Truro Results

Kayleigh

Member
Junior Section
1 = St.Stythians 173
2 = Pendennis Brass 170

Best Instrumentalist = Solo Trombone - Pendennis Brass

Fourth Section
1 = Lostwithiel 175
2 = Redruth 173
3 = St. Agnes 171

Best Instrumentalist = Principal Cornet - St.Agnes
Conductor of Winning Band = Linda Trethewey

Third Section
1 = Newquay 180
2 = Pendennis Brass 178
3 = St. Breward 175

Best Instrumentalist = Euphonium - Newquay
Conductor of Winning Band = Steve Thomas

Youth Section
1 = St.Dennis 187
2 = St.Austell 185

Best Instrumentalist = Principal Cornet - St.Dennis

Second Section
1 = Hayle 178

Best Instrumentalist = Solo Trombone - Hayle

First Section
1 = St.Keverne 185
2 = St.Stythians 183

Best Instrumentalist = Solo Horn - St.Keverne

Championship Section
1 = Camborne 192
2 = Lanner and District 189

Best Instrumentalist = Solo Euphonium - Camborne

OPEN TO ALL SECTIONS

Best Cornet Player = Kayleigh Rowe - St.Dennis
Best Euphonium = Robert Jose - Camborne
Best Player = Robert Jose - Camborne
Best Cornet Section = Camborne
Best Percussion Section in the Youth/Junior Sections = St.Austell Youth
Best Set Of Basses = Camborne
Best Soloist in the Junior Section = Trombone - Pendennis
Best Soloist in the Youth Section = Kayleigh Rowe (Cornet) - St.Dennis
 

Cornishwomble

Active Member
Excellent, cheers for that!

I don't think there were too many shocks by the looks of it. Nice to see St Keverne get another result
 

Naomi McFadyen

New Member
Shame there wasn't more bands competing to make the competition tougher, but well done to the ones who just beat the others ;-) and congrats to you Kayleigh on yet some more prizes! :D
 
Well done LANNER We put on a good show i think
Gr8 job St Dennis Youth FANTASTICLY GOOD :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:Lovin It!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool::p:tup:Dkayleigh Nice Solo And Also well done to Kim and cec Frm St.Dennis ;) "especially wen thay play the muppets" ;)

Also Good show Dad On the Drums For Ayle !!!!!!! :clap:
 
Last edited:

Liz Courts

Active Member
YAY!! We came 3rd!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

We're really pleased with our result!

And I'd also like to say a BIG congratulations to my "right hand man," Ross, for picking up the best instrumentalist prize in the fourth section - very well deserved considering all the nervousness he's been going through for the last...3 or so months...!! It wasn't a nice part for someone who hates solos! Well done! :clap:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
 

Liz Courts

Active Member
Ooops, I almost forgot to say well done to my mum, who played the drums at her first ever contest yesterday!! I think she was even more nervous than Ross! Apparently she's been dreaming about the test piece for the last couple of weeks...

Well done mum!! It's all over now (until next time!) :D
 

IanHeard

Member
Naruco said:
Shame there wasn't more bands competing to make the competition tougher :D

Just as a point of interest, I was reading a few of my Dad`s old CBBA programmes from the Sixties recently and I noted that my band Soundhouse Brass (then Plymouth Silver) were allowed to compete at this contest on numerous occasions,
would anybody object if we approached the CBBA about perhaps entering next year.
Although our Bandroom is of course in Devon (just!) many of our players are Cornish and/or reside in Cornwall itself....just a thought!

Ian Heard.
Soundhouse Brass.
 

Cornishwomble

Active Member
kirmat said:
Just as a point of interest, I was reading a few of my Dad`s old CBBA programmes from the Sixties recently and I noted that my band Soundhouse Brass (then Plymouth Silver) were allowed to compete at this contest on numerous occasions,
would anybody object if we approached the CBBA about perhaps entering next year.
Although our Bandroom is of course in Devon (just!) many of our players are Cornish and/or reside in Cornwall itself....just a thought!

Ian Heard.
Soundhouse Brass.

I reckon they'd love it if you applied. It might give some of the other local bands a kick up the bum to enter as well.

They changed the date to after the areas this year, I don't know if it meant a larger field or not. And just wondered why the other big Cornish bands never attended. If Camborne and Lanner could do it why not the others. It's the only Cornish contest of the year (Bugle is Open) and I would have thought it would be better attended. It's a fabulous venue and a good contest to play in

In the words of Delia,

Where are you! Let's be aving you!!!
 

iggmeister

Member
Roy Taylor said:
... just wondered why the other big Cornish bands never attended. If Camborne and Lanner could do it why not the others. It's the only Cornish contest of the year (Bugle is Open) and I would have thought it would be better attended. It's a fabulous venue and a good contest to play in

Mount Charles Youth were in Manchester playing at the National Youth Band Champs. The senior band has at least 8 youth band players. Entry wouldn't have been possible. Mount Charles did support the contest towards the late 90's when none of the others did.

There is no prize money at the contest.

It is very close to both the Area and the Grand Shield.

I disagree that it is a fabulous venue. Just better than the Riviera centre!

Also after the comments made on stage at the results last year about lack of top section entry (there were no entries) I am surprised any of the Cornish Championship section bands wanted to enter.

Cant say I know why Bodmin not there.

Igg
 

Cornishwomble

Active Member
iggmeister said:
Mount Charles Youth were in Manchester playing at the National Youth Band Champs. The senior band has at least 8 youth band players. Entry wouldn't have been possible. Mount Charles did support the contest towards the late 90's when none of the others did.

There is no prize money at the contest.

It is very close to both the Area and the Grand Shield.

I disagree that it is a fabulous venue. Just better than the Riviera centre!

Also after the comments made on stage at the results last year about lack of top section entry (there were no entries) I am surprised any of the Cornish Championship section bands wanted to enter.

Cant say I know why Bodmin not there.

Igg

Yeah but apart from that ;)
 

Kayleigh

Member
My personal view is that if you live in cornwall and play in a cornish band you should support the cornish contests and give them priority. I enjoyed the weekend as much as others and would like to congratulate every band/person who took part.
 

sugarandspice

Active Member
Well done to everyone who did attend on sat!



Pendennis are really pleased with the result, :) felt really good to actually play well on the stage (Haven't in the past!) and get a result that we deserved…..And at least we know that we went to the contest with entirely our own band......!!

Not sure what the views from other bands are, but we are really pleased with the remarks too, a lot of positive criticism, which is aimed at helping the band improve.....and the last line read "I really appreciate all the hard work you have put into this piece" which I thought was nice!!......and being my first contest as solo euph i was very pleased with the "good euph!" remark too :)



As for other bands, congrats to ALL the bands that entered the open section, good to see bands making an effort, and not being put off knowing that they were up against Camborne. Was particularly impressed with St Dennis youth, and of course my congratulations must go to kayleigh! :)



Well done to St Agnes- great result for the band.......and well done to liz's mum cos i know how nervous she was! :)



Just missed out on hearing lanner, but I’m sure it was very good!



All in all I think it was a good day! t'is a shame more bands didn’t enter the higher sections, but think we should focus on praising those that did make the effort to attend!



Had a really good time in the pub afterwards too.......and i wasn’t even drinking!! :)
 

sugarandspice

Active Member
i forgot to say well done to our junior band! ooops!!

Well done!! good to see our trombone player winning the instrumentalist awards- another product of Shaun's for which i am very proud of.
 

Ginge

Member
Kayleigh said:
My personal view is that if you live in cornwall and play in a cornish band you should support the cornish contests and give them priority. I enjoyed the weekend as much as others and would like to congratulate every band/person who took part.

So you would have gone to Truro Contest instead of the National Finals if qualified???
I personally think the majority would choose the National Finals everytime! Which is what our Youth band did. Which also made it impossible for the Senior band to attend as already metioned.
 

Ginge

Member
Well Done to all!

Well Done to kelly and Pendennis for their 2nd place, Liz and St Agnes and well done Kayleigh and st Dennis Youth, some great results their for you and i'm sure a very well deserved solo prize Kayleigh.

Shame i couldn't be there to see it all this year.
 
I think that people should stop bringing up petty little arguments and just be happy for the bands that did attend truro and just be proud to be part of any band,there is too much focus on the things people dont agree with bands and their organisations doing at present and not enough concentration on what it is all about,making music and havin fun doing it. Well done to all the bands which attended truro you were all brilliant and again seemed to be doing what you should be doing, making music and having fun!

Kim solo euph St Dennis
 

Product tMP members are discussing

Top