Those annoying dialers...

neiltwist

TheMusicMan said:
When these people take these jobs with marketing/promotion/double glazing companies, they know what they are letting themselves in for, and they also know that they are going to recieve a hostile reception quite regularly... and their employers train them in spin methods to get around this...

I am not a rude person, but firmly believe in fair play. They won't give me their number for the same reasons as I don't like them calling me.

I am definately not trying to defend any company, especially one that use machines and/or cold calling, but when approached in the street I will always say no thanks, or more often, my dad works in your office.

but also wuite often, employees are told it's an easy way to make money with commission, and are college students (in st helens), who don't actually know what they're letting themselves in for.

I'm not making an excuse for the company here, and believe, me, the number of people who have asked for a brochure to be sent out, and the phone has said that's not copmpany policy... they're losing themselves business. and how mny people would object to a brochure? (as long as the address wasn't abused)

I do appologise for this, and realise it's not rudeness in the everyday sense, but sometimes you've got to uphold standards no matter what discomfort it puts you in.

TheMusicMan

tMP Founder
Staff member
neiltwist said:
I do appologise for this, and realise it's not rudeness in the everyday sense, but sometimes you've got to uphold standards no matter what discomfort it puts you in.

Hey Neil... no need to apologise for anything mate... it's your opinion and the fact that you voice it is super. All makes for good debate... ;) :)

ScrapingtheBottom

neiltwist said:
good, can I just say that geordie colin is the greatest though?

Are you guys, you know, having a thing? :lol:

Anyway...

I guess that all that time I spent working in customer service during uni holidays has made me learn how to deal with annoying people without being rude! But it is a serious advantage when dealing with cold callers if you just say you don't own anything - no car, no house (say you are renting), no tv, etc. etc. that way you get crossed off the list.

Yes I have recieved a number of these machine recorded messages recently to and they often say things like if you are interested in buying *product Name* press 1 now. I ALWAYS hang up.

My favourite way of dealing with such callers was demonstrated by my best friend a few years ago

The caller was trying to sell a conservatory and asked my friend if she was interested she replied that she was so the caller talked her through the in's and outs of having a conservatory.

My friend then asked approximatly how much it would cost which was £*x* thousand pounds! :D

My friend then asked if the company would take cash. The caller sounding very excited replied that they would be happy to take cash. My friend then said erm....can you call back in about half an hour Im not sure Ive got that much in the piggy bank.....Im only 11!

The caller hung up!! :lol: :lol:

geordiecolin

ScrapingtheBottom said:
neiltwist said:

Actually Neil was foolish enough to tell me his password for tmp...... so I edited his signature a little. (I did nothing else though oh modly ones and won't do it again!!)

As for cold callers I enjoy extracting the urine... passing the phone around etc so they talk to 6 different people, pretend you don't speak english or just leaving them talking to themselves....

2nd man down

Staff member
Not quite in the "phone caller" vein but still funny...i remember when I was a kid out shopping with my mum, we were late for the bus and rushing through town laden down with shopping bags and this complete berk came strolling up, shook his tin under my mums nose and said "Doctor Barnado's Home?" and without even breaking stride my mum said "Didn't even know he'd been away!".
The look on the poor bloke's face was priceless.

:D

Bariman

I registered for the Telephone Preference Service ( http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/ ) and though I didn't notice it at first, after a while I realised that the calls had subsided. [There's also a link on the website for the Mail Preference Service - very useful as well. Save the trees!!! :D ]

Now when I get a call I ask them where they got my number from as I'm registered with TPS, it's amazing as all of them hang up immediately. :)

Before I registered with TPS I kept getting calls from a particular double glazing firm and I asked them to remove me from their lists. After about the 5th call I asked to speak to the supervisor. She came on the line and I had a go at her (politely I hasten to add) then a little sheepish voice said "John ?". Turns out it was the wife's 16 year old cousin! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Raspberry

geordiecolin said:
ScrapingtheBottom said:
neiltwist said:

Actually Neil was foolish enough to tell me his password for tmp...... so I edited his signature a little. (I did nothing else though oh modly ones and won't do it again!!)

As for cold callers I enjoy extracting the urine... passing the phone around etc so they talk to 6 different people, pretend you don't speak english or just leaving them talking to themselves....

Talking about not pretending to understand a thing / not speaking much English.....

At my workplace we get a lot of people who come into the housing office pretending that they don't speak much english so that they get their own way or we would then have to make the telephone call for them and you know deep down that they can understand everything you say....

I remember once having this tenant who said she didn't speak much english, couldn't understand what we were saying, staring blankly, we had to organise a translator to do the interview. Then a few weeks later there was incident just round the corner of the hosuing office and this tenant appeared on the local news as a witness and spoke perfect English in the interview on the news!!!! :twisted: I was spitting! :twisted:

flugelgal

I don't have an answer machine so I don't get those recorded messages, and my exchange isn't enabled for Broadband so when I'm home my line is always engaged anyway.. but on the rare occasion when I'm not online I have had a couple of cold callers.

I just tell them that I don't know how they have gotten my number since I'm ex-directory (which is true) and they are usually very polite and apologise and go away.

Years of customer service experience makes me understand what it's like to be stuck in a situation where someone is ranting at you for something you didn't do and have no control over. It's much easier just to point out the problem and explain things and everybody ends up happy... :D

I totally disagree with Pre-recorded messages. I think the whole idea of calling someone you don't know up out of the blue to sell them something is bad enough, but to use a machine to do it automatically is just reprehensible. Just my opinion though, so don't shoot me please! :shock:

Fishsta

What about all these people working for NPower?

Well, they're not working for NPower as such, but a company that tries to sign people over to NPower.

OK, here's how it works.

1) Gentleman or lady calls at your door or in your shop, and asks you about your electric bill. He says he's from NPower, and has a good offer for you. He tries to sign you up to a contract that actually looks quite good. You sign, you find yourself on a completely different contract, paying an extortionate monthly fee, and you CAN'T GET OUT OF IT because they have your signature on it.

2) Gentleman or lady calls at your door or in your shop, and asks you about your electric bill. He says he's from Npower, and has a good offer for you. He tries to sign you up to a contract that actually looks quite good. You politely decline. He asks you to sign something just to say that he's visited you. You sign. You find yourself on a contract to Npower, paying an extortionate monthly fee, and you CAN'T GET OUT OF IT because they have your signature on it.

3) Gentleman or lady calls at your door or in your shop, and asks you for a meter reference from your electric bill. You give it, and shortly afterwards find that you are on a tight and binding contract to pay over an extortionate monthly fee, and you CAN'T GET OUT OF IT.

See a pattern here?

They will lie, they will cheat and they will try to STEAL money from you. Its been on Watchdog, but STILL they're doing it. They keep calling in our shop, we tell them in no uncertain terms what we think of them.

If you're going to do a job that everybody's going to hate you for such as telesales or this scam, you've got to expect to get some serious abuse.

If you don't like it, find a proper job that doesn't pay by annoying people or by fraud.

neiltwist

Do you know what really irritates me? those people on the street who wont take a "one of" donation, and try to force you to sign up to a direct debit agreement to give them £10 a month.

JessopSmythe

Some of these automated ones aren't even trying to sell you anything! They're after nicking your money. Some of them will ask you to press a key (usually 9 or #). Doing that will connect you to another number billed at extortionate rates (examples of up to £10 per minute have been quoted in some newspapers). The call is not disconnected until the recorded message finishes, regardless of whether or not you hang up. You'll often know nothing about it until you get the phone bill. :evil:

Fishsta

JessopSmythe said:
Some of these automated ones aren't even trying to sell you anything! They're after nicking your money. Some of them will ask you to press a key (usually 9 or #). Doing that will connect you to another number billed at extortionate rates (examples of up to £10 per minute have been quoted in some newspapers). The call is not disconnected until the recorded message finishes, regardless of whether or not you hang up. You'll often know nothing about it until you get the phone bill. :evil:

Not true. The above is an urban myth.

From IT Vibe:

The Independant Committee for the Supervision of standards of Telephone Information Services (ICSTIS) are advising people that a current email doing the rounds is a complete hoax.

The ICSTIS have taken hundreds of calls from worried people in the last few days who have had the email sent to them which warns them of a phone scam that could cost them dearly.

The content of the hoax email is as follows:

We have received the following information from our security advisors on a telephone scam current operating in the UK Note it is as likely to targeted to work, home or mobile phones The scenario is:-
Your phone rings and you receive a recorded message; Congratulations. We are calling to advise you that you have won an all expenses paid trip to <an exotic destination>.
Please press 9 now to hear further details.
If you press 9, you'll be connected to a premium line that bills in the region of £20 per minute.
If you press 9 and connect, even if you disconnect immediately, the other end will stay connected for a minimum of 5 minutes - at a cost to you of £100 - the message lasts for 11 minutes. The final part of the call asks you to key in your postcode and house number (which has other serious considerations) and then, after a wait of a further two minutes, responds with the message:
Sorry, you are not one of the lucky winners. and disconnects, adding a further £260 to your bill! Unfortunately the calls are originating from outside the U.K. and as such BT and other providers are relatively powerless to act. The only safe solution is to hang up before the message prompts you to press 9

The ICSTIS have confirmed that a £20 per minute tariff could not exist and the telephone system could not be rigged in such a way that this could ever work.

People who get the email are advised to delete it immediately, without forwarding it to anyone.

Fishsta

neiltwist said:
Do you know what really irritates me? those people on the street who wont take a "one of" donation, and try to force you to sign up to a direct debit agreement to give them £10 a month.

I think there should be a law against this.

The idea of charity is to be able to give when you want, as much as you want, to the charity you want at the time.

Well Worth It

Fishsta said:
neiltwist said:

I think there should be a law against this.

The idea of charity is to be able to give when you want, as much as you want, to the charity you want at the time.

Tell them you have a standing order to pay the Leprosy Sufferers Charity.
They soon give you a wide bearth.

The Cornet King

Reminds me of a time when a work colleague of my dad was phoned by some guy from Britannia encyclopedia's. He got fed up of these calls so just told the guy he was really interested and wanted to have a look at the volumes.

So the guy drove all the way up to Huddersfield with the full set, all volumes of this huge Britannia encyclopedia.
Laid them all out in the room with the 'interested party' watching.
Then he just turned round to the salesman and said i'm not at all interested and never have been and walked out. :lol: :lol:

Don't think they troubled him again!

:wink:

Di

We don't get ANY calls trying to sell anything now. We got totally fed up with new kitchen, double glazing, conservatory, etc calls and found a number to call about it. :twisted: Would have to look up who it was. They send you a form and you fill it in and within a very short time, ALL calls cease. :D

Pah! Until recently. Got a couple of calls a few weeks ago, and today I've had TWO calls from Direct Response. The first caller, I listened to her, then told her I'm on the register or whatever it is stops your calls and told her I wasn't interest. I've just had another one from them and I'm afraid I was less polite. :redface: I didn't even listen to her line and told her simply "this is the second call I've had from you today, I told you before I wasn't interested and I'm still not now.. Goodbye" and put the phone down. Grrr. How many more?

And.. A couple of weeks ago, I got a call from "American Life" trying to interest me in a "well woman" package. This was a cold call which came to my personal extension at work, and asked for me by name. I asked how they got that number as I only give my office extension to the school for emergencies along with my mobile number, which is the one they usually use. They said I'd filled in a form giving that as a daytime contact .. but I don't do that as I work such peculiar part time hours I always give out my mobile if a number is needed. :confused:

NeilW

Pah! Until recently. Got a couple of calls a few weeks ago, and today I've had TWO calls from Direct Response. The first caller, I listened to her, then told her I'm on the register or whatever it is stops your calls and told her I wasn't interest. I've just had another one from them and I'm afraid I was less polite. :redface: I didn't even listen to her line and told her simply "this is the second call I've had from you today, I told you before I wasn't interested and I'm still not now.. Goodbye" and put the phone down. Grrr. How many more?

And.. A couple of weeks ago, I got a call from "American Life" trying to interest me in a "well woman" package. This was a cold call which came to my personal extension at work, and asked for me by name. I asked how they got that number as I only give my office extension to the school for emergencies along with my mobile number, which is the one they usually use. They said I'd filled in a form giving that as a daytime contact .. but I don't do that as I work such peculiar part time hours I always give out my mobile if a number is needed. :confused:

I think that TPS listings expire after a while. Might be worth revisiting the website and re-registering your number (you can do mobiles too....)

The office call probably means that someone has given away a copy of the office phone list! This used to be quite common with (Computing) Job Agencies and everyone in the office would get a call trying to interest them in the same job - usually within a day.

One "hint" (I must admit that, many years ago, I worked on an "answer detection facility" for outbound calls so understand a little about how they work....): if you get what is clearly a computer generated call (either a message, or that peculiar "almost silence") then just spout nonsense for 20 seconds. Most will decide that > 2 seconds of "voice" when the phone answers means that they've got through to an answerphone. Even better if you can whistle the 3 tone (low, medium, high) sequence - that way you'll probably get recorded as an unobtainable number!

Di said:
trying to interest me in a "well woman" package

Maybe someone has been putting it about that you're a sick woman :eek:

Neil.

Di

I think that TPS listings expire after a while. Might be worth revisiting the website and re-registering your number (you can do mobiles too....)
Thanks. If I get any more, I'll try that. It has been a good few years since we registered.

The office call probably means that someone has given away a copy of the office phone list! This used to be quite common with (Computing) Job Agencies and everyone in the office would get a call trying to interest them in the same job - usually within a day.
I asked at work and they said none of our information goes outside the company. I'm 99% sure I've given it to no one other than the schools, but there's always room for a little doubt. :rolleyes:

One "hint" (I must admit that, many years ago, I worked on an "answer detection facility" for outbound calls so understand a little about how they work....): if you get what is clearly a computer generated call (either a message, or that peculiar "almost silence") then just spout nonsense for 20 seconds. Most will decide that > 2 seconds of "voice" when the phone answers means that they've got through to an answerphone.
Hey, I'd be good at that. :biggrin:

Even better if you can whistle the 3 tone (low, medium, high) sequence - that way you'll probably get recorded as an unobtainable number!
Hmm, would be interesting to try.

Maybe someone has been putting it about that you're a sick woman :eek:

Neil.
Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest .....

Crawford! ??:eek: