All title available from:

Lake Music Publications
Netherlands

www.lake-music.com
info@lake-music.com

Gerry

Roger Thorne said:
Hi Angie,

I'll take a guess here - was that with the NYBB last year at Bradford?
If so, I heard it and timed the last variation at a crotchet = 190!! ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!

:wink:
Stunning - without a doubt, but spare a thought for the rest of us poor ******s that play the trombone. We can't all do it at 190!

Try some of Alan Fernies arrangements - all superb. In The Wee Small Hours of the Morning, a classic song, slow as you like ala Sinatra.

Trombonology - best if you look at it before getting it out at band!

Somewhere Over The Rainbow - Judy Garland rather than Eva Cassidy.

If these don't work how about The Joker, played in the right mood, it will bring the house down, your solo cornet can play all the demisemihemisemidemi quavers he likes, but it's this one that the audience will remember.

hiya Tim

What difficulty of piece are you looking for?

a decent list mentioned so far but i may be able to suggest some others if you say what level of stuff you are after :)

robcornet

1st Position said:
Stunning - without a doubt, but spare a thought for the rest of us poor ******s that play the trombone. We can't all do it at 190!

Try some of Alan Fernies arrangements - all superb. In The Wee Small Hours of the Morning, a classic song, slow as you like ala Sinatra.

If these don't work how about The Joker, played in the right mood, it will bring the house down, your solo cornet can play all the demisemihemisemidemi quavers he likes, but it's this one that the audience will remember.
We went on tour with Driffield Silver Band in August 2005 and Dave Howarth played the Joker on Trom and it went down a storm, especially the bits he somehow got it the middle like "Happy Birthday","When the red red robin" and "Old Faithful" to name a few. Our solo Trom Gordon played it last night with the band and did alright and he is only 15 years old, it was the band parts that let it down last night. Thers's one for me to practise!!:p

jennyt125 said:
Hi All,

Can someone please tell me what the highest note is in 'Wind Beneath My Wings'. I'd love to play it but was told it gets quite top end heavy towards the end!

Thanks, Jenny
The highest written note is top C (Bb Concert) - though there is an eight or sixteen bar ad lib, which gives you the opportunity to go higher if you wish. It is a fantastic solo to do, not easy, especially if you are the last soloist on, but well worth the time and effort to master it.

Fletch01

DON'T DO THE ACROBAT!!! i was forced to do the acrobat not so long ago and i can't stand it, it's way too predictable and cheesy!!! i agree with the concert variations suggestion and share my yolk is a good one too - show off the beatiful tone the trombone can have, none of this harsh stuff! :)

WorldofBrass.com

Why not consider this selection of quality solos from The Salvation Army journals?

A Never-Failing Friendhttp://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/sps169sm.html - Erik Leidzen; classic theme and variation solo.
Song of Exuberancehttp://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/sps163sm.html - Les Condon; Latin American flavoured solo. The foundation of the music is a recurring 'bolero' theme and the slow section is a tribute to American jazz using the old gospel song 'Trusting Jesus now'.
Fiestahttp://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/sps024sm.html - Peter Graham; Written for his brother and full of Latin American style, this solo provides rhythmic challenge (and fun!) for both soloist and band.
The Guardianhttp://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/sps231sm.html - Peter Graham; Also written for his brother, this solo takes the form of a rhapsody for trombone and brass band with all of the material used being developed from the central theme, an alternative tune written by Ray Bowes for the words 'Jesus loves me'.The cantabile melody is followed by a sprightly allegro before a cadenza ushers in an exciting and rhythmic finale.
Softly Awakes My Hearthttp://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/sps168sm.html - Saint-Saens arr. Don Morrison; The famous aria, sung by 'Delilah' in the opera 'Samson and Delilah'.

[

I tried to play it in Switzerland recently, and bluffed my way through it at 120, with breaks to breathe! Surely doing at 190 must involve some kind of voodoo?
A safer and just as effective Arthur Pryor option than either "Bluebells" or "Love' Enchantment" is "Thoughts of Love". I played it in the only solo contests I've won, including the old Mineworkers' contest in a deserted Empress Ballroom in Blackpool at 8.30am on a Sunday!

Thanks for that - I've also done "Ev'ry Time Say Goodbye" (Cole Porter), published by Kirklees, which I recorded with Newtongrange in 1992. It is my moment of glory as a trombonist when the then editor of the "Bandsman" mentioned it as "one of the best " of that year, alongside messrs. Baker, Hudson and Bousefeild - it's all been downhill from there!

I've also done "Misty" for trombone, although it's published,(by Obrasso) and has been recorded as, a Euph. solo. For the stratosphere merchants, it goes up to an F# above the stave! - not optional!!

Adrian Drover's stuff is brilliant - "Street-Scene", "My Funny Valentine", "Annie Laurie", "Red, Red Rose" etc. - all excellent, especially if you've got a strong head for heights!