Top Brass + full time job-how do you do it?

Rambo Chick

im curious. Im a university music student and so have time and facilities to practise, and in the holidays when im home i find it more difficult to do as much, living in a semi and so on.

so how do all you top brass out there manage to work full time whilst keeping up with your blowing?? :p

just interested-can you give me any sneaky tips?!!

Carolyn
flugel
utd co-op yorks.

Owen

Carolyn

In my case, I practice with a mute, but having the keys to the bandroom allows for the occasional hour of noisy practice too! The other thing is to watch for your neighbours going out and grab some time then...

skweeky

maybe work as a brass teacher or get in touch with a friend who lives in the middle of nowhere and ask if you can swap houses every night. Get in a car..... drive to a field in the middle of loads of other fields and practise... if you find the latter helpful then you are definitely mad :lol:

lynchie

skweeky said:
Get in a car..... drive to a field in the middle of loads of other fields and practise... if you find the latter helpful then you are definitely mad :lol:

OI!!! :eek: :evil:

It's more a question of time than anything else.

Unless you get a full time job with an orchestra it is likely that the playing done during your music college days will be the most intense you ever do. 10 years ago at music college I was doing about 8-10 hours playing most days (6 hours of rehearsals and a few hours individual practice).

Once you enter the world of work this amount is simply not possible. What I try to focus on now is to spend 30mins a couple of times a day to maintian my chops and ensure that everything works as well as it once did. Aside from this if I have something specific to practice for then I will find the extra time to work on it.

Di

skweeky said:
Get in a car..... drive to a field in the middle of loads of other fields and practise... if you find the latter helpful then you are definitely mad :lol:

Ha! Vicki has to do this if we're away in our caravan so as not to disturb the other caravanners! :roll: Can't let her go for weeks without praccie. :lol:

CRat63

1. Don't go home from Uni at Easter and carry on practising like you normally do.
2. Buy a practice mute/Silent Brass
3. Borrow the Bandroom
4. Spy on the neighbours and find out when they're out and in so you can practice appropriately
5. Have a week or two off
5. Focus more on your playing at band rather than your individual practice
6. Try and do a bit more depping through the holidays
7. Leave the instrument in the case and hope you'll be okay when you get back!

See u at Uni

Craig

CRat63 said:
1. Don't go home from Uni at Easter and carry on practising like you normally do.
2. Buy a practice mute/Silent Brass
3. Borrow the Bandroom
4. Spy on the neighbours and find out when they're out and in so you can practice appropriately
5. Have a week or two off
5. Focus more on your playing at band rather than your individual practice
6. Try and do a bit more depping through the holidays
7. Leave the instrument in the case and hope you'll be okay when you get back!

See u at Uni

Craig

I like number 5 and 7!!! :p Nice one crat! :D

Catch u at uni!