Unexplained Mysteries of time!!

cornydevil

Unexplained, Mysteries of time!

A train travels down the track at 100mph and hits a fly travelling in the opposite direction. Is there a point when the train and fly are both stationary? (fly has to stop at some point to reverse direction!)
:roll: :!: :?:

lynchie said:
chicken or egg, chicken or egg...?

whocamefirst.jpg

-if people from Poland are called Poles, why are people from Holland not called Holes
-Does the Energizer Bunny have a girlfriend, and if so, is she incredibly satisfied?
-Can you daydream at night?

Re: Unexplained, Mysteries of time!

cornydevil said:
A train travels down the track at 100mph and hits a fly travelling in the opposite direction. Is there a point when the train and fly are both stationary? (fly has to stop at some point to reverse direction!)
:roll: :!: :?:

Must be one hell of a big fly to stop a train?? Could be a new excuse for the rail services "The next train to Kings Cross will be 2 hours late 'cause it hit a fly!"

Jo Elson

if Adam and Eve only had two sons, how did the rest of the human race evolve?
-Adam was the first person on earth, so how did Eve get there and how did Adam get there in the first place.
-How do chickens/hens know where their going when their eyes are on the side of their heads, so they have two different views in their head at one time :shock:

bigmamabadger

How big is Belgium? :roll:
BMB

P.S. Found these 2 letters in www.nrich.maths.org.uk. How sad am I. :oops: :twisted:

1. Imagine a fly above a train track. A train comes towards it and whilst they are both moving towards each other they collide. The fly is accelerated in the direction of movement of the train.

The fly has now reversed in direction. Its velocity must have passed through 0 i.e. from -ve to +ve direction. The collision is totally inelastic so they now share the same velocity. So when the fly's velocity is 0 so is the trains! The fly, has stopped the train (instantly)!

2. I'm sorry but no. The fly does not stop the train, if the train has stopped it must accelerate back to its previous speed, if it is only stopped for an instant there must be infinite acceleration. This is a feat that can only happen on poorly drawn graphs, never reality, the fly has almost infinite acceleration but not quite, there is an unnoticable duration of change of speed of the fly. There is an unnoticable change in the trains speed, yes, and the fly for an instant does stop. But this is at the point of collision, they only share the same speed after the point of collision. I might seem to be bawling in your face (I suppose it depends on how you read it), but I'd hate to think you'd ruin your chances for a decent grade on the basis of one simple misunderstanding. I hope i've set things straight.

The reason the train does stop is because :

The fly hits the train in an instant, during this time period the train does not move, so how can we measure its speed.
Flies squash into a nice mess when they hit the train so they don't behave as true particles.

bagpuss

Why is it that parents spend the first few years of their childrens' lives teaching them how to walk and talk, and then spend the next few telling them to sit down and shut up??

Puss

JessopSmythe said:
If a tree falls in a forest with no-one around and lands on a mime artist, does anyone care?

If a man speaks in a forest and ther's no woman to hear him is he still wrong?

Why do they sterilise the needle used to give lethal injections?