Trombone Solo "Blue John"

rgdunning

Hi there everyone! i'm just about to let loose the solo Blue John on our band. Are there any playing tips out there from people that have already performed it or herd it being performed????????? :p

Deltabrass

I love that solo! It's up there with Blessed Assurance for me! I rehearsed it with a band a few times and it's great fun. I was lucky enough to acoompany Jon Pippen playing it as well a couple of years back. No real tips for you sorry, but enjoy it 'cos it's a cracker and will go down really well!

les

Hi Robert - I have indeed played this and it is a good solo. The only advice I would offer is to really let it swing, so it sounds slick and crucially "jazzy"!

It could be a mistake to try to play it straight. doodle tongue and all that!

I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun with it.

Good luck for Blackpool mate.

Les
Md Eccles Borough Band

Yeah it's a great solo - our young trombone soloist at Thurlstone (Lewis Bettles) played it off-by-heart at the Stocksbridge Concert Season last year when he was only 11 - sounded great and the audience loved it - he ended up winning the "soloist of the year" award for his performance as well!

iancwilx

Hi Robert - I have indeed played this and it is a good solo. The only advice I would offer is to really let it swing, so it sounds slick and crucially "jazzy"!

It could be a mistake to try to play it straight. doodle tongue and all that!

I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun with it.

Good luck for Blackpool mate.

Les
Md Eccles Borough Band

Bass players beware - I made a right "Pigs ear" of it a couple of years ago on a park job.
My excuse is it was a very faded copy and the last bar of each stave was missing.
Funnily enough the MD resigned just after that job - I hope there wasn't a connection !!
It "Swung" alright, but not necessarily in the right direction !
- Wilkie

Last edited:
It's an excellent piece.

I've heard it played well, and I've heard it played very very badly. Give it some swing like others have said, and above all, don't play it until you're ready to play it out. It's a craker of a piece, but if there's no confidence behind the performance, it can't shine the way it's meant to : )

*sings* ''let it shhhiiiiiiiiinnnnnne, let it shine!''