Those special words and phrases....

twigglet

Having just moved down to London, which is quite predictably full of southerners, i find it weird that they have no idea what some things I say mean.

e.g.
He/she went absolutely west
(is cheshire speak for he/she went mad)

Interested to learn some local phrases for local people, anything to offer..................... :wink:

Pythagoras

Until I came to Yorkshire I'd never heard 'Got a face on'. Means you are in a bad mood. Use it a lot now. Had never heard 'Twagging' as a phrase for bunking off school before either. Also Gennels (sp?) as a kind of alley behind houses.

Fishsta

Pythagoras, you mean a Ginnel! A Ginnell is a path that connects two paths between rows of houses, much like an alley.

One of the worst errors to make is telling an American that you like hanging around with your mates. They will be shocked to hear that you have more than one mate, and that you hang around with them together and at the same time...

This is because a mate to them is not a friend, but someone whom you "have relations" with.

Accents and dialect can also be a problem. Round here, a moggy is a mouse, and the words "Stir", "Stair" and "Stare" are all pronounced the same. You don't catch a "Bus", you catch a "Buzz", and the word "Moor" has two distinct syllables. (Moo-er)

Of course, us Lancashire types are 100% correct in our use of English. :)

Straightmute

Fishsta said:
One of the worst errors to make is telling an American that you like hanging around with your mates. They will be shocked to hear that you have more than one mate, and that you hang around with them together and at the same time...

Particularly if you're enjoying a quick fag.

D

Fishsta said:
Pythagoras, you mean a Ginnel! A Ginnell is a path that connects two paths between rows of houses, much like an alley.

Or do you mean a snicket??

In Leeds we have snickets and ginnells but I can never remember which is which. I think one is meant to be covered.

We also take "pack ups" to work in Leeds rather than sandwiches or a packed lunch.

Straightmute

daisygemma said:
In Leeds we have snickets and ginnells but I can never remember which is which. I think one is meant to be covered.

In York they're called 'snickleways'. A word I've always enjoyed.

D

twigglet

Straightmute said:
'snickleways'. D

what a brilliant word!!

There is also the classic of a breadroll being a batch?!!

And a Shropshire phrase- just a tadge (just a little) always makes me grin

:D

Accidental

Supporting Member
In parts of Sussex a snickleway (excellent word!!!) would be called a twitten - you might come across that in London. Good luck if you ever meet a real Cockney!

PeterBale

Staff member
Accidental said:
In parts of Sussex a snickleway (excellent word!!!) would be called a twitten - you might come across that in London. Good luck if you ever meet a real Cockney!

A snickleway could also be referred to as a "back passage", which calls for careful usage!

When we were in Sunderland our daughter was very small and soon picked up the local terminolgy: "You'se 'll get wrang, mind" etc, not to mention the joys of the "stotty".

A bun, depending on where you are, can be a bread roll or a cake, and of course if you ask an american for a biscuit you're likely to get a scone instead of a biscuit (cookie).

In Scotland, of course, the bread is plain or pan, sausage is "slice" or "links", and I was rather taken aback when the receptionist said to me "Gi' us a poke" (meading she wanted me to pass her a paper bag) :wink: :lol: :lol:

WhatSharp?

Straightmute said:
Fishsta said:

Particularly if you're enjoying a quick fag.

D

Of course if you REALLY want to go for shock value : "I'm going to muck about with me mates out here, have a quick fag, sup up a pint of brown, then slip inside to catch Dyke's performance"

Di B

Accidental said:

Not sure if they are local but alleys, jitties, twitchells are all the same.

Pack up is used here too, as is snap - again same thing.

Bread rolls? You mean cobs? :wink:

Heather

This thread is really interesting.

The bread issue does seem to cause problems though..
I used to live in Manchester and we had 'barmcakes' and 'baps'. Baps were a small version of a barmcake.
When i moved to Cheshire , no one had heard of a barmcake. They were called 'muffins'. ....now, I thought a muffin was a cake!....very confusing!

Big Twigge

Little cakes apparently are buns(yorkshire phrase I think)...to me buns are bread rolls
baps however is a great expression...comedy value all the way!

Also the expression for example of working 9 until 5 sometimes becomes 9 while 5......crazy!

Straightmute

Big Twigge said:
9 while 5

That's very common in NY. People who say that nearly always begin a sentence with 'Naaathen' (Now/then - in itself a contradiction) just as folks from Slough finish every sentence with 'innit'.

Naaathen. Would you like to share your baps wi' me?

D

Keppler

Staff member
hmm.. around here, a bun is a type of cake, baps and rolls are types of bread (although different) and the king of all breads is called a blaaaa (not too sure how to spell that, get mixed up in the amount of 'a's - hard to tell when confronted with a flat Waterford accent though)

Big Twigge

bar tat = without a hat in Yorkshire I believe...(if this is wrong I blame my lovely friend from Barnsley for not teaching me correctly!)

sudcornet

"Bah, it's nithery. Cummin' a pezzler dan't gill. Wu might as weal swale't barfen ower't gallower stonnin'n gan'n mizzel yam"

A pint of cyber-yal to whoever comes up with an accurate translation. (Or a real one if you catch up with me)

North York Moors Dialect (Rosedale, Farndale, Bransdale and East Moors)

Sud