The worst concert venue?

johnflugel

The SA's Territorial School Final Concert of 2001 was held at Mote Hall, Maidstone. This hall is part of the Leisure Centre - seating comes out the wall at the touch of a button! The acoustic was dire and when the girls choir were struggling to see the conductor and project the sound in rehearsal, they enlisted the help of the centre's sports equipment. Very amusing to see 80 girls stood on Pink/Turqoise 'Step Aerobic' platforms :lol:

Vickitorious

We played in a church a couple of months ago and it had to be the smallest place we'd ever played in. It was soo small! Acoustics were good tho! :D

Then about 3 weeks ago we played in a hotel. and we were sat unerneath a dome type thing. and it was horrible because you couldn't tell wether you were playing loud or quiet and all you could hear was cornets! :wink: :roll:

The Cornet King

Unfortunately i had to miss this gig but my band Cottingham did a gig on Saturday night at 12 midnight (yep you read correctly!) half way down a cliff face!!!

It was some Millionaires wife's 64th birthday, and he wanted the band as a surprise for her, so he got a JCB to dig a road down the cliff face and there the band played!
Apparently the cliff was a protected area and he shouldn't have done that but hey the band got a more than hefty pay packet for a measley 15 mins music :D

johnflugel

The Cornet King said:
Unfortunately i had to miss this gig but my band Cottingham did a gig on Saturday night at 12 midnight (yep you read correctly!) half way down a cliff face!!!

It was some Millionaires wife's 64th birthday, and he wanted the band as a surprise for her, so he got a JCB to dig a road down the cliff face and there the band played!
Apparently the cliff was a protected area and he shouldn't have done that but hey the band got a more than hefty pay packet for a measley 15 mins music :D

Took you fifteen minutes to play 'Prague'? :wink:

mikelyons

Supporting Member
The list of the world's worst venues could be endless:

There's a catholic club in Bolton where Eagley played when I was with them. The band were told to hurry up and get on with it because the bingo was being held up and the audience (I use the term loosely) talked loudly all the way through the performance (including the solos) and the introductions. :x

Recently, though some might not think this a bad job, Old Hall played in a very small and cluttered garage which had been converted into a micro-brewery. Some of us were perched on shelves, One of our BBb players had unripe beer running over her feet and the conductor (moi) had to avoid hitting the people who were serving beefburgers while conducting. The beer was good, though! :guiness

Will the Sec

The worst venue for a gig that I played in was a farm in the middle of nowhere. Harlow took the gig at short notice when another local band pulled out.

We didn't get paid for the gig, but we did it as our conductor felt it would be a good opportunity to get ourselves seen in public.

When we got to the farm, it was clear that (a) there would only be farmers there; (b) there were only about 20; (c) only the farm owner was local; and (d) the farm owner wanted us to play in a barn far away from the entrance but didn't want us to drive cars across his fields to get our gear there.

When we got to the barn, there were no chairs. The farmer said we didn't need them as we had legs.

In the end, he provided four bales of hay for the tuba players to sit on, but everybody else had to stand.

To round of a very poor day, the event had a host who was about as funny as a car crash. He came up to me, kept putting his hand on the slide of my trombone whilst I was playing, despite being alerted to Acton's Rectum, and then when we'd finished the number, asked (over the air via his microphone) why I was in a bad mood.

I said that it was, in the main, because the idiot farmer hadn't provided chairs.

"Oh!" he says, "that's not good. Never mind. Let's have three chairs for the Harlow Band!! Hip hip..."

He's only alive because John Stradling and my little brother restrained me.

Needless to say, we never back.

Pythagoras

sparkling_quavers said:
The worst place I have ever played was Chatsworth House in Derbyshire. It's a little 'bandstand' in the middle of the forest up a muddy hill!!!!! :? The 'Bandstand' is tiny and has a massive stone island in the middle- we had to put the kit on the stone island and sit everyone else around the edge :shock: Apparently the acoustics are really good around the estate but the playing conditions are awful!!!!

I remember that, and all the equipment the cornet players didn't help carry :twisted:

I don't like playing at Center Parc's near Sherwood Forest much. I know you get free use of the swimming pool, but the walk from the car park to where you play is miles.

Raspberry

Pythagoras said:
sparkling_quavers said:
The worst place I have ever played was Chatsworth House in Derbyshire. It's a little 'bandstand' in the middle of the forest up a muddy hill!!!!! :? The 'Bandstand' is tiny and has a massive stone island in the middle- we had to put the kit on the stone island and sit everyone else around the edge :shock: Apparently the acoustics are really good around the estate but the playing conditions are awful!!!!

I remember that, and all the equipment the cornet players didn't help carry :twisted:

I don't like playing at Center Parc's near Sherwood Forest much. I know you get free use of the swimming pool, but the walk from the car park to where you play is miles.

We've played at Center Parcs in the past and felt that no one really listens to the band - just to a couple of pieces- not because of the playing standard of the band but there isn't really anywhere to sit and listen! I agree with you Daniel, the only perk is the free use of the swimming pool and water slides but it is a long walk from the car park.

We've had jobs playing under very flimsy gazebos this year - fine for keeping the rain off for the majority of the band but unfortunately a few members had wet bums whose chairs were placed on the edge of the gazebo. Last weekend we played at Bestwood Country Park - the weather held off and the sun shone but it was rather windy at times and resulted in my other half holding gazebo down so it didn't take off!!!!!

Last year we played at an opening of a Heritage Centre - one of the members commented that it looked like a public convenience! The band had to be split into half as two small marquees were erected but not together so horns and cornets played in one and the the rest of the band in the other! It was very goood fun and we had even more fun later that day...... :roll: in the village pub sampling the various beers on offer and then continuing into the night!!!

<nickw>

I must say Ripon Cathedral has really bad acoustics for a brass band concert. It makes it incredibly hard to stay in time