6. Scottish Co-op, Allan Ramsay, 8/1, 92+86=178
7. Brass Band Lyngby Taarbaek, Christian Schmiedescamp, 5/10, 89+89=178
8. Göteborg, Dr Nicholas Childs, 4/6, 87+90=177
9. Brass Band De Waldsang, Rieks van der Velde, 2/9, 82+95=177
10. Brass Band Aeolus, Bastien Stil, 12/7, 90+85=175
11. Brass Band Treize Etoiles, Geo-Pierre Moren, 3/3, 85+88=173
12. Kortrijk Brass Band, Lieven Maertens, 1/5, 84/84, 84+84=168

http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=5566

- adjudicators had Willebroek outright winners on both days!

Well, actually not.

If you look at Cory's points on the friday and add them with the points on saturday, you see that 10 points are missing. Probably Cory's actual score on the friday was 97 points, which makes them the winner on the friday.

brassneck

Well, actually not.

If you look at Cory's points on the friday and add them with the points on saturday, you see that 10 points are missing. Probably Cory's actual score on the friday was 97 points, which makes them the winner on the friday.

- I was quickly glancing at the original points posted by 4BR which were 87 points ;)

PC

Of men and mountain seems to have let Cory down. Brave choice in my opinion although a great work it doesnt really have that X Factor compaired to the other choices on offer! Just my opinion!

Wow - what a day!

Some absolutely amazing playing - Willebroek were great, Stavanger were absolutely superb - Fodens and Cory sparkled in their pieces - class.

But nothing compared to the two new compositions.
Treize Etoiles played band 3, their piece was incredible - some of the best individual playing i have ever heard - thier soloists - Euph, Bari, Trom, Cornet, Sop etc were so impressive - but the best of the bunch was the Bass Trombone - i had no idea a bass trombone could do what that player did - absolutely phenomenal! The piece itself really smacked you in the face - so impressive, many sat near to me had that as an early winner.

Until Oberosterriech - what a performance! Their piece was incredible - such contrast, immense solo work and an absolutely rocking piece thorugh out - loved the random percussion features in the slow quiet sequences... This made the hair stand on end - quite rightly this got the largest applause - a standing ovation from much of the hall, partizans and neutrals alike - the solo playing was just a cut above - i would love to hear this again!

The two new compositions HAVE to be on the CD - they were a new chapter in the phenomenal writing of the Europeans in the past.

Overall - Willebroek were worthy winners, but a win for Stavanger, Oberosterreich or Trieze Etoiles would have been well deserved and welcomed by the spectators IMO. What a fabulous contest - i cannot wait until the farewell concert with BBOO tomorrow - cannot wait!

Of men and mountain seems to have let Cory down. Brave choice in my opinion although a great work it doesnt really have that X Factor compaired to the other choices on offer! Just my opinion!

They played it very well - it sounded superb - but as you say it did not stand up well as a piece compared to Over the Horizon, Titans Progress or Vienna Nights.

I am really suprised Music of the Sphere had the success it did - 4 performances had not too much difference to me...

It was already mentioned in the 4BarsRest preview, with the overview of all principal players... But as principal euph they mentioned Sverre Olsrud

Yes my mistake - their Euph player just has an uncanny resemblance to Mr Mead - he was at the trade stands all day. Sheona played very well though...

Incredible that the adjudicators had Treize Etoiles 9th and BBOO 10th in thier own choice! Were De Waldsang really the second best band in the own choice?

Congratulations to Frans, Kristien, Ruben, Steven and the rest of Willebroek!!!! Absolutely amazing...
:woo

Go Belgium! :bounce:-D

I'm wondering if they'll make the national tv news again, like they did last year...

And I also want to add some congratulations to Kortrijk. OK, they did come last, but judging by the comments on 4BarsRest, they can certainly be proud of their performances. I'm sure it was an unforgettable experience for them.

We can be very proud again. And we are of course!!!!:clap: :tup
Congrats to the bandsmen and women from Willebroek!

Frans, you wizard, you did it again!

flashbarry

Congratulations to Brass Band Willebroek on their fantastic win and also to all the other bands that competed this weekend!

I heard all the bands yesterday and for me
Stavanger and Cory's should have been the top two placed bands
They were both stunning performances and i don't think their choice of test peice let them down at all
I thought that fodens on the other hand did a very safe performance of Contest Music they didn't really seem to have that old sparkle for me
Brass band Wilobreok for me weren't at their best their horn player let them badly and for me i was very disappointed with their version of Spheres
This is just my opinion

Last edited:

Jonesy

Far from it in my opinion. I heard every band and had them 11th. Read 4barsrests comments as well - says it all really.

Likewise, I had them way down (no disrespect as they're a decent band, but nowhere near some of the others yesterday when push came to shove). Can't believe the own choice rankings, sometimes you wonder if you were in the same hall. I can't get over 13 Etoiles being 8 points behind Willebroek yesterday. A gap of that size suggests you're comparing a cart horse and a race horse. Words fail me really. Agree with Sheila that Willebroek didn't play their best yesterday and how they beat (in the case of some, battered) the likes of Cory, Fodens and the Swiss in the own choice.... :eek: Not knocking them - they won and they'll be justifiably over the moon, but for me they didn't even give the best performance of the four on Music of the Spheres, and they weren't close to the three bands I mentioned before either. They weren't bad by any means, just not pick of the crop.

A bitter pill for 13 Etoiles to finish that far down. I'd love to know what the three in the box thought of it (clearly not a lot!) and how they did so badly. Hopefully the reaction of the crowd - best of the day by a country mile with pretty much everyone on their feet - will provide some comfort. Look forward to hearing them again some time. Awesome band.

Last edited:

CJBaggins

A bitter pill for 13 Etoiles to finish that far down. I'd love to know what the three in the box thought of it (clearly not a lot!) and how they did so badly. Hopefully the reaction of the crowd - best of the day by a country mile with pretty much everyone on their feet - will provide some comfort. Look forward to hearing them again some time. Awesome band.

I agree, i just hope that the result they got for their own choice test piece doesn't affect whether their performance goes on the CD or DVD, as in my opinion it HAS to be on there!! Superb!!

Jonesy

I agree, i just hope that the result they got for their own choice test piece doesn't affect whether their performance goes on the CD or DVD, as in my opinion it HAS to be on there!! Superb!!

Was thinking the same thing - who do we email to register our request?!

CJBaggins

- I wish they had considered a similar situation with Eikanger's performance of Riffs & Interludes at Belfast last year :frown:

They should do a double CD/DVD with every contest performance from both days on! not everyones cup of tea im sure, but at least some brilliant performances would not be forgotten or lost then

Joey

First of all, congratulations to Willebroek!

Then, on behalf of BB13 Etoiles, thanks for the support - it is greatly appreciated! This result is indeed a bitter pill for us but we are delighted to see that our performance was valued this much by the audience. We don't understand what happened in the box, as you can imagine, but it's not what really matters after all... playing Beyond the Horizon at the Symphony Hall on Saturday will certainly remain one of the best memories in our band's history - and forget about the rest !

Finally, to answer all questions asked about Paul H. Kelly: yes, it is in fact Bertrand Moren, who plays solo trombone in BB 13 Etoiles.

CJBaggins

First of all, congratulations to Willebroek!

Then, on behalf of BB13 Etoiles, thanks for the support - it is greatly appreciated! This result is indeed a bitter pill for us but we are delighted to see that our performance was valued this much by the audience. We don't understand what happened in the box, as you can imagine, but it's not what really matters after all... playing Beyond the Horizon at the Symphony Hall on Saturday will certainly remain one of the best memories in our band's history - and forget about the rest !

Finally, to answer all questions asked about Paul H. Kelly: yes, it is in fact Bertrand Moren, who plays solo trombone in BB 13 Etoiles.

Please can u make sure a recording of that piece, or even better, your live performances comes out on CD! lol :biggrin: hahahah