tMp - simply a knocking shop these days - discuss!

andywooler

Supporting Member
There has been a growing trnd on tMp to moan and knock the efforts of others.
Examples:

• Constant snipes at 4 Bars rest - it's a free site for goodness sake!
  • Handley Uniforms - have you guys not noticed there's a financial crisis out there/
  • York Instruments - of course those guys got paid (or goods in kind) for endorsing a product - get over it! (you really think all those TV stars actually eat/wear/drive all that stuff they get paid to endorse?)
  • Contest organisers - how many of you actually get off your butts and give your time free to help your local association? Not enough is the answer to that!
  • tMp moderators - how many of you bother to write to them or the site owner privately before venting your spleen? Like it or not, sites like this get moderated by people who once again, give up their free time. (And this doesn't mean I always agree with them btw!)
Or is it just me? Discuss.

John_D

Having moderated a couple of internet based forums in the past (not brass related), I, for one, know how much time this can take up, and appreciate the work that they do.

No-one forces anyone to contribute to this forum. Each of us is free to go elsewhere at any time if we wish.

I may not agree with what some posters put, but I'm willing to listen if they put forward a reasoned argument, rather than just trying to put others down.

Anno Draconis

I would like to moan that I have been gravely mislead by the title of this thread and its gratuitous use of the words "knocking shop" Imagine my disappointment, etc. etc. :biggrin:

DMBabe

Supporting Member
I would like to moan that I have been gravely mislead by the title of this thread and its gratuitous use of the words "knocking shop" Imagine my disappointment, etc. etc. :biggrin:

I was also intrigued by the title...... but thought it might be a thread stepping up from the "brass band romances" to "tmp as a free dating site"...... well it worked for me indirectly and some others I know. ;)

But on topic I think that a lot of subjects discussed are quite emotive and these things tend to peak around major contests every year...... although we must all be aware of a particular brand of troll on here who makes no indication of their identity and has multiple accounts? :hammer

I think all things considered the mods do a great job but anything involving debate and discussion has the potential to turn into a slanging match, as most people care about the movement but some people use that as a deliberate reason to stir, aggravate and make more of situations by trolling and getting people's backs up.

astreet83

There has been a growing trnd on tMp to moan and knock the efforts of others.
Examples:

• Constant snipes at 4 Bars rest - it's a free site for goodness sake!
  • Handley Uniforms - have you guys not noticed there's a financial crisis out there/
  • York Instruments - of course those guys got paid (or goods in kind) for endorsing a product - get over it! (you really think all those TV stars actually eat/wear/drive all that stuff they get paid to endorse?)
  • Contest organisers - how many of you actually get off your butts and give your time free to help your local association? Not enough is the answer to that!
  • tMp moderators - how many of you bother to write to them or the site owner privately before venting your spleen? Like it or not, sites like this get moderated by people who once again, give up their free time. (And this doesn't mean I always agree with them btw!)
Or is it just me? Discuss.

1 - agree with your 4bars comment
2 - Yes TV and sports do eat/wear/drive all that stuff they get paid to endorse.
3 - how many of you actually get off your butts and give your time free to help your local association? I do, at most contests
4 - I have no problem with the mods

ta

StellaJohnson

In terms of 4barsrest, they make constant snipes at bands that have qualified for the Nationals with there bad taste in humour reporting for example. That dosen't go down well with me.

baritastic

I think you should probably just let people talk about what they like. Free speech, and a good moan is pretty normal on most forums I visit.

Are you trying to suggest that we are not allowed to discuss and "moan" about those subjects? You have just started a thread about exactly the subjects you want us to avoid! Seems a bit counter productive.

andywooler

Supporting Member
Ok, so lets rename tMp "Baritastics personal anti York instruments and aren't those people who endorsed them hypocrites" Forum.

You know, I can't remember the last time I needed to buy a spare for my Stomvi or Selmer instruments so if they went down the pan, I wouldn't be getting all upset in an internet forum.

And I have used Roger Handley on a number of occasions over the years and had great service - I also wouldn't get on here at the first opportunity and slag them off.

And I spent a number of years on both the SCABA and L&SC Regional Committee so have seen first hand what it's like to run a contest - so I don't come on here and whinge about not being able to enter a contest when I fail to read the entry form properly.

Ok, so lets rename tMp "Baritastics personal anti York instruments and aren't those people who endorsed them hypocrites" Forum.

You know, I can't remember the last time I needed to buy a spare for my Stomvi or Selmer instruments so if they went down the pan, I wouldn't be getting all upset in an internet forum.

And I have used Roger Handley on a number of occasions over the years and had great service - I also wouldn't get on here at the first opportunity and slag them off.

And I spent a number of years on both the SCABA and L&SC Regional Committee so have seen first hand what it's like to run a contest - so I don't come on here and whinge about not being able to enter a contest when I fail to read the entry form properly.

Ouch!!!

GordonH

I have a cornet made in 1887 by a long defunct manufacturer and I was still able to get parts when it broke!

baritastic

I don't think I've moaned about anything on this thread. I was answering the op.
Ambient was jot alone on the York thread. You make it sound like it was only myself, which of course it wasn't.

Take a chill pill Andy.

There is a community of veteran tmpers who have no problem being personal and patronising. In some cases inciting hatred could be the charge. This place is not just for **** players who have been here 10 years. It also for **** players who are relatively new to it. Like me!!

Maybe we should have a good moan about veteran tmpers who get incredibly upset very very quickly.

baritastic

I think that moaning about the moaners is pretty counter productive as it just leads to more moaning! Would it not make more sense, when getting annoyed by a thread like the York one, just to ignore it. This thread is a moaning thread, just about this site and it's patrons, rather than York, or endorceed or a contest result etc etc.

For me this thread is a bit of an oxymoron. It's like you sayin don't moan, by moaning about it, which proably makes you the Uber moaner extrodonaire!! An of course the mods will have to get involved when it gets personal so I think you have started a thread that does exactly what you don't like!

Clever that mate.

andywooler

Supporting Member
There is a difference between a justified moan and systematic knocking of a specific organisation.
For me, if you aren't prepared to get involved yourself and help a contest association run an event, you lose the right to complain about every single aspect of that organisation and those who did bother to get involved.
For me, if you fail to test an instrument then whinge because it'd no good, then your stupidity loses you the right to complain about your purchase.

But hey - you guys seem to want that so I'll leave you here to enjoy it. I hope the chips on your shoulders don't weigh you down too much.

baritastic

Cool. That will be your last post then.

I have more of a problem with people being patronising and my favourite the professionals ( so-called) who lecture us right left and centre.

But I'm not moaning, that's on another thread, and shouldn't be repeated here.

themusicalrentboy

I have more of a problem with people being patronising and my favourite the professionals ( so-called) who lecture us right left and centre.

let's not start this again..... ;)

I think both sides have a point to be honest... yes, using the York thread as a case in point, buying one simply because David Childs plays one is stupidity on a stunning scale. However, there does seem to be a few older/veteran posters of tMP who like to have a bit of a ganging-up session if a new poster comes on here with differing/controversial views.

Just my thoughts... (waits for the ginger jokes)