unbelievable outbursts

Steve

I once made the mistake of chatting back at the conductor, he tore shreds off me infront of everyone and didnt speak to me for a few days. Took me to one side after a couple of rehearsals and said if i ever did that to a top bands conductor I would be out the band sharpish, he then said i hope you learn something from this. Did the trick

johnflugel

A conductor I have worked under often records rehearsal run-throughs of test pieces on mini disc to take it away and fix certain issues.

One time, he had made a whole series of notes to talk the band through, the best being 'right, I have made some notes here, forgive me because my handwriting is not great...something here about the basses being bad at all times'....ha ha! Needless to say the section improved dramatically in the 2 hours that followed.

John

Roger13

I've been active in brass bands for around 40 years, both as a player and conductor. I've seen a few 'outbursts' and I've even been physically assaulted on one occasion. If you think about it, at a full rehearsal there will be up to thirty or so individuals ( and I stress the word 'individuals' ), all with their own levels of stress. It is almost certain that someone will get upset about something occasionally. In my own case it's usually based on my own embarrassment at not performing because I've not put in the work. In other words, guilt. But of course it's never my fault.............
If anyone knows of a good, stress free band out there, could you give me the address please?

Dave Payn

Steve21 said:
I once made the mistake of chatting back at the conductor, he tore shreds off me infront of everyone and didnt speak to me for a few days. Took me to one side after a couple of rehearsals and said if i ever did that to a top bands conductor I would be out the band sharpish, he then said i hope you learn something from this. Did the trick

Is this typical? Jeez, I hope not.... :roll:

BigHorn

Many, many years ago my Grandad briefly held the reins at the band I am at now. He had a hell of a temper and often shouted at people.
Some of the old timers told me he once had a tantrum minutes before a concert and stormed off leaving the band without a conductor.
He didn't stay in the position long of course.
He did the same thing at a choir he conducted. He expected really high professional standards and screamed abuse when he didn't get it. Trouble was, all the members were old dears just out for a get together and a sing song. He had half the class in tears every week. My mum had to persuade him to leave in the end before he gave one of the old dears a heart attack.

brasscrest

It's essential in any group that the leadership recognize the purpose and scope of just what the gourp can and is willing to do. This is particularly true in non-contesting situations, where the purpose of the group is mainly to have a good time playing. Getting a conductor in such a group who is too ambitious is a real problem.

Can think of a couple over the years in different bands and one in particular when I was in my early twenties and thought I knew it all. I would offer friendly advice to the conductor at various times about various aspects of the band's performance during rehearsal. The one thing it taught me was to keep my gob shut unless it had anything particular to do with my section or immediate issues of tempi etc., anything else should be offered as a private observation and, of course, the man in the middle is always right, isn't he?!?!

John Brooks

Memories.......... :cry: :( :shock: :wink: :lol:
I recall being in a massed rehearsal when the other bands conductor, a well known personality in his time, got into a rage because we hadn't followed his direction as we rehearsed Nimrod. One of our guys on the back cornet row politely responded: "I for one didn't understand what you wanted". The red faced conductor exploded with "I can't say that to Sir Malcolm Sargent". The response was priceless.........."I'm not talking to Sir Malcolm Sargent, I'm talking to you and if you'll explain what you want in terms we can understand that will be very helpful".

I also remember a conductor throwing his baton at my bass playing elder brother who broke it in half and gave it back to him with a strong suggestion that he not do that again! :wink:

These were both well over thirty years ago; funny now but not so at the time.

In another band I played in, they told the story of a cornet player who lost his temper, drop-kicked his cornet across the rehearsal room, then calmly picked up his jacket and left, never to return.

Product tMP members are discussing