Triple Tongueing

Hi all

after a rehearsal on friday night, the subject of triple tongueing came up.

which, in your opinion is the better method, and why ?

ta ta ka, or ta ka ta ??

i was told that t t k produced a quicker, crisper sound than t k t, but i would like your opinions, as i am currently using t k t.

many thanks

FG

Vickitorious

I find TKT easier! I don't know why! Probably because I haven't really tried it the other was! But it's a good idea to be able to do ot both ways!

Aidan

ttk can go a lot faster, but i find tkt gives a more defined production.
Try to use both for different situations.

Seedhouse

It's not what other people do, it's what works best for you. I personally use TKT/ DGD as I find it easiest to produce. Try both and whichever works best for you stick with it.

The Cornet King

I always play DDG. i find it produces a much better quality sound for me and you can triple much quicker. But I wou say stick to whatever works best for you!
Just my personal opinion! :D

Aidan

don't limit yourself to 1 of the two though...
If you keep working at both, you will find that you will automatically switch to the method best suited to what you are working at. It is so much more helpful to have them both at your disposal. I always used tkt for quite a few years, but I am really glad i persevered with the other aswell.

MoominDave

For speed, I'm told that double-tonguing across the groups (accenting where appropriate, of course) is the best method. i.e.

TKT KTK etc.

I believe Dennis Brain (and proabbly others) used this a lot. It's a bit of a brain-twister to try...

Dave

Griffis

For years i used TKT KTK as mentioned above, but now (after a lot of practicing) I've managed to do the more traditional TTK TTK. Although both have their own advantages, I am now being taught to tripple tounge using TKK TKK, KTT KTT, TKT TKT, and KTK KTK. All of which are very hard for me to do even though in theory there is only the two ways.
:?
TTK TTK = TKT TKT = KTT KTT All thats happened is that the start of the triplet is slightly moved by one letter.

The other one is bassically these lot inverted. By that I mean, change the T for a K and vice-verca.
KKT KKT = KTK KTK = TKK TKK.
:? :?
The next (and last) two methods are basically the same in theory, but produce very different results when applied.

TKT KTK
= KTK TKT for some reason, trying to double tounge starting on the K seems much harder for me although it is exactly the same as the normal double tounge except that the accent/stress is on the different letter.
:? :? :?
Anyone like to coment...Agreeing or Diss-agreeing?!

Dewi

I used to use TKT but my teacher told me i should use TTK as it produces a much clearer sound. Took a bit of practice to get into but i'm starting to get used to it and it does sound alot better (to me anyway!) :)

Steve

I almost always use T-T-K but you should learn all the other ways as well. Did a great masterclass once where the tutor (a slightly extrovert bass player) demonstrated as many ways as possible to triple tongue and then started switching seamlesly between them. They do give slight variations in sound and attack.

steveo666

Arban

Monsieur Arban said too too koo (or something like that, I've not got mine to hand)
ta ta ka, ta ka ta, da ga da.....or whatever....are quicker. Arban, as always, is better

neiltwist

I once heard a theory that tu ku tu was more suited to the english language, and tu tu ku to the french.