The Piper O' Dundee

EbHorny

Just bought 'The Piper O' Dundee' horn solo. Superb!!

One problem though, a ****** impossible bar halfway down the first page!

Anyone else bought it yet?? What do you all think of it?

Please do not try to outfox the bleeper. Mod

Lauradoll

We've played it at BT with our solo horn player Helen Varley. (Tenor horn champion of GB). She's on here as Helen V, maybe she can help. Great piece though!! Good luck!

Aidan

yeah its a great piece. Commisioned for Sheona some years ago. Brilliant solo, sounds good and not too hard. I presume you're on about the semi-triplets bars? Its not too tricky, as long as you dont split the first note (C is it?) then rest rolls off the fingers. Good luck :)

asteria

Aye, Piper O' Dundee is one of my favourites, certainly the best addition to the horn repertoire in recent years!
First time i heard Sheona playing a solo was on the radio when she first recorded Piper with YBS and i was blown away!

Yeah that triplet bar is a bugger, but just practice it reeaaalllllyy sllloowwwllyy and gradually speed it up, after a couple of weeks it's a lot easier! :D

asteria

Helen V said:
Yeah that triplet bar is a *beep*, but just practice it reeaaalllllyy sllloowwwllyy and gradually speed it up, after a couple of weeks it's a lot easier! :D

I wasn't aware that was even a swear word, it's not even offensive!!

Keppler

Staff member
I knew someone would ask that..

Helen, pm or email me and I'll check the bleeper.. (working overtime these days, so it might be taking revenge)

returning to topic...

Okiedokie of Oz

Played it at a concert last year, the soloist was superb. She appeared to struggle more with the top of the second page.....too long ago to remember what exactly happened.

jambo

Heard Helen V play it at Dobx the other month and was really impressed...of course with Helens playing but in also with the Solo as i'd never heard it before.

Needless to say, if you can play it, do so coz its a great solo.
And of course, keep it up Helen, good work!
:wink: :lol:

horn1

Yeah, it's excellent, both piece and recording. I think I'll have a bit of a look at it before I take it too band though! :shock:

dickiesplitz

I've played it at Flowers with our solo horn Richard Knight.

He made it sound easy, but then again he makes everything sound easy!

Don't you just hate people like that?

hornette

I've tried looking at it for an audition I have coming up and I thought I was going well until I heard Sheona's version on the CD... she's incredible! Now I'm moving onto something that won't make me look so ridiculous! :oops: