There's no place like... ...smile!

timbloke

Following on the brilliant thread "There's no place like moan!" found here where we have the oppertunity to let off steam about the little things that wind us up; and after seeing a bloke in a bow-tie walking down the road the other day (see below); I thought, maybe we should have a place where we can thank the little things in life that make you smile. The pointless or in significant little things that would mean nothing to most people, but to you - they can make your day.

:):):):):):)

I'll start....

Gentlemen who wear bow-ties, not for any reason, just because they can.
The tunnel north of Dronfield, where all the loud people on their mobile phones suddenly go quiet.

Big Twigge

People smiling at you because they're happy with no other intention other than to spread a bit of love.

Seeing people who are laughing at themselves.

Big Twigge

bigmamabadger said:
Little girls in pretty dresses playing at being fairies or princesses.
Cats falling over.
BMB
xx
Unbelievably as I wrote my smile moment, the cat fell off the bed and I smiled based on your smile moment!

bigmamabadger

Big Twigge said:
Unbelievably as I wrote my smile moment, the cat fell off the bed and I smiled based on your smile moment!
I love the air of flustered cool a cat projects when it falls over. You know, the "I meant to do that really" face they make and then stalk off with their tails up.
I also smile:
When babies smile at me just because I'm there.
When Amy comes for a snuggle in the morning
When I'm all alone on top of a hill with the wind blowing through my hair
When I'm sitting on a beach with my eyes closed just listening to the waves, wind and seagulls.
BMB
xx

bagpuss

Fishing - somewhere quiet. Not bothered if I'm actually catching anything or not.
Hearing babies laugh.
Seeing a boy racer who's car has broken down - harsh I know but it makes me smile.
Being on my little 'ped at ridiculous o'clock in the morning with only me on the road.
Being on a canal boat, early ona lovely autumn morning. Not a care in the world.
Seeing friends being happy

Puss

bigmamabadger

bagpuss said:
Being on a canal boat, early ona lovely autumn morning. Not a care in the world.
Oh yes! With the mist sitting gently on the canal, a bacon butty in one hand, coffee in the other and the smell of diesel genty wafting across the nostrils. I love the smell of diesel in the morning.
BMB
xx

Charmed

bagpuss said:
Fishing - somewhere quiet. Not bothered if I'm actually catching anything or not.
Hearing babies laugh.
Seeing a boy racer who's car has broken down - harsh I know but it makes me smile.
Being on my little 'ped at ridiculous o'clock in the morning with only me on the road.
Seeing friends being happy

Puss

Obviously someone who is happy with their own company ;)

I too smile when the many 'boy racers' have car trouble. I really smile as I 'flash' past them! :biggrin:

timbloke

bigmamabadger said:
I love the smell of diesel in the morning.

It is very addictive... I worked for 6 months inspecting diesel tanks around the country, you soon get attached to the smell.

mikelyons

Supporting Member
When the light comes on (it's a teacher thing :))
When I'm composing and it turns out well
Music
When I play a tricky passage and it goes well (and then I go sharp :))
When people I love are happy
When I see a police horse

1alexm

- seeing young people play very good
- hometime/breaktime/dinnertime
- friday night to monday morning (weekend)
- holidays

Pythagoras

When ex-pupils who were horrible come up to you in the pub and are really nice.

Seeing chavs who are trying to fare dodge being thrown off trams.

Being asked by pupils to write them a reference.

Last edited:

Di

bigmamabadger said:
When I'm sitting on a beach with my eyes closed just listening to the waves, wind and seagulls.
BMB
xx

Thats a flippin good one!
Watching vicki crack into giggles just because she's remembered something funny. A couple of weeks back I drove about 15 miles down the motorway in stunned silence while Vicki worked herself up into histerics over something that had happened earlier in the day.

andyp

Small acts of politeness, like when you let someone into a queue of traffic and they wave thank you (like 99.9% of bikers do).

Cuddles from my daughters.

When the car that just cut you up gets nicked by the plain-clothes Range Rover he didn't see following him! (see, sometimes there is a police car when you want one).

PeterBale

Staff member
When you manage to catch the eye of the upset infant on the bus, and manage to turn his/her tears into a smile and a laugh.

Pythagoras

Seeing kids coming back from Work Experience having been treated much worse by their bosses than we're ever allowed to at school, and realising that they are not such clever grown up people as they thought they were.

Last edited: