyke, Fodens, Fairies, Briggus etc have a long history and the colour/style of uniform they wear is as much associated with them as say Liverpools red strip, Aston Viles claret & blue! Black suits look great, as do DJ's, but what's the differentiator if all bands wear these? I for one personally wouldn't want to give up Foden's crimson tunics, the band and uniform go together as do Dyke's and many more bands.
Okay, they look strange and dated out of context but it adds a visual aspect to what is an aural art form on stage.
It's also a battle dress; for 1000's of years different sides have drawn up to battle lines with their uniform and penants proudly on display. That's what we're doing at competitions.
Let's not lose some our uniqueness. If we're not careful we'll all be adopting Rugby League like second names - The Fodens Panthers, Brighouse Bulls, Grimethorpe Rhinos, just to stay in line with everyone else!

Phil.

cornetgirl

Paul McLaughlin said:
I await the abuse I'll take for this with baited breath but...does anyone have an opinion on what the MD should wear? It's easy when there are dicky bows and evening frocks in front of you in a concert hall but not so on a bandstand in a prk etc. I personally don't favour wearing shirt and tie as find that tie gets in way so have taken to wearing black suit and black tshirt. Don't know what band think but haven't had too many scathing comments yet. Anyone care what the carver is wearing?

Aha, Mr McLaughlin, I remember you from our Newcastle Uni days (altho I was seen more with a viola I remember us sharing lifts to Greggs!)! Being a gent of sartorial elegance I'm sure your outfits are always wonderful. However, if you feel the need for advice may I suggest contacting Straightmute for advice? As the Northern Area's "fashion guru" he is always relied on to turn up in a natty little ensemble! :roll:

Rach x

brasscrest

In SA bands, the band typically wear red festival tunics and the conductor wears a black tunic. When not in concert mode, the bandmaster is indicated by a mark on the epaulette, but that's usually the only way to tell (other than the frantic arm-waving :) ).

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.