The "poaching" debate

Lauradoll

Andy_Euph said:
Yeah, well my band actually aint a poaching band, I was just trying to make the point that i know plenty of people and bands who do. We have a youth band and have a few canny players in it but no where along the success of your band Nick.

At the end of the day I don't condone poaching players but sometimes its a case of kill of be killed so to speak

What is a poaching band?

Liz Courts

I know of the situation Kelly is talking about, and I definitely don't agree with it!! Do I Kelly?!! Basically because my band was in a similar situation involving the same "poachers :D " a while back! Enough said... :evil::evil::p :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:!!!!!

sugarandspice

x_lizc_x said:
I know of the situation Kelly is talking about, and I definitely don't agree with it!! Do I Kelly?!! Basically because my band was in a similar situation involving the same "poachers :D " a while back! Enough said... :evil::evil::p :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:!!!!!

yes well i think you have a slightly biased opinion liz!- but it is still an opinion, which we are all entitled to have! :D

I wasn’t having a go at one band in particular, im talking generally. i just think it is really bad when another band is purposely "using" players to their own advantage, at the expense of lower section bands.

Lauradoll

I'm sure people are capable of making their own decisions, whether they are "enticed" or actually want to go anyway. It is only human nature to more on, develop and experience new things. Can you imagine how boring life would be if you did the same things forever. Same job? Same food? Same band. Variety is the spice of life. Get over it!

sugarandspice

Lauradoll said:
I'm sure people are capable of making their own decisions, whether they are "enticed" or actually want to go anyway. It is only human nature to more on, develop and experience new things. Can you imagine how boring life would be if you did the same things forever. Same job? Same food? Same band. Variety is the spice of life. Get over it!

yes, and as i have said before, i agree with that when it concerns one individual- but when it involves lots of players, and is done knowing full well that it is going to seriously effect the band-that’s not the spirit of banding, surely? :?

Lauradoll

Players need to come from somewhere and if so many players are leaving a band at once, it doesn't really suggest it's that enjoyable for them to play in! Otherwise why the mass walk out? If the other band's made them an attractive offer and they're not happy, why not?

DublinBass

Supporting Member
A large change 3+ players going to the same band probably isn't in the spirit of banding. However, I can see circumstances when that might happen without being underhanded.
1) A change in MD - there can often be turnover with a change in MD
2) If the three + people that leave are all family members looking to move or for something different
3) A band loses sponsorship and so the members leave want to go to a band that is more financially stable.

These are probably all more the exception that the rule, but I wouldn't want to make a blanket statement the mass poaching is always bad.

ScrapingtheBottom

I guess it's always going to be a problem as you can't stop people from having their own opinions and going where they want to.

If you are a young player who is serious about his or her music they you will want to progress at your speed. If the band you are in is moving too slow - find a better band. At the end of the day it's no good crying about "the ones that got away" at least you have introduce some new talent into the banding world and you should be glad of that - when one of those young players is playing with a top band you can be proud of what you, as educators, have achieved.

I don't like some of the methods employed by bands to lure people in, but if a player is happy with where they are then they won't move anyway, simple.

Liz Courts

ScrapingtheBottom said:
If you are a young player who is serious about his or her music they you will want to progress at your speed. If the band you are in is moving too slow - find a better band. At the end of the day it's no good crying about "the ones that got away" at least you have introduce some new talent into the banding world and you should be glad of that - when one of those young players is playing with a top band you can be proud of what you, as educators, have achieved.

Absolutely!! The players that "got away" from us have left the other band now, and are persuing successful careers in military banding! :D

noddy

Lauradoll said:

Well said!!! :tup

TuTuKu

ScrapingtheBottom said:
If you are a young player who is serious about his or her music they you will want to progress at your speed. If the band you are in is moving too slow - find a better band.

That's fair enough if it is truly a better band that the person is progressing into, and i know my band would support that.

We have had a few upsets recently with various players being "poached" and moving to a local band, that's no better than we are. This other band has just been rekindled and no doubt in a few months the MD'll move on and it'll be back to where it was before.

One of these players was a very promising young cornet player who learnt everything at our band and we feel let down by his "decision" to move to the other one. If it had been a top section band, of which he is capable of playing in, i feel sure the band would have supported him fully.

ScrapingtheBottom

TuTuKu said:
One of these players was a very promising young cornet player who learnt everything at our band and we feel let down by his "decision" to move to the other one. If it had been a top section band, of which he is capable of playing in, i feel sure the band would have supported him fully.

Is he moving to a better position? Maybe there were some personal issues that were affecting him? People don't up sticks without a reason.

peasantband

Lauradoll said:
I'm sure people are capable of making their own decisions, whether they are "enticed" or actually want to go anyway. It is only human nature to more on, develop and experience new things. Can you imagine how boring life would be if you did the same things forever. Same job? Same food? Same band.

I am to agree here. It is not like the life where you are to have make the comittment for life to a partner who you love. The band it is different, like the food on the menu. Sometime you have the desire to change and if the door is open, sometime you try it.

I have though been in same band for 24 year but when I try the help for other bands it is to enjoy the experience that I do it. :D

jambo

A 'poacher' in banding terms.

Sounds quite sinister doesnt it...

Young usnsuspecting tallented players being bagged and bound as they make their way from the pub after a leisurly post rehersal pint..waking up in a strange band room and being forced to play?!

Na, poaching is just enticing a player to join your band from another one. Whether they are pursuaded by money, the standard of the band, contests that the band are in or just not having the bottle to say no it all has the same effect. They leave and join elsewhere.

The thing is people arnt going to leave a band where they're happy unless its for a very good reason. Mopst players who improve their own standard of playing want to play in a good top section band and to experience the national, the open etc. When given the oppertunity many will go. Its a shame for the lower section bands who lose out but from an individual perspective, I moved up through the ranks when given the oppertunity recieving critisism from the bands I left.

This usually makes your decision easier, I'd never say burn your bridges but the attitude from some people who snipe at those players wanting to move on sometimes stinks! From a band point of view its dissapointing to lose a player but its always going to happen!

Sharpy

Just before the last Area contest we had a player "poached" from us. He was an ex-member who wasn't happy with the band he'd gone to. Fair enough he hadn't done the 6 months required, so we duely wrote to the poeple in charge and pleaded his case for coming back to us. The upshot being he could come back as long as he didn't re-register with another band for 12 months.
As soon as said player heard this, he decided he couldn't see himself in our band for the next 12 months and signed for another band.
This wouldn't have been so annoying but for the fact that certain members of my band who were on the committee at the time called in a lot of favours and did a lot of grovelling so this guy could rejoin us. And then he goes and joins another band. I don't know whether he was poached but it certainly looked that way to us.
But on reflection, if thats the kind of guy he is then I think we're better off as a band without him. If your not happy with your band thats fine but at least be honest and if you are asked to play for another band be upfront too. There is nothing wrong with wanting to better yourself as player, but at least consider what you are doing to the smaller local bands who don't have a large catchment area for recruiting your replacement.

Product tMP members are discussing