tMP closing..... !!!!! please read......

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
he he.... that got your attention yeah!!! how cruel of me huh! :twisted:

well... we are closing actually, but only for 2 hours on Sunday 29th July 2003 for some desperately needed upgrades to our software. I have put this off for long enough :? and the time has come for me to just do it!

I plan to close tMP from 12:01 am through to 2:30 am on Sunday evening/Monday morning. I need to upgrade the software to the latest versions as several upgrades to this software have been released since I launched tMP back last November :!:

I hope to have everything upgraded on tMP, running successfully and back to normal with all current functions and modifications within a few hours.

Apologies to anyone who will miss their daily 'fix' - I promise to do my best and act quickly when I do this... :) no hate mail please.... :?

John

Keppler

Staff member
That's GMT to our friends on far distant shores...

(or maybe it's BST or whatever they actually call it..
anyway - Irish time.. ;) )

That's a nasty title Mr Music Man and what's the betting that it will be the most read thread - you just watch the stats for the viewing rise and rise!

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
super_sop said:
redirections aswell!!
thatll get the count up :p

Yup Craig - need everyone to be aware of the update and downtime.... not much time to let everyone know... :?

Keppler

Staff member
a nifty new feature is the "buy your moderator a pint" button, which will soon be at the bottom of every page ;)

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
jonford said:
Is there any new features or anything else we can expect with the software upgrade?

Hi jon - no not really, not functionality. There are apparantly, some security loopholes that have been fixed and some performance improvements but no functional enhancements. Those are left to me to determine what and when etc... I should include them within tMP.

I do have plans to provide additional functional snippets - which is another reason I want to get upgraded to the latest version of the software - no point in adding modifications then finding they have changed with the latest version of the software.

I plan to do 2 major upgrades per year - this is the 1st so far since I launched tMP.

I'll provide a 'planned for development' list in the near future so you can all have a chance to point out to me what additional functionality you'd like to see on tMP.

John

HBB

you forgot to write the small print:

For every pint you buy the moderator .. they have to buy you two back ... for trying to be cheeky! :D lol

bladder

...12:01 am through to 2:30 am...

B*gger! I'll have to find something else to do, e.g. read a book. watch TV or something. I'll be logging on at 2:31 am.....Well maybe

blondie

Thanks John, you nearly ruined my saturday lunchtime. :wink: But i suppose to maintain this high level of operational ability, these things have to be done. Well thanks for your efforts and improvements to tMP, without you we'd be very lonely. :wink:

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
Apologies folks, I am postponing the upgrade as I am having trouble backing up the SQL data - and the LAST thing I will do is upgrade tMP without backing up all of tMP data :!: :!:

So, the plan now is to sort the backup problem out, speak to my WebHost in the morning and reschedule the upgrade.

So, no cold turkey this evening then... :)

bladder

TheMusicMan said:
..as I am having trouble backing up the SQL data..
I'm not surprised, more data than you bargained for, or non-local backup going to take too long? Ahh yes, the joys of databases!! ( Well MySQL is only just a SQL DB )
Good Luck TheMusicMan!!

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
bladder said:
I'm not surprised, more data than you bargained for, or non-local backup going to take too long? Ahh yes, the joys of databases!! ( Well MySQL is only just a SQL DB )
Good Luck TheMusicMan!!

Hi bladder....

Yup - a lot more data than I bargained for. Thing is, I do backups from the current version of the s/w I use three or four times a week, and have done so since I launched last November.... but... to my shock and horror - a month ago I discovered a known (but not to me!!) bug in the backup code - yup, it certainly backed up all the records, but will NULL values in every row...... aarrggghhhhhh...

So, I then used a db tool to backup but had problems when I went to backup on the weekend... now my data is at risk... :? and I obviously need to get this sorted asap....

Latest version fixes this known bug.... if only I could backup :? :?

John

Hi John, Does the hosting company not perform backups on your behalf? Most do and retain tapes off thier site somewhere???

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
Mike Saville said:
Hi John, Does the hosting company not perform backups on your behalf? Most do and retain tapes off thier site somewhere???

Hi Mike - yes they do, and twice daily.... so I suppose I could do the upgrade really, but you know what it's like - one wants to make sure everything is sorted before I do it. tMP has grown so much these last few months and is my baby - I really would'nt want to lose her :)

.. and, as I need to do regular backupd anyway, I still therefore need to find out why I cannot backup!!!!

I have my webhost at 3rd line support now.... :?

jfenwick

ahhhhhhhh thats so cute and kind and caring.

your baby. You must really love us all.

that wasnt sarcasm by the way.

Thankyou for such a great website!!!!!!!!!!

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
Hi jfenwick,

jfenwick said:
ahhhhhhhh thats so cute and kind and caring.

your baby. You must really love us all.

Well, as I said tMP has grown sooo much these last few months I really had no idea it would become such a... well... don't know what you'd call her really... :? a site with so many great folk interested in visiting her I suppose :)

It's people like you who make it what it is though - I just provide the means.... :D

jfenwick said:
that wasnt sarcasm by the way.

Thankyou for such a great website!!!!!!!!!!

Not taken as sarcasm at all... :) thanks for these encouraging comments.... makes all the hours burning midnight-oil, worthwhile for me those type of comment do... thanks.... :wink:

J

Valvecap

I remember my company trying to back up there files.... half way through a SQL backup, the power died....

Battery power kicked in straight away... kept about 10 machines alive in the office....

Until someone went and plugged in a kettle...

30 seconds later.... SQL went bye bye...

Took ages to get it back on again...

Laughed... i nearly did....