Tredegar Band, Prom 32

James Yelland

Tredegar's late night prom is now available to listen to here:

Always good to hear a brass band performing at the Proms, and yet..... I would have much preferred to hear more original music for band. Only one and a bit pieces of the ten on offer were originals, and the fact that the bulk of the programme consisted of arrangements was rather pointed up by the compere who drew attention to the fact that five of the arrangers were in the audience (and one more listening at home!)

And I must admit, my heart sank ever so slightly when Ian Porthouse remarked that some of the items would come as a surprise to 'brass band listeners'. It seemed to imply that the performance was for those people with brass band music already ingrained in there psyche. If the Proms isn't about communicating music to a much wider audience than that, there really is no hope!

But I'm being grumpy. It's not a bad programme.

John Brooks

Tredegar's late night prom is now available to listen to here:

Always good to hear a brass band performing at the Proms, and yet..... I would have much preferred to hear more original music for band. Only one and a bit pieces of the ten on offer were originals, and the fact that the bulk of the programme consisted of arrangements was rather pointed up by the compere who drew attention to the fact that five of the arrangers were in the audience (and one more listening at home!)

And I must admit, my heart sank ever so slightly when Ian Porthouse remarked that some of the items would come as a surprise to 'brass band listeners'. It seemed to imply that the performance was for those people with brass band music already ingrained in there psyche. If the Proms isn't about communicating music to a much wider audience than that, there really is no hope!

But I'm being grumpy. It's not a bad programme.
Well said James. I listened yesterday and had much the same thought. The playing was terrific and the audience so enthusiastic! I have no idea what an "ideal" programme might look like but I'm sure my choices would have been different, which would not make my choices any better or worse than Ian's choices, just different. The compere's comment about an early return of brass bands to the Proms was spot on.

carlton-salvo

I was fortunate enough to be in the audience and there was a great atmosphere in the Hall. I know what you are saying about repertoire, and I can inclined to agree as not all of it would have been my choice, but I do think the idea of the ‘late night prom’ sessions are to be a bit different and less ‘heavy’.

The performance of the Concerto Grosso the previous evening was absolutely stunning however. In front of a bigger audience Tredegar really demonstrated the capability of a top class brass band playing serious music.

James Yelland

The performance of the Concerto Grosso the previous evening was absolutely stunning however. In front of a bigger audience Tredegar really demonstrated the capability of a top class brass band playing serious music.
Yes, a fine performance of another wonderful piece of music by Gavin Higgins. I first heard his music at the 2007 RNCM Festival. The piece was a short work called Ivory Ghosts, and I remember thinking at the time that it was special. The following year I listened to his Forest Symphony at the same event and was similarly impressed. He's come a long way since then.

Product tMP members are discussing