tMP Linux Users

MrsDoyle

Supporting Member
Hello

Just wondered if anybody on here besides myself uses a Linux distribution on their PC?

I dual-boot it with Windows 7 Ultimate and it works like a dream.

I was using Fedora 12 up until recently when I downloaded an OpenSUSE 11.2 (brand new version). On the whole I was very impressed with it. I'm a KDE person generally (and I love the new desktop effects) but the OpenSUSE implementation of Gnome is fantastic and I've made it my main desktop. I've never tried XFCE, but that's installed too so I will be trying that soon!

phildriscoll

Staff member
I've been using Linux as my main (only!) operating system for about a dozen years now. Currently running Kubuntu Karmic, but have sundry other variants of Unbuntu on other machines.

worzel

We use linux for most of our our serves and I run linux on one of my workstations as well. We're running many versions of fedora and rhel.

I'm currently mucking about with the initrd of one of them after retrospectively putting in software raiding under all the file systems :)

dyl

Hello

Just wondered if anybody on here besides myself uses a Linux distribution on their PC?

I dual-boot it with Windows 7 Ultimate and it works like a dream.

I was using Fedora 12 up until recently when I downloaded an OpenSUSE 11.2 (brand new version). On the whole I was very impressed with it. I'm a KDE person generally (and I love the new desktop effects) but the OpenSUSE implementation of Gnome is fantastic and I've made it my main desktop. I've never tried XFCE, but that's installed too so I will be trying that soon!

Does it have a spell-checker? And an English-Welsh translator? If so, you may want to fire your signature through them...... :tongue:

FlugelD

Dual-boot Ubuntu and WinXP - Ubuntu for most things, XP for games and the odds'n'sods I haven't sussed under Linux (yet!)

tubadaz

Ubuntu (Karmic Koala) on the desktop PC, dual boot Ubuntu/Win XP on the laptop, XP on the netbook. I've been using Ubuntu about 5 years now without any major problems! :D

Darryl

MrsDoyle

Supporting Member
Slight KDE query...

I accidentally clicked 'remove panel' on my taskbar and it's disappeared. Is there any way to get it back?

MartinT

Slight KDE query...

I accidentally clicked 'remove panel' on my taskbar and it's disappeared. Is there any way to get it back?
I did this myself with an early version of KDE 4... I think you may have to create a new panel, and I have a feeling you'll find that some things like the system tray may get added automatically.
I'm not going to try it myself though, it was too much of a pain last time!
(Incidentally, Kubuntu 9.10, running on an IBM T23.)

MoominDave

I use Linux/Unix all the time at work. But I don't get particularly enthusiastic about it - it's just a tool to me... Can't even remember exactly which flavour it is, to be honest...

winterman

I'm a Fedora (12) person at home.. Best all rounder IMHO.. Do have several MS Virtual Machines on hand though for work/programming related stuff.

tsawyer

Kubuntu for me, KDE 4. Been running with it exclusively for about 8 years now, apart from falling back to Windows to print the odd big colour picture. Started with SuSE, then Gentoo now Ubuntu. Debian for servers.

Tim.

MrsDoyle

Supporting Member
I did this myself with an early version of KDE 4... I think you may have to create a new panel, and I have a feeling you'll find that some things like the system tray may get added automatically.
I'm not going to try it myself though, it was too much of a pain last time!
(Incidentally, Kubuntu 9.10, running on an IBM T23.)

Thanks, Martin, that was useful - it is a bit of a pain though!

its_jon

I use Ubuntu 9.10 exclusively.... Linux at the moment is what XP should have transformed into.

Compiz rocks. !

My advice, jump ship now. Don't wait for windows 8. Linux will be well ahead by the time M$ develop another product.

NeilW

I use CENTOS (Strongbolt) on my Cobalt RAQ4 which does mailserver/fileserver/webserver/etc....

No graphics card, so don't use a presentation manager - ssh or webmin only!

nadband

I use Xubuntu myself and have ditched windows totally. At work I have to use it on my laptop for registers etc but use Mac OS in my music classroom, I was asked if I wanted to upgrade to vista early in the year or go Mac, guess how long I took to answer!!!

I use little that isn't open-source now, only Sibelius 3 under Wine really as Musescore isn't quite there yet, but give it time...

Bass Trumpet

Just got the latest flavour of Ubuntu on the netbook. While it's early days, I must say it is getting so close to being something to rival the obvious paid-for choices of OS.

One of the bugbears for me over the years is that, for the average non-techie user, Linux remained a mystery. So much relied on the command line which would scare off most users. However, the GUI on this latest distro is so close to being idiot-proof that even my Mum can use it!

I've always defended Windoze against those who would knock it for knocking's sake, but now I really think Microsoft need to take note.

scotchgirl

I had to totally take windows Vista (pile of poo) off my computer after it started crashing my computer 7 or 8 times a day to the extent of having to do complete system restores every single day, just to get it to switch on.

A friend of mine installed Linux and I have to say I wouldn't want to go back to using Windows...its so easy to use, and my computer is way faster than it used to be, and has NEVER crashed!

I'm not exactly a techie or anything, but I know that so far I have no complaints. The best thing about it is that you only have what you want on your computer, not loads of programmes/apps that you'll never use and that take up space on your comp, slowing it down.

Fabby.

worzel

I am pleasantly surprised when I hear non-techies praising linux, but I must ask, scothgirl, what do you use it for? I am a techie who uses linux all day at work, and I still use windows at home because their I'm just a regular user.