Triptych

katej

Anyone know where I can get a recording of triptych? We're playing it at mo but I want to hear what other bands make it sound like. I'd also like peoples opinions on it. I quite like it, having has a bash at 2nd cornet, solo cornet and now rep am interested in others viewa.
Kate

MRSH

Supporting Member
katej said:
Anyone know where I can get a recording of triptych? We're playing it at mo but I want to hear what other bands make it sound like. I'd also like peoples opinions on it. I quite like it, having has a bash at 2nd cornet, solo cornet and now rep am interested in others viewa.
Kate

You can get a recording of it here:
http://www.worldofbrass.com/acatalog/24547.html

As far as the piece itself is concerned I think it's fantastic - especially the second movement. Absolutely beautiful.

katej

thankyou for the replys and the link. What section is it realisticly? I was told that it was a 1st section testpiece but has that now changed?
thanks
Kate

WoodenFlugel

Staff member
Definitely not 1st section :D I played it some years ago in the 3rd section, so I would guess its still a 3rd section / hard 4th section piece.

It's a great piece though - Phillip Sparke at his best :)

Salli

Hi Katie

I'm really pleased to see you're playing again :D

Yes, Triptych was definitely used for the 3rd section. We played it at Jackfield a few years back.

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
katej said:
thankyou for the replys and the link. What section is it realisticly? I was told that it was a 1st section testpiece but has that now changed?
thanks
Kate

Hi Katej,

Triptych is a fantastic piece of music, and I'd say is realistically placed as a moderate 3rd section test piece or a hard(ish) 4th section test piece.

The central section is extremely emotional, and anyone who can write a significant section of a piece based on a fantasy on one note is very talented. Mr. PS certainly did a great job on this one. If I remember correctly, a G is played on one or more instruments all the way through that section... and it sounds totally fantastic.

Go for it, you'll love it I'm certain...:)