Uniform Design

Interesting.

At the moment my band dresses all in black, as we can't afford a uniform!

i think jackets and trousers should be made differently for men and women- i hate wearing mens trousers, and the jackets can be a nightmare.

My walking out is down to my knees, hanging off the sleeves and shoulders, but will only just do up- there should be mens jackets and womens jackets.

Does anyone else agree?

sparkling_quavers

I would prefer the men to wear a black suit with a band tie and the ladies to wear long black skirts or dresses. Think band jackets are a bit outdated plus I think men look nice in black suits hehe

brasscrest

shedophone said:
there should be mens jackets and womens jackets
Does anyone else agree?

Most definitely. At least one band I know of here in the US made the mistake of not doing this and all of the women in the band are most unhappy.

Suz

Uniforms

Okiedokie of Oz said:
Also, some women prefer pants that are a little elasticcy in the waist as they "fluctuate."

And men don't??????? Even after post contest beer and curry?????

EIBB_Ray

sunny_jimbob said:
Well Worth It said:
Have any of our male contingent of tMPers ever had to sit through the ladies' Skirt/Trousers/Tights/Socks discussion.
Turns into a fantastic b!tching session.
Each of the female members, having their opinion based on the condition of their pins. Magnificent to watch. :lol: :roll: :lol:

We had this while discussing a new dress code at work the other week. Someone actually seriously suggested that skirts should only be allowed for people with slim, tanned legs. Great fun!

You, no doubt, volunteered to be the arbiter of who met the criteria, did you not?

EIBB_Ray

Re: Uniforms

Suz said:
Okiedokie of Oz said:
Also, some women prefer pants that are a little elasticcy in the waist as they "fluctuate."

And men don't??????? Even after post contest beer and curry?????

I think you may be thinking of a different similar looking word. :wink:

EIBB_Ray

shedophone said:
Interesting.

At the moment my band dresses all in black, as we can't afford a uniform!

i think jackets and trousers should be made differently for men and women- i hate wearing mens trousers, and the jackets can be a nightmare.

My walking out is down to my knees, hanging off the sleeves and shoulders, but will only just do up- there should be mens jackets and womens jackets.

Does anyone else agree?

and to close out my "trifecta" of smart comments - certainly! One gender or the other is bound to be upset with the buttons/fly's being on the "wrong" side.

Moy

Make sure the trousers are easily adjustable. Extra material to "let them in/out".

Come on guys right at the beginning of the discussion you said the above.
What's that for then................?????? Wasn't mentioned for the females at that point. :wink:

PeterBale

Staff member
I don't know how many people saw the New York Staff Band whe they were over on tour last year - their tunics (for men and women) are designed with pleats (don't know if that's the right term :? ) down each side to accommodate the larger figure. The only thing was it just seemed to make them appear larger than ever :shock: :wink: :lol:

jo

definitely trousers for the ladies....ever tried to play a drum kit properly whilst wearing a knee length skirt!? far too much on display!
for the first time in my banding career of 17 years I actually have walking out and stage uniform jackets that fit perfectly.....hooray! no more droopy sleeves to catch your sticks in!

Okiedokie of Oz

Moy said:
Make sure the trousers are easily adjustable. Extra material to "let them in/out".

Come on guys right at the beginning of the discussion you said the above.
What's that for then................?????? Wasn't mentioned for the females at that point. :wink:

Actually These are the words of a mother who's child had a rather large "seat", and she was constantly adjusting the trousers to accomodate his asset.

brasscrest

PeterBale said:
I don't know how many people saw the New York Staff Band whe they were over on tour last year - their tunics (for men and women) are designed with pleats (don't know if that's the right term :? ) down each side to accommodate the larger figure. The only thing was it just seemed to make them appear larger than ever :shock: :wink: :lol:

I've actually closely examined the NYSB tunics. The problem with them isn't the pleats, which are intended to allow you to raise your arms without raising the entire front of the jacket. It's that the tunics were not made to measure or altered in any way to fit. They are cut very straight, so that they don't hang properly on anyone. The women are especially unhappy about them.

I've seen the pleat work well, but only if the jacket is fitted properly. When the person's arms are down, you shouldn't even be able to tell that the pleat is there.

You wanna get jackets like ours!
Bright Green!! <-- a brighter green than this!

Not the most flattering colour to say the least, but at least you can find everyone when at contests or legless at the Whit marches!!

:lol:

I have however eventually found a jacket that fits me properly!!! Yey!!

ScrapingtheBottom

I'm in that lucky band of brothers (and sisters) that has just been measured up for a new band jacket (ours look a bit like Black Dyke's).

horn1

ScrapingtheBottom said:
I'm in that lucky band of brothers (and sisters) that has just been measured up for a new band jacket (ours look a bit like Black Dyke's).

Yeah, we had new uniforms made to measure at my old band. The jacket was fine, but I have never in my life had such a badly fitting pair of trousers. First they were too big, too short and with a crotch down to my knees, then they went back but were still too big and too short, the third time they came back after being changed they were still too short. :evil: :evil: In the end I gave up :cry:

If percussionists think they have it bad whilst wearing a skirt, try playing the horn!!

Primary

tMP Assistant
Here are some related products that tMP members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to tMP’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to tMP discussions about these products.