tMP's official European Brass Band Championships 2007 thread

Joey

Please can u make sure a recording of that piece, or even better, your live performances comes out on CD! lol :biggrin: hahahah

Yes of course, no problem: we will release a double CD in a few months on which there will be the live recording of our performance at the Swiss Champs. Or you can order a CD of this performance right now on www.brass.ch/sbbv/

oohaah

What a great weekend. High quality stuff especially on the Saturday.
Felt that Cary and Fodens really took a risk with their choices, both of which I love, but they had to play near on perfect to compete with some of the other choices.

Don't understand the results but it won't be the last time I am sure.

Well done to all the bands but especially the Swiss and Austrians. It's a day that will never be forgotten.

Farewell concert was incredible today BBOO were phenomenal - blew the crowd away! EYBB played Fireworks very well and the BBOO played some superb stuff - especially Funky Brass! :-D

trm

...Stavanger had Sheona White playing Solo Horn, which was a suprise! - and was it Steven Mead on Euph? Could not quite tell - but it looked like him! ...

His name is Sverre Staxton Olsrud. He's currently on leave from his post at the Norwegian Academy of Music, and his position in the Norwegian Staff band. Presently he's holding a position at the University in Stavanger. A simple google search will turn up a wealth of information for those of you interested, some even in english ;)

brassneck

There are some similarities though ... :rolleyes:

olsrud.jpg
... erm!

stephenmrry

What a stunning event this years euros were. Friday was fantastic and loved Martin Ellerbys piece it was stunning. I was right ot have cory and willebroek in first and second and also thought the austrians performnce was stunning from a quarter way in but insecurities at the start cost them.

Saturday however was stunning. Each band really did turn up this year and give as 4barsrest would describe some stonking performances.The austrians where stunning really and truly they played great and the ending was full of passion and brilliance and how it finished so low is beyond me. Cory i thought were musically excellent and there was a certain bit of class about what they did. Stravanger were also stunning giving Vienna Nights a trye european reading with uk conductor.

The gala was also excellent with some corking displays from all those involved with Willebroek and the Youth Band and what bout that whistler.

Overall i had cory as winners but thats the way it goes. Congrats to Frans Violet who i had the pleasure to meet in his hotel after the band had won the contest and he said that he felt they had be consistent not spectacular but consistency was the key to the victory. however its over now and willebroek are champs like it or lump it i guess

IYOUNG

A few thoughts on a superb weekend in Birmingham (my 4th European):-

Venue - Superb hall no doubt but too big to generate a great atmosphere and not a patch on the European venues atmosphere wise ive attended.

Playing - Absolute fabulous playing in both Friday set test and Saturday own choice Congratulations to everyone concerned special mention to the lesser lights who certainly brought a lot to the contest. To the two bands who brought new commisions good on you, both of them absolutely superb to listen to.
As no one yet has mention it I really enjoyed Scottish Co Op interpretation on Friday night and their Vienna Nights on saturday.

Results - Like others have said are we sure the test and own choice are round the correst way? some quite bizzare results. Congratulations to Willebroek though very consistent both days.

Gala Concert - bit lightweight to be honest more use of Euopean Youth Band would have helped.

Results Ceremony: Lets just say whose ever Idea it was was to read out all placings starting with......
''And with with 168 points in 12th and last place.......'' needs a serious check on proper practise all very embarrasing indeed. And then with two left we get the winners announced first followed by second??

Just read out the first 5 who won prizes for goodness sake.

Farewell concert - superb playing from the Austrians again.

So thanks to everyone for a great weekend of music making.

Stavanger 2008 anyone?

BbBill

Supporting Member
Yeh I had Stavanger for winning it also! Id a fantastic time down in Birmingham, the playing of the bands I seen throughout the weekend was awesome, truely inspiring.

Great banter with the other Scottish boys from Whitburn and the Co all weekend and also plenty of drink throughout, was on double voddies all weekend, Im afraid to look at my bank balance!!! It was around 4.45am when we got chucked out the bar in Jurys and told to go to our rooms by an unhappy manager cos we were drinking the carry-out!!

The prizegiving ceremony was just a farce tho, really wish Id just went out after the concert. I thot Glasgow 2004 was bad enough with the trumpet fanfares and ridiculous arrangement of the National Anthem. This was far too long with speeches, run down of results, thankyous, blah, blah, blah!!! Just give the results man, thats what everybodys waiting for!! Felt really sorry for the poor Stavanger guy left on the stage after theyd annouced the 1st place, bet he just wanted to get off the stage, why do it that way?

Oh and why does yappie dyper have to start speaking when the audience is still clapping?!!

Stavanger...Yay!!

:)

Yeah, I guess you were happy with your performance at the Euro.

Congrats with the second place!

See you in june. We are coming to Stavanger to do the Galaconcert at the Norwegian Youth Championship.

All the best,

Frode
Sop
Eikanger

PeterBale

Staff member
Got back today after an excellent weekend, especially the Own Choice pieces on Saturday. I'm another one who was amazed at the low placing of Treize Etoiles - they weren't at their best on Friday, but the Own Choice was definitely something special. Oberoesterreich were also first class with their commission, although I was expecting to hear a little more Mahler after the introduction. I thought Cory's "Of men and mountains" was breath-taking in a different way, with some extremely subtle playing, but as others have said it may be that the piece was not as spectacular as some of the other choices. I also felt Cory were the best when it came to following the dynamics on Friday night.

I was personally quite pleased with the four readings of "Music of the Spheres": it's not a piece that I really took to in Glasgow, but hearing four renditions on Saturday helped me to get to know it - and like it - a little better. Regarding De Waldsang, I found their reading grew on me, if it was a little clinical, and I wasn't surprised to see it marked quite high.

I don't feel there was a single bad performance throughout the weekend, although I didn't personally take to Stavanger's Elgar Variations, finding it too brash and loud for my tastes, despite its technical merits.

As usual with the Europeans, it was most encouraging to see bandsmen rushing to get in to hear the other bands, even directly after their own performances, and the overall atmosphere was very friendly.

trm

There are some similarities though ... :rolleyes:

olsrud.jpg
... erm!

Yes I know, uncanny to say the least...

I should honestly do a lot of endorsement for Sverre :clap:. He's a magnificent player, in my humble opinion top three in Norway, if not THE no. 1.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Sverre will be in the same position with Stavanger on home ground during the European brass band championships 2008. Looking forward of course to seeing you in Norway, Stavanger and Bjergsted Music hall next year. :)