Things that drive you mad at rehearsal!

meandmycornet

aimee_euph said:
What annoys me in rehearsals is people who take banding too seriously, at the end of the day it's only a hobby and there are plenty more important things in life. There may be a reason for being late....such as your new born baby being ill/you being ill/dog being ill/person who takes you to band being ill...no petrol in the car and only realising halfway to band...Relying on other people to take you - ie mum and dad, and they only finish work late and not had chance to think before taking you to band.

I understand people need to practise in order for band to work, and for music can be played properly but can some bands not have a laugh and a fun rehearsal?! Why would you want to go to a band if you didn't enjoy seeing the people there, and having a relaxed atmosphere instead of it being like boot camp for the army?

*rant over*

Couldn't agree with you more aimee! Well Said!

sevenhelz

thanks aimee :) i wasn't saying all old music is cheesy though i can see how i didn't phrase it very clearly; just thought you all might like my post to be less than an entire page!
xxx

brasscrest

- Players who cannot find their music at the time the MD calls for it, especially as in our band the MD gives out a sheet at the beginning of each rehearsal that lists exactly what pieces he's planning to rehearse. Inevitably, we'll get to one of the last items and we'll have to wait for someone to dig around to find their part.

- Players who are late to rehearal and feel that they have to make a grand entrance. In our area, traffic can be extreme and so it's quite common for some of us to be a bit tardy. But I can't stand when someone who is late must wiggle their way into the middle of the formation while we are playing, or is in such a rush that stands go flying. Wait until the MD is at a stopping place, then quietly slip into your seat.

- Carry-on playing after the MD stops. Rehearsal time is limited and precious - don't waste it like this.

- Players who don't bring all of their essential gear to their seat at one time - come in, sit down. Return to case for valve oil. A few minutes later, return to case for reading glasses. A few minutes later, return to case for straight mute. A few minutes later, return to case for cup mute. And so on - this is maddening (again, in our band we know before the rehearsal what pieces are on the agenda - so everyone should know what mutes are needed).

Cornishwomble

brasscrest said:
- Players who don't bring all of their essential gear to their seat at one time - come in, sit down. Return to case for valve oil. A few minutes later, return to case for reading glasses. A few minutes later, return to case for straight mute. A few minutes later, return to case for cup mute. And so on - this is maddening (again, in our band we know before the rehearsal what pieces are on the agenda - so everyone should know what mutes are needed).

Ooh I hate that one, it really gets on my nerves, after all we know we need this stuff in the course of a practice. :mad:

sterlingsop

ian perks said:
I think i have mentioned this before but i will say it again in this thread:
PEOPLE WHO CARRRY ON PLAYING FOR ANOTHER 2/4 BARS AFTER THE CONDUCTOR AS STOPPED THE BAND.

This gets me very annoyed as it only wastes time in practise its even worse when you are practising for a contest:mad: :mad: :mad: :ranting2: (Watch the conductor instead of having your head in your part) or else you will get this instead:
:hammer

Hear hear.

It drives me mad as a player - especially because the conductor sometimes stops on a specific point to rehearse, but because some people (or whole sections) carry on for another phrase or so the point is lost, and MORE time is spent having to count backwards to the bar where he wanted to stop in the first place!!!

Now, when it's me that conducts it's not to clear to see when I stop moving my arms so I can't blame them for going on a bit......!!!

as a conductor, i've got to agree with all of the above!!
My "best" hate is players who constantly turn up late (without excuse) expecting their stands to be put up for them, then not turning up for three rehearsals at a time (without apology) then turning up expecting their seat to be ready and waiting for them! (they know who they is!!!), then repeating this predictable cycle without taking any obvious practice unbetween.

euphfanhan

When you're looking forward to a contest (the date of which has been given about 6 months in advance) and then half the players realise that theyre busy! Or, if theyre slightly more honest, they spend a whole rehearsal saying that they dont like contests and persuading the conductor that its pointless...! What are they doing in a contesting band if they dont like contests???? They just ruin it for everyone, you cant go to a contest with half a band!

Jasonp

meandmycornet said:
people trying to telly the MD he is wrong! what he says it what goes!

Can't agree with this, we all make mistakes.

If the MD of my band makes a mistake, or I dont agree with his opinion, I will tell him. However, if he insists that that's what he want's, then so be it. After all we are in a rehearsal and rehearsals are there for us to get things right.

daveredhead

Bass Man said:
Hmmm, Where do I start:

1. Band members arguing with the conductor
2. People who don't practice
3. Talking during practice
4. Walking about during a rehearsal
5. Lateness
6. Unexplained Absence
7. Experienced players laughing at inexperienced players
8. Not having your music prepared
9. Mobile phones ringing/people texting
10. People who don't concentrte/pay attention during rehearsal
11. People who argue about the msic that is to be rehearsed
12. Having a break mid-rehearsal
13. People who do not treat a run through as a concert/contest performance

I'm going to stop there, I can think of a few more but I assure everyone that I'm not Victor
Meldrew!
Maaan!!! I agree with everything, and more, players who turn up late, No apologies,got to have smoke break,people who can not remember from one rehearsal to another, so we have to go over again and waste valuable rehearsal time, Who said can of worms!!! and I enjoy my banding

ted

Players not taking risks during rehearsals drive me mad.

Players thinking that it's the instrument's job to play in tune drive me mad.

Player next to you breathing every second bar drives me mad.

Players who need to have the last word when the conductor gives an instruction drive me mad.

Conductors talking after signaling everyone's instruments to be up drive me mad.

Conductors singing all the time drive me mad.

Band parents running a band like a school group when most of the band's members are adults drive me mad.

ted

PeterBale

Staff member
Just realised I missed off the worst of all - and not only in rehearsals:

people who insist on tapping their feet, usually just at the edge of your peripheral vision, and always slightly out with the beat coming from the man in the middle :mad:

passpertout

Claire,

what a wonderful thread. Having been around banding a few years now, and enjoying it more than ever, this thread prompted me to actually post a reply. One of my pet hates is people who don't help, possibly because they think they are above helping, maybe because they are lazy.

I have had a look at the dictionary, Cambridge no less, and a band is described in many ways. One way is "a group of musicians who play modern music together", so that can't be wholly us.

The description I prefer is "a group of people who share the same interests or beliefs, or who have joined together for a special purpose".

That special purpose of pursuing our hobby to make the music we enjoy playing, listening to etc. That music cannot be made if we are not a team. The team is only as good overall as the weakest link. All links should be encouraged, what they give is attendance and effort and should never be derided for that, whatever age or ability. The team needs to pull together.

So, to all those team members who do not raise a finger to help in the running or setting up of the band, or who are quick to criticise, and you know who you are, I ask, take a look at yourself and ask if you are a good team member?. Make a 1/2 yearly resolution to give a little more, it doesn't hurt. The more who help the quicker the job gets done to the benefit of the team.

Ask Aiden he knows !!

Rapier

Supporting Member
I've thought of another Pet Hate. Prima Donna Conductors that resign, waiting to be begged to come back!

Oh, and another. Committees that 'do beg them to come back'!

Jasonp

PeterBale said:
Just realised I missed off the worst of all - and not only in rehearsals:

people who insist on tapping their feet, usually just at the edge of your peripheral vision, and always slightly out with the beat coming from the man in the middle :mad:

Ha ha...happy with that one Peter, it drives me insane.

jingleram

Being put low down the bench because there are older players, having not heard you play or asked for an audition.
Prinicipal euphs who take every single solo part or 'one' part in every single piece simply because they are prinicipal, even though you are more than capable!
MD's thinking that baritone sections are just an extension of the euph section, so you should play baritone, even though you are a euph player through and through!

AEHOWGATE

My pet hate is committee's that are full of parents whom have never played a note in their lives and playing committee members that say nowt when they either waste band money or get involved in playing matters. If you are one of the above parents, stick to the valuble fund raising work you do.

Big Twigge

Things that annoy me....
1. People talking all the time (yes I know I'm probably guilty of it too), but I wouldn't say I'm the worst culprit and I managed to combine it with listening...mostly!

2. People who always stay around to look as though they're helping pack up the percussion etc, but actually just stand around chatting all the time doing sod all (probably guilty of this too, but not very often - I'm a great lifter and shifter!)

3.When I play wrong notes - why don't I learn to play them right:mad:

brasscrest

Big Twigge said:
2. People who always stay around to look as though they're helping pack up the percussion etc, but actually just stand around chatting all the time doing sod all (probably guilty of this too, but not very often - I'm a great lifter and shifter!)

Especially when they are standing IN the percussion section so that those who are actually helping have to go around them to put the perc equipment away!

daveredhead

things that drive you mad

brasscrest said:
Especially when they are standing IN the percussion section so that those who are actually helping have to go around them to put the perc equipment away!

I think we must have covered nearly everything, But non of us tMPrs do any of the above, so rehearsals will be sooooo much better, all we have too do is convert the un-converted, and we will all benifit:clap: